The Student Room Group

WJEC C4 17th June 2016

Other thread should probably be C3 only to avoid clutter.

People confident about this one?

I really need to remember the different combos of cos double angles, I keep slipping up on those

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please can we all agree to just use this thread on Friday and not switch between the two? It'll get so confusing/annoying otherwise 😂
do you think C4 will be easier or harder than c3
Reply 3
Original post by caitanna98
do you think C4 will be easier or harder than c3

Harder. Definitely. Means lower grade boundaries though hopefully
Original post by Jack1066
Harder. Definitely. Means lower grade boundaries though hopefully

im guessing you found c3 easy then? i thought c3 this year was much harder than last year:frown:
Reply 5
Original post by caitanna98
im guessing you found c3 easy then? i thought c3 this year was much harder than last year:frown:

I definitely did not find c3 easy. It was a tough paper but I found 2015 c3 really difficult when I did it as a paper. If c3 was the same difficulty more or less than last years, then last years c4 should remain around the same. And last years c4 paper was apparently stupidly difficult. It was 66% for an A, and to get full UMS, you only needed 80%. 80% ----> full marks must mean it was an insanely difficult paper for a lot of people
Do we need to know Cartesian formula?
Reply 7
Original post by BubbleLover98
Do we need to know Cartesian formula?

Yes you do I remember seeing it in a past paper. What is it?
Reply 8
What are people that are aiming for an A* doing to prepare?

I've done all of the past papers at least twice now but feel like I need to do more practice for the harder 'extra' parts of questions
Original post by Jack1066
Yes you do I remember seeing it in a past paper. What is it?

I don't actually know. My maths tutor has just given me a page of some examples but haven't really gone through it properly! Do you remember which past paper you saw it in?
Original post by aehr
What are people that are aiming for an A* doing to prepare?

I've done all of the past papers at least twice now but feel like I need to do more practice for the harder 'extra' parts of questions

Instead of spending 60-75 minutes doing a whole past paper, you should just search through papers for individual questions where the answer isn't immediately obvious to you. Also... GET FAMILIAR WITH AS MATHS AGAIN. They might throw in another flowerbed type question.
Reply 11
Original post by roganjosh4444
Instead of spending 60-75 minutes doing a whole past paper, you should just search through papers for individual questions where the answer isn't immediately obvious to you. Also... GET FAMILIAR WITH AS MATHS AGAIN. They might throw in another flowerbed type question.

Yeah I'm definitely not familiar with AS maths anymore haha, do you have any idea what areas they could ask about? What would be good to look over? I don't think I can face/have time to go over it all!
Like in C3 it was clear from the past papers that were links to completing the square, discriminant roots and stationary points etc (despite the circle question coming out of nowhere!)
Reply 12

And yeah, that is a good idea and more efficient! I have done that a bit. It's just after I have been through a question when I see it again I kinda just remember the solution rather than actually figuring out how to work it out if you get me. Just wish there were more past papers like in c3!
Original post by aehr
And yeah, that is a good idea and more efficient! I have done that a bit. It's just after I have been through a question when I see it again I kinda just remember the solution rather than actually figuring out how to work it out if you get me. Just wish there were more past papers like in c3!

Yeah I get that, but the way I see it the papers are usually made up of 80-85% routine questions that should be simple to someone who's been revising from the past papers, and then one or two questions that haven't been on before and either require being lucky enough to have revised some obscure part of the syllabus (or even something not on the syllabus) or be intuitive enough to see what you have to do. So if you're finding the past papers easy or even tedious at this point, that just means you'll be able to fly through the routine questions, leaving you with plenty of time to think about the A* questions.
Any predictions for proof by contradiction?
Reply 15
Yeah I get that, but the way I see it the papers are usually made up of 80-85% routine questions that should be simple to someone who's been revising from the past papers, and then one or two questions that haven't been on before and either require being lucky enough to have revised some obscure part of the syllabus (or even something not on the syllabus) or be intuitive enough to see what you have to do. So if you're finding the past papers easy or even tedious at this point, that just means you'll be able to fly through the routine questions, leaving you with plenty of time to think about the A* questions.

good point! thanks for putting my mins slightly at ease :smile:
what stuff from AS are you going over?

also, goooooood luck for today!
Well that was an interesting paper to say the least.....
Reply 17
Original post by EJRicketts
Well that was an interesting paper to say the least.....

Agreed ahahaha. I really hope mathemateg's mark scheme is up today

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did people find it?
Reply 19
Original post by Hydeman
How did people find it?

I thought it was good apart from the second part to question 3 and 4

Quick Reply

Latest