The Student Room Group

Are all blood tests the same?

Going for a lung blood test,so are blood tests the same?
No
Reply 2
Original post by Etomidate
No

can you please explain?
Original post by ifmtg
can you please explain?

There are blood tests to measure the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, your kidney function, your liver function, the many inflammatory markers, the pH of your blood, loads of hormone tests, screens for infections, endless autoantibody tests etc etc etc.

The list is endless.
Reply 4
There are blood tests to measure the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, your kidney function, your liver function, the many inflammatory markers, the pH of your blood, loads of hormone tests, screens for infections, endless autoantibody tests etc etc etc.

The list is endless.

Does the lung blood test i am going for reveal everything in my system?
Original post by ifmtg
Does the lung blood test i am going for reveal everything in my system?

As in recreational drugs? No.
Reply 6
As in recreational drugs? No.

no diagnose something such as diabetics etc
Nope.
Original post by ifmtg
no diagnose something such as diabetics etc

Depends if they test for diabetes.

You have to specifically know what you're looking for. You don't just plug a tube of blood into a machine and it goes "ping! diabetes!".
Reply 9
Depends if they test for diabetes.

You have to specifically know what you're looking for. You don't just plug a tube of blood into a machine and it goes "ping! diabetes!".

My lungs are getting checked using blood test,so I was just asking if all blood tests are the same, meaning do they reveal diseases you are suffering from .
Original post by ifmtg
My lungs are getting checked using blood test,so I was just asking if all blood tests are the same, meaning do they reveal diseases you are suffering from .

No, there are hundreds of tests that could be done on blood. Your Drs will tell the labs to do certain tests, depending on what they suspect is wrong with your lungs. So if they think (and I'm completely making this up) your haemglobin cells aren't large enough, they'll do the haemaglobin size test, if they think you got Bug A, they'll do the Bug A test, but they won't automatically do the Bug B, C, D, E etc tests, unless the Dr asks for them. You can ask the Drs what they are testing for.
Original post by ifmtg

Yes, and I've answered your question, have I not?

Blood tests reveal diseases providing the doctor has requested the specific blood test for that disease, if one exists.

There is no "lung" blood test, but if a doctor thinks you have a chest infection, they might test your blood for raised white blood cells and markers of inflammation. If he doesn't ask the lab to test for diabetes, then the results won't reveal that information.
It might not be strictly relevant, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this bizarre thread. thanks all
no all bllod tests are not same

Quick Reply

Latest