The Student Room Group

The world is a better place without religion. Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hogree

As for morals unexplained by evolution, I'd say you'd have to look deeper- I mean, let's give an example - why is it morally wrong to be selfish? Evolutionarily, the answer would be that it hurts the group. Then, why is it morally wrong to hurt the group? I guess the answer would be that the species wouldn't survive? But why should I want the species to survive? Why should I want myself to survive? All of these seem to depend on prior moral notions - that there is something good and something bad.

Technically, the survival of the species is part of evolution, it's actually not all about yourself. If the community wouldn't survive because of selfishness, then that community can be wiped out, whereas a community with a lack of selfishness would survive and these "moral" characteristics may be passed on.

Though there are more suitable examples that are not due to evolution. Technically there's nothing "wrong" with rape. In an evolutionary perspective, rape can be actually be considered a good thing to help procreation (survival of the species).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hogree
Sure, babies have been sacrificed tragically but that certainly isn't "for fun", but rather for a man-made purpose. I'd suggest the permitting of murder merely for the "fun of it" would not be in any cultures, anywhere. But even if not, the question isn't whether other cultures have taken part in a practice as such but whether it would be appropriate or "morally acceptable" for that to be okay in any situation. Sure, the culture may have done something - that doesn't mean it was a right thing to do.

As for morals unexplained by evolution, I'd say you'd have to look deeper- I mean, let's give an example - why is it morally wrong to be selfish? Evolutionarily, the answer would be that it hurts the group. Then, why is it morally wrong to hurt the group? I guess the answer would be that the species wouldn't survive? But why should I want the species to survive? Why should I want myself to survive? All of these seem to depend on prior moral notions - that there is something good and something bad.

Torturing doesn't have to be for fun, most torture is used to extract information, not for gleeful purposes. And that aside, babies have still been sacrificed so presumably those societies would have seen it is as perfectly acceptable and perhaps even necessary if it were to appease gods. Now however we would consider that abhorrent and ridiculous. I'm not sure something can only be labelled as right if it's only right in every situation. If, as in this example, babies were sacrificed then it must be assumed that that was seen as right, at least in that specific context.

Even today our morals are not rigid and generally not applicable to all situations. For example, most people would condemn random murders, but many have no problem with murders committed by soldiers in the name of war, heroism etc.

Even in countries people's moral opinions can vary wildly. If there were a universal, in built moral law then I'd expect to see much more coherence: nationally, internationally and across the ages.

Why wouldn't you want to survive? That is the fundamental drive of all creatures but I'm not sure what wanting to reproduce has to do with morality. The desire itself to reproduce is neither more nor immoral, it's the actions based on this drive that are being considered here.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, it is better with religion. Religion funnily enough preserved a lot of scientific knowledge, so it actually turns out we are more advanced as we would have been as a result.
without religion and my beliefs I would have no purpose in life ...
Original post by carolinrev
without religion and my beliefs I would have no purpose in life ...

me 2 years ago . I can clearly remember thinking that I'm going to commit suicide if I become an atheist because what's the point anyway.
However I also liked science and I thought perhaps I can follow them both ... I couldn't , I just couldn't no matter how much I tried .
At first I tried to be skeptical about science ... worst failure ever . Being skeptical to religion came naturally.
It was my worst year of my life such a painful procedure but it turns out I'm still alive , I didn't kill myself I learnt to value other more beautiful concepts such as nature and humanity . My opinion now (take it with a grain of salt) : nature gives more meaning to my life than religions did , I passionately want to discover its secrets (how it all began, what is life and how it works, what's going on in the subatomic level ...they can all be reduced to what's that interesting game nature is playing) and also want a better world I really don't think religion is the problem as long as people don't believe everything in their holy book by word (sometimes it is quiet problematic don't you think?) and what I really want from threads like these is a fruitful discussion rather than an attack-defend and attack discussion so that everybody can gain something from it ; I'd really like to make a discussion with switched ideologies so that a christian defends atheism against an atheist who defends christianity (I think it could have some interesting results ...)
Original post by Andy98
Sometimes it's hard to tell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes i guess
Original post by Retired_Messiah
But the ideas of Karma and treat others as you would like to be treated both came out of religious philosophy. It's not a case of "we didn't need religion to do those", but religion did provide those and thus religion has done some good.

Furthermore, I would argue if a bloke that was "just a philosopher" came up with those, the ideas probably wouldn't have hit the mainstream. For example you don't see many average people consciously following Kant's categorical imperative to make moral decisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Crusade

Second paragraph, m8 :wink:

I guess but i'm not denying they didn't do good but eventually someone else would've come up with the idea if religion didn't. Then again what about all the bad that religion has caused blah blah blah etc etc.

I'm sure this has been used to make some rules in the world somewhere, maybe it was germany?

Ah ok thanks :smile:
Original post by Vesniep
me 2 years ago . I can clearly remember thinking that I'm going to commit suicide if I become an atheist because what's the point anyway.
However I also liked science and I thought perhaps I can follow them both ... I couldn't , I just couldn't no matter how much I tried .
At first I tried to be skeptical about science ... worst failure ever . Being skeptical to religion came naturally.
It was my worst year of my life such a painful procedure but it turns out I'm still alive , I didn't kill myself I learnt to value other more beautiful concepts such as nature and humanity . My opinion now (take it with a grain of salt) : nature gives more meaning to my life than religions did , I passionately want to discover its secrets (how it all began, what is life and how it works, what's going on in the subatomic level ...they can all be reduced to what's that interesting game nature is playing) and also want a better world I really don't think religion is the problem as long as people don't believe everything in their holy book by word (sometimes it is quiet problematic don't you think?) and what I really want from threads like these is a fruitful discussion rather than an attack-defend and attack discussion so that everybody can gain something from it ; I'd really like to make a discussion with switched ideologies so that a christian defends atheism against an atheist who defends christianity (I think it could have some interesting results ...)

interesting ... me being a Christian have never thought to support an atheist idea and is something maybe I would try... but equally my religion does Identify me and I have tried to balance both nature and societies beliefs. And ur ideas are really good u should try it out...
Original post by fartinugget
I guess but i'm not denying they didn't do good but eventually someone else would've come up with the idea if religion didn't. Then again what about all the bad that religion has caused blah blah blah etc etc.

Many people/things have done a combination of good and bad things. See: My dog, my mum, me, Britain, the EU, Japan, Oxford University....uhhh.... sheesh. Are we going to say that we should never have had any of these or is there a measurement in there somewhere?

I'm sure this has been used to make some rules in the world somewhere, maybe it was germany?
It would've been Germany if anywhere, seeing as Kant was German.
Many people/things have done a combination of good and bad things. See: My dog, my mum, me, Britain, the EU, Japan, Oxford University....uhhh.... sheesh. Are we going to say that we should never have had any of these or is there a measurement in there somewhere?

It would've been Germany if anywhere, seeing as Kant was German.

Not saying that non religious people don't do bad things but religion doesn't seem greatly useful to the majority and it opens up a new world of opportunities, to start wars, to make peace or to really do anything else they want

Good point xD
Original post by fartinugget
Not saying that non religious people don't do bad things but religion doesn't seem greatly useful to the majority and it opens up a new world of opportunities, to start wars, to make peace or to really do anything else they want

Generally, people that are absolute ***** will find any avenue they can to do *****y things anyway, regardless of religion. WW1 definitely didn't have any basis in religion but that didn't stop it being the biggest war people had ever seen.

Lots of things aren't "useful" to the majority but we choose to have them around anyway for the sake of comfort and making people happy. Junk food is a good example that comes to mind.
Reply 110
It's a fact.
I don't see what there is to discuss?
Generally, people that are absolute ***** will find any avenue they can to do *****y things anyway, regardless of religion. WW1 definitely didn't have any basis in religion but that didn't stop it being the biggest war people had ever seen.

Lots of things aren't "useful" to the majority but we choose to have them around anyway for the sake of comfort and making people happy. Junk food is a good example that comes to mind.

I guess but if religion wasn't around then there would be less wars, less disputes and just a more technologically advanced world
Original post by JC.
It's a fact.
I don't see what there is to discuss?

so you agree? why?

Quick Reply

Latest