The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MacroniCheese
Good stuff! You should be good to go by next Wednesday :smile:

Looool I hope so XD Won't stop me from worrying myself like crazy though hahaha :smile:
Hey guys, anybody got any tips on EXAM TECHNIQUE?? Im so sussed by it, I just cant seem to hack that understanding of what it is and how to master it :frown: whelp.
@samb1234 @Ayman! Can someone explain why the reaction on the right occurs by addition?

lol.JPG
Reply 1443
Original post by keres
15 cm3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon requires 90 cm3 of oxygen for completecombustion, both volumes being measured at 15􀁱C and 1 atm. The formula of thehydrocarbon is

A C4H6
B C4H8
C C4H10
D impossible to calculate without knowing the molar volume of gases underthese conditions.

Guys how do you do this? Please help

Original post by keres
15 cm3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon requires 90 cm3 of oxygen for completecombustion, both volumes being measured at 15􀁱C and 1 atm. The formula of thehydrocarbon is

A C4H6
B C4H8
C C4H10
D impossible to calculate without knowing the molar volume of gases underthese conditions.

Guys how do you do this? Please help

Anyone? :') x
Reply 1444
Original post by Don Pedro K.
@samb1234 @Ayman! Can someone explain why the reaction on the right occurs by addition?

lol.JPG

It's because benzene needs to undergo substitution reactions because the delocalised ring of electrons needs to be maintained for stability - however with cyclohexa1-3 diene, there is no delocalised ring structure. it is comprised of 3 double bonds, and double bonds can undergo addition reactions.
Original post by keres
It's because benzene needs to undergo substitution reactions because the delocalised ring of electrons needs to be maintained for stability - however with cyclohexa1-3 diene, there is no delocalised ring structure. it is comprised of 3 double bonds, and double bonds can undergo addition reactions.

Ahhh of course! Thank you :smile:!
Original post by keres
Anyone? :':wink: x

What's the answer for this?
Reply 1447
Original post by sabahshahed294
What's the answer for this?

B x
Original post by keres
B x

I did it like this:-
We have the volume of the hydrocarbon and oxygen given to us(gaseous volumes) so I used the equation, moles=volume/molar volume and found the moles of both the hydrocarbon and oxygen which had a ratio of 1:6. As this is a complete combustion, we know the products are gonna be Carbon Dioxide and Water. So, I just wrote the equation using the molar ratio I calculated:-

CxHy + 6O2----> 4CO2+4H20.

There are total 12 oxygen atoms so to balance them, I wrote 4 CO2 and 4H20.
This means that carbon:hydrogen ratio is 1:2 hence 4:8 in this case which is why you get C4H8 as the answer(B)
Original post by MacroniCheese
Good stuff! You should be good to go by next Wednesday :smile:

You know you're on TSR when 'good to go' = 120 ums. xD

lol.JPG

It's an alkene
Anyone know if anyone got anywhere with putting together an unofficial mark scheme?
Hey - what compound do diazonium ions decompose to when heated above 10oC? Was on a past paper but I've forgotten!
Original post by gabby07
Hey - what compound do diazonium ions decompose to when heated above 10oC? Was on a past paper but I've forgotten!

phenol
Original post by samb1234
phenol

Have you tried June 2013 (R)?
Have you tried June 2013 (R)?

not yet only done june 2013 so far
Original post by samb1234
not yet only done june 2013 so far

Okay haha :smile:
How come the answer is C here? I thought it'd be A as the electrodes are the same metals as those in solution?

Original post by Peppercrunch
How come the answer is C here? I thought it'd be A as the electrodes are the same metals as those in solution?

if you put iron you'd set up potential of Fe/Fe2+ and Fe/Fe3+
Original post by Peppercrunch

If you look at the beaker on the right, you can see that the solution contains a mixture of FeSO4 (Fe2+ ions) and Fe2(SO4)3 (Fe3+) ions. Hence, there is no metal iron involved. The electrode is therefore made out of platinum, which is kind of the convention.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending