The Student Room Group

22nd June: What’s in your festival survival kit?

As we gear up for Glastonbury, it’s time for The Surgery to get you festival ready.

What do you need to take for a festival win? What’s the best outfit for a muddy field in Somerset? What do you do if you lose all your mates?

Share your tips for a top festival experience below, and tune in on Wednesday 22nd June at 9pm on BBC Radio 1 for Gemma and Radha’s advice on how to have a good one.

Please note: you can post anonymously in this forum.

Scroll to see replies

A bunch of mercenaries just in case your boyfriend cheats on you :colone:
A postal vote.
Water, although some have odd restrictions on bringing water into festivals.
Definitely take one of them phone recharge box things, I had no charge when I went to Leeds festival last year and it sucked, you could pay to charge your phone there but it was really expensive!
Just been at Download festival, it was incredibly wet and muddy, and the following things let me still manage to have a good time:

Decent poncho (not a cheapy thin one) - that can fit over a backpack
Long (comfy) wellies and long welly socks
Toilet wet wipes and baby wipes
Hip flask to sneak in your wellies :smile:
Portable phone charger - I have an "Anker PowerCore" which charges my phone fully around 4/5 times
Big warm hoodie
Bucket/flannel to have a wash in the tent (not easy to shower every day)
Ear plugs
Plenty of cash (there were huge queues for cash points) although keep it safe on your body
Awesome friends :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by BBC Radio 1
As we gear up for Glastonbury, it’s time for The Surgery to get you festival ready.

What do you need to take for a festival win? What’s the best outfit for a muddy field in Somerset? What do you do if you lose all your mates?

Share your tips for a top festival experience below, and tune in on Wednesday 22nd June at 9pm on BBC Radio 1 for Gemma and Radha’s advice on how to have a good one.

Please note: you can post anonymously in this forum.

Always make sure you have a meeting point, if you lose anyone if your group you can always find them back there! If it's quite a small crowd, wear bright colours or something that others can noticeably see! :biggrin:
Original post by Pickles
Always make sure you have a meeting point, if you lose anyone if your group you can always find them back there! If it's quite a small crowd, wear bright colours or something that others can noticeably see! :biggrin:

Also try picking a less obvious meeting point.. We picked the "Download Dog" which was a huge model dog in the middle of the Arena... so did everyone else! So we still couldn't find each other at the end of the night :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by jenhasdreams
Also try picking a less obvious meeting point.. We picked the "Download Dog" which was a huge model dog in the middle of the Arena... so did everyone else! So we still couldn't find each other at the end of the night :lol:

:laugh: I can imagine that was ruff
Original post by Pickles

We must have been barking to choose it
We must have been barking to choose it

Original post by Pickles

Unacceptable. :hmmm:
Condoms
Original post by iEthan

Meeting points are the best place to retriever (lol) your friends though
Original post by iEthan

Sorry, they were pawful puns :frown:
Original post by Pickles
Meeting points are the best place to retriever (lol) your friends though

Sorry, they were pawful puns :frown:

I'm done :toofunny:
A trolley. I will never go back to carrying my stuff. And don't use a cheap trolley with piddly wheels - esp for glasto. The road in is a trail of collapsed and abandoned trolleys and sleds. If you have more than people in your group then take the bare minimum of tent plus airbeds, get the tent up and leave someone blowing up mattreses and get the rest on a second trip. Also if it's muddy stop when you get given your freebies at the gate and pack them in your bag. Once you drop your nice bag and program in the mud you won't have a nice souvenir.

A ribbon to tie on the arial of your car (and take photos of the route back to the car at every junction/turning on your way in. EVERY YEAR I end up wasting time on the way home trying to find my car).

If you go to glasto use the lockups. You can put your trolley in them. And your car keys. 100% free, secure and reliable. They also give out free bog roll.

At glasto - if it is your first year go to and info point and get one of the big A3 maps. Mark where your tent is and keep it with you. When you get lost it will mean people will be able to help. Info points also give out free sun screen.

CLASHFINDER.
Btw any free tickets (don't tell me to phone dev tomorrow I can't do that spot the artist ****:frown:)?

Second year running ticketless:moon:

Broke my streak from 2003 :mad:
Don't bring: a camping stove. You won't use it and food and drink at glasto just isn't that expensive - you can eat for free at the hari krishna tent. Plus the food is lovely - save a bit of extra cash and eat like a queen. I eat non stop at glasto and have never spent more that £200 (I always budget £50 a day - £300 total - and come home with nearly half)

At the most bring a couple of disposable bbqs for the first night. Beyond that you aren't going to bother cooking.
ket.jpg
Soap and a flannel. I'm not sure how; but I forgot. :redface:

Something to wash your dishes with. We went to one last year and cooked most of our food and not one of us remembered to bring washing up liquid. :lol: Someone did bring a tea towel though!

Travel towels. They fold up much smaller than your bog standard bath towels.

Insect repellent

Decent ear plugs. I can't say I appreciated being woken up by someone snoring...

A bin bag or two. Whilst there will be bins there, we did find they were quite far away

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending