The Student Room Group

RE: beating wives in islam

As i search for God and study Islam, i found something to be very disturbing in the Quran. How can Allah, the God of everything in the universe, allow husbands to hit their wives.But those [wives] from whom you fear betrayal - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], leave them alone in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they mend their ways, seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted. (Quran 4:34) As i searched more, i found that the word translated as “to strike” is “Idriboo-hunn” from the root word “Daraabaa”. This one word in Arabic has multiple meanings and is used in Quran many times with different meanings, such as

-To travel, to get out: 3:156; 4:101; 38:44; 73:20; 2:273

-To strike: 2:60,73; 7:160; 8:12; 20:77; 24:31; 26:63; 37:93; 47:4

To beat: 8:50; 47:27

To set up: 43:58; 57:13

To give (examples): 14:24,45; 16:75,76,112; 18:32,45; 24:35; 30:28,58; 36:78; 39:27,29; 43:17; 59:21; 66:10,11

To separate, to ignore: 43:5

To condemn: 2:61

To seal, to draw over: 18:11

To cover: 24:31

To explain: 13:17

To my horror, most of the renowned scholars have translated this word to mean “to strike” even though it goes against the spirit of the Quranic use of the word “Idriboo”. Whenever Idriboo is used in a way of telling anyone “to strike” anything, the object of hitting or which body part to hit is also always described:

2:60 Strike the rock with your staff

8:012 Strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them

20:77 Strike the sea with your staff

So in essence, Allah can never give permission to a Husband “to strike” or “Idriboo-hunn” his wife without specifying the object to hit with or the body part hence giving the Husband unhindered permission to hit the wife in whatever way he wants. This is NOT POSSIBLE especially when Allah tells Husbands to treat their wives with “extreme kindness” (Quran 4:19). I fail to understand that why most scholars did not translate this word to simply mean “To Separate”. Hence, with this meaning, the verse 4:34 becomes clear and logical. But those [wives] from whom you fear betrayal - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], leave them alone in bed; and [finally], separate from them. But if they mend their ways, seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted. (Al Quran 4:34)This makes more sense as Allah tells in the very next verse that what to do incase of separation:And if you fear dissension between the two, send an arbitrator from his people and an arbitrator from her people. If they both desire reconciliation, Allah will cause it between them. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Acquainted [with all things]. (Quran 4:35)Allah knows best.Hamza Ali Abbasi (Dec 4, 2015)

have a nice day everyone :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i don't believe in this concept, beating anyone is just bad :yep: i would never ever allow my future hubby to beat me otherwise he'll be dead :unimpressed:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't you know, we have the exalted TSR scholars on here who know much more.
Original post by Angry Bird
As i search for God and study Islam, i found something to be very disturbing in the Quran. How can Allah, the God of everything in the universe, allow husbands to hit their wives.But those [wives] from whom you fear betrayal - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], leave them alone in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they mend their ways, seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted. (Quran 4:34) As i searched more, i found that the word translated as “to strike” is “Idriboo-hunn” from the root word “Daraabaa”. This one word in Arabic has multiple meanings and is used in Quran many times with different meanings, such as

To give (examples): 14:24,45; 16:75,76,112; 18:32,45; 24:35; 30:28,58; 36:78; 39:27,29; 43:17; 59:21; 66:10,11

To my horror, most of the renowned scholars have translated this word to mean “to strike” even though it goes against the spirit of the Quranic use of the word “Idriboo”. Whenever Idriboo is used in a way of telling anyone “to strike” anything, the object of hitting or which body part to hit is also always described:

So in essence, Allah can never give permission to a Husband “to strike” or “Idriboo-hunn” his wife without specifying the object to hit with or the body part hence giving the Husband unhindered permission to hit the wife in whatever way he wants. This is NOT POSSIBLE especially when Allah tells Husbands to treat their wives with “extreme kindness” (Quran 4:19). I fail to understand that why most scholars did not translate this word to simply mean “To Separate”. Hence, with this meaning, the verse 4:34 becomes clear and logical. But those [wives] from whom you fear betrayal - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], leave them alone in bed; and [finally], separate from them. But if they mend their ways, seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted. (Al Quran 4:34)This makes more sense as Allah tells in the very next verse that what to do incase of separation:And if you fear dissension between the two, send an arbitrator from his people and an arbitrator from her people. If they both desire reconciliation, Allah will cause it between them. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Acquainted [with all things]. (Quran 4:35)Allah knows best.Hamza Ali Abbasi (Dec 4, 2015)

PRSOM PREACH MY HONEY :congrats:

So much for a benevolent God.
Reply 6

Did you just copy this entire message and forget to leave that out?
Reply 7
You did.

You just copied everything from this guy.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/hamza-ali-abbasi/wife-beating-in-quran/996461747084166/

How embarrassing.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Reply 8
Original post by Calmness
Did you just copy this entire message and forget to leave that out?

its copy and pasted, and no why would I cut it out?
Reply 9
You did.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/hamza-ali-abbasi/wife-beating-in-quran/996461747084166/

How embarrassing.

well obviously lmfao.. as if I'm gonna legitimately go and do research when it's already been done
well obviously lmfao..

Make sure you ensure that everyone knows that it's a copy and paste.
You did.

How embarrassing.

Regardless of where is been copied from, at least take into consideration the points made.

You can interpret the Quran in however peaceful way you like, and extremists can interpret it their own way too.
The truth that you have to accept is that the Quran is too vague and too vulnerable to interpretations, it by no means qualifies as a book of law in any modern country. So don't tell others what to do, you read the book and take whatever meaning you want from it.
Make sure you ensure that everyone knows that it's a copy and paste.

you can clearly see the guys name at the end of the post which you have already pointed out, it also has the date of the post..
Original post by oShahpo
You can interpret the Quran in however peaceful way you like, and extremists can interpret it their own way too.
The truth that you have to accept is that the Quran is too vague and too vulnerable to interpretations, it by no means qualifies as a book of law in any modern country. So don't tell others what to do, you read the book and take whatever meaning you want from it.

I do disagree with you here.

You can actually tell someone that they shouldn't read the Qur'an's violent passages and just go on the peaceful dribble in it, but the question is whether they will accept it and actually listen or not.
I do disagree with you here.

You can actually tell someone that they shouldn't read the Qur'an's violent passages and just go on the peaceful dribble in it, but the question is whether they will accept it and actually listen or not.

What I mean is that you can't tell others how a verse is supposed to be interpreted, there is no correct interpretation specially since most of the terms used in the Quran are so poorly defined they could accommodate anything.
A Hadith regarding Mo hurting his wife, Aisha:

"He said: Was it the darkness (of your shadow) that I saw in front of me? I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you?" Muslim (4:2127)

Hope this helps.

@Cakey_101
Original post by Legendary Quest
A Hadith regarding Mo hurting his wife, Aisha:

"He said: Was it the darkness (of your shadow) that I saw in front of me? I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you?" Muslim (4:2127)

Hope this helps.

@Cakey_101

Bukhari (72:715) - "Aisha said, 'I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women'" Muhammad's own wife complained of the abuse that the women of her religion suffered relative to other women.

Hope this helps

@Cakey_101

In before ISOC explains how it only means light punishment, which is TOTALLY ok.
Original post by oShahpo
What I mean is that you can't tell others how a verse is supposed to be interpreted, there is no correct interpretation specially since most of the terms used in the Quran are so poorly defined they could accommodate anything.

> Extremely important holy book.
> So vague you can interpret it any way you want really.

Maybe they should have used less metaphor right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending