The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Cheers mate, appreciated. Hoping I'll pull a jammy and get dead onto the 1 boundary. :P - I've applied to King's, which means that if I miss my offer in STEP II but do extraordinarily well in III, I'll be pooled somewhere else rather than accepted by King's, given their popularity.

Anywho, thanks for the encouragement. :smile:

I know two people (in two different years) who missed their offer but King's still let them in (including one who got a 3 in a paper) so that's even more reason not to get yourself down - just ace III :smile:
Also, can the paper be found anywhere? Sorry if someone's already posted this
Hi, this is what I got, how many points/what grade should I expect?

2: complete, except I got a solution x=5 instead of x=4 on part (ii) (apparently i'm not good at adding and substracting one digit ints)
3: complete, except for checking double roots in the even case in the last part)
6: did parts (i), (ii), and (iii), not (iv)
7 (that was the question w/ four parts and integrals right?): only part (i)
9: complete, but in the last part I calculated the path of the bullet relative to the table (so b+c instead of b), so I got the value of b wrong
12: complete
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1703
Original post by Alex_Aits
Also, can the paper be found anywhere? Sorry if someone's already posted this

Original post by Alex_Aits
I know two people (in two different years) who missed their offer but King's still let them in (including one who got a 3 in a paper) so that's even more reason not to get yourself down - just ace III :smile:

Oh wow! That does sound promising. I can only hope. :biggrin:

As to your other request, @Insight314 has the paper, he could upload it?
Reply 1704
Original post by pepperzealot
ToT I only did 5 questions…Spent 20mins on the first part of Question 4 and still didn't manage to get it…
Overall,
Did 3 full questions(Q1 Q2 Q7)…
I forget to do the deduce part in Q3 which is deduce there is only 1 root of fn(x)…But I have stated the number of roots in the cases n is odd and even… how many marks will I lose?
For Q6, I didn't do the last part which is too prove v(x)=yn(ym(x))something…
How many marks will I got?
I feel like I can not meet my offer as it is an S in STEP II…

20 + 20 + 20 + 17 + 12 = 89, certainly a 1, highly unlikely it's an S - but Cambridge normally lets in 1, 1 even for people whose offer was S, 1.
Reply 1705
Haven't posted here before but can someone please help estimate what I got? I need a 1 for my Cambridge offer.

Q3: Done everything bar justification for number of roots for odd and even cases. (I did mention number of roots for each cases but I think my proof/justification is wrong, so I guess the A1 marks are nullified? Sketch and explanation for f'(a)f'(b)>0 a bit sketchy but passable, since i did them near the end of exam.

Q4: Done everything up to finding tan(theta), but failed to find the values of x.

Q5: The binomial coefficient question. Done (i), (ii). Didn't do (iii).

Q6: The differential equation question. Done only parts (i) and (ii) which I guess worth very little. Stuck on proving the differential equation although I did verify the case for n=1.

Q7: Integration question. Full.

Q12: Full
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kznil
Haven't posted here before but can someone please help estimate what I got? I need a 1 for my Cambridge offer.

Q3: Done everything bar justification for number of roots for odd and even cases. (I did mention number of roots for each cases but I think my proof/justification is wrong, so I guess the A1 marks are nullified? Sketch and explanation for f'(a)f'(b)>0 a bit sketchy but passable, since i did them near the end of exam.

Q4: Done everything up to finding tan(theta), but failed to find the values of x.

Q5: The binomial coefficient question. Done (i), (ii). Didn't do (iii).

Q6: The differential equation question. Done only parts (i) and (ii) which I guess worth very little. Stuck on proving the differential equation although I did verify the case for n=1.

Q7: Integration. Full but I forgot to add constant for all integrals in (i),(ii),(iii),(iv). Really careless.

Q12: Full

I dont think youll lose marks for adding constants, they were definite integrals
Reply 1707
Original post by kznil
Q7: Integration. Full but I forgot to add constant for all integrals in (i),(ii),(iii),(iv). Really careless.

They were definite integrals, why would you need a constant? :tongue:
Seems like you've gotten enough marks for a 1 though so don't worry!
Reply 1708
Original post by KingRS
I dont think youll lose marks for adding constants, they were definite integrals

Original post by Hauss
They were definite integrals, why would you need a constant? :tongue:
Seems like you've gotten enough marks for a 1 though so don't worry!

Lol, facepalmed.:redface: I came out of the exam feeling so dazed that I automatically assumed I dropped a mark or two when someone said they added a constant and I didn't.
Reply 1709
Wasn't the factor theorem something among the lines of "If f(x) is a polynomial in x and f(a)=0, it follows that (x-a) divides f(x)" (or the other way around)? In any case, I missed seeing the point of Q2. I managed to get 2 fulls - Q3 and Q7 (part (iv) I substituted x = pi/4-t and then t = pi/2-theta and actually got to something plausible lol), two partials - Q4 and Q6, only the first part of Q5 and the three probabilities in Q12. BTW, are those 1/n, 1/(n(n-1)) and 1/(n(n-1)(n-2)) respectively?
Reply 1710
Original post by to4ka
Wasn't the factor theorem something among the lines of "If f(x) is a polynomial in x and f(a)=0, it follows that (x-a) divides f(x)" (or the other way around)? In any case, I missed seeing the point of Q2. I managed to get 2 fulls - Q3 and Q7 (part (iv) I substituted x = pi/4-t and then t = pi/2-theta and actually got to something plausible lol), two partials - Q4 and Q6, only the first part of Q5 and the three probabilities in Q12. BTW, are those 1/n, 1/(n(n-1)) and 1/(n(n-1)(n-2)) respectively?

Q12 probabilities are correct.
In Q2 you can see the expression as a polynomial in c, and when c = a+b the polynomial is 0 so (a+b-c) is a factor.
Did anyone else do (iv) by integrating by parts with x and 1/cosx(cosx+sinx)? Seems like everyone else used other methods.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1712
Original post by Hauss
Q12 probabilities are correct.
In Q2 you can see the expression as a polynomial in c, and when c = a+b the polynomial is 0 so (a+b-c) is a factor.

That's too hard for me to spot - and I feel I'm not the only one, considering almost everyone here didn't attempt that question. *hopes for ez step iii*
Reply 1713
Can someone estimate my mark please 😞:

1: Did the sketch and found both intersections but didn't get very far on the first part, found gradients and equations of tangent (one of which I think was correct)

2: Not much, showed a+b+c was a factor then found x=1 on the cubic

3: showed that f'(x) was fn-1 and that a was negative

Differential eqn: verified both equations and proved the result for z, then differentiated v but didn't get very far

Integration: did first three parts correctly then next to nothing of the last part

Other integration: drew a vague sketch with some trapezii, couldn't prove the result. Got the three approximations and showed the error.

Q13: Proved all three results but only had continuity corrections on the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by to4ka
That's too hard for me to spot - and I feel I'm not the only one, considering almost everyone here didn't attempt that question. *hopes for ez step iii*

Yeah, when I couldn't see what to do in the exam I was worried that I was going to miss a really easy question by failing to see something obvious, but it seems that most people found it a hard spot.
Original post by to4ka
Wasn't the factor theorem something among the lines of "If f(x) is a polynomial in x and f(a)=0, it follows that (x-a) divides f(x)" (or the other way around)?

If it was the other way round that would be a pretty trivial theorem lol.
Could someone provide me some insight into what mark I could've gotten for STEP II:

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
19 + 17 + 11 + 19 + 18 + 14 = 98

If only and I can die a happy man :wink: And yea I am certain urs is much higher than you say. At the extreme minimum high 70s.
Original post by Joshthemathmo
Could someone provide me some insight into what mark I could've gotten for STEP II:

Spoiler

Im afraid I didnt do the applied but the for pure Id guess about 14/15+20+17 so about 51 :smile:
Original post by EnglishMuon
Im afraid I didnt do the applied but the for pure Id guess about 14/15+20+17 so about 51 :smile:

Okay, they seem to be rather high(?) I was expecting 15 for 8 and 10 for 6. But never mind and thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending