The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GetOverHere
I don't want to be mean, but I was at a conference a few months ago and the chief examiner said that examiners cringe when you do the letter thing, they think it's really childish and it'll reflect badly on your essay. They'd rather you just said it was Petrarchan and got on with saying what the effect is, rather than getting all wrapped up in what the rhyme scheme is. I mean I guess it's too late now, but yeah.

Well hopefully the analysis and points I made about the effect of the Petrarchan elements will overshadow my 'mistake'... I don't think my essay will be reflected too badly if I made relevant and good points consistently and briefly mentioned the rhyme scheme in one sentence. I've been getting A grade essays all year, with 63/70 on my coursework, so I'm not too worried that labelling the rhyme scheme will completely ruin my essay... my teacher also told me not to worry about it at all and she's an examiner.

I really appreciate your concern though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Question 2 was really good? I wanted to make so many more points because I had loads in my head. Literally there was so many points in question 2, so I'm not sure why you think that to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get over yourself mate
Original post by helenalikesyou
Well hopefully the analysis and points I made about the effect of the Petrarchan elements will overshadow my 'mistake'... I don't think my essay will be reflected too badly if I made relevant and good points consistently and briefly mentioned the rhyme scheme in one sentence. I've been getting A grade essays all year, with 63/70 on my coursework, so I'm not too worried that be labelling the rhyme scheme will completely ruin my essay... my teacher also told me not to worry about it at all and she's an examiner.

I really appreciate your concern though.

That's fair enough, I'm not saying it's ruining your essay at all. I'm just saying that if an examiner sees something like that, they're more likely to criticise you on other parts of your essay. They really hate that, in the same way that they hate things like 'In my essay, I will...'. Only telling you what I've been told myself. Well, I guess we'll just have to see what happens, eh?

Oh, and your passive-aggressiveness is not appreciated, especially since I went out of my way to send you my resources, and then told you that if you needed any more help, I was more than happy to give it to you.
Original post by chronicmusic
Get over yourself mate

Get over myself? What, because I found the question to be fine whereas you didn't, instead electing to unfairly criticise it like a petulant child when the majority opinion was that the question was perfectly fine? :/
Original post by mahesh114
Working from last years A and my CW of 68/70 this year, I need rougly 55/80 to secure an A, 62+ for an A*. To be completely honest with you, I hate English as a subject. Hated it in GCSE got A* A*, hated it less (I like WW1/2 literature) got an A, REALLY HATED THIS YEAR (Love isnt my thing in literature). Idk I just wanna revise sleep do it then focus on Maths.

Hey 😊 great results! I was just wondering how you worked out what you would need in the exam for an A because I got fewer UMS than you at AS (168) but I worked out I would need less than 55 for an A overall. I think my coursework this year was roughly 64. Have I done something wrong?
Original post by Amy A x
Hey 😊 great results! I was just wondering how you worked out what you would need in the exam for an A because I got fewer UMS than you at AS (168) but I worked out I would need less than 55 for an A overall. I think my coursework this year was roughly 64. Have I done something wrong?

You need 320 UMS for an A - if your coursework is correct you will need 88 UMS in this exam (I think!) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get over myself? What, because I found the question to be fine whereas you didn't, instead electing to unfairly criticise it like a petulant child when the majority opinion was that the question was perfectly fine? :/

Hahaha yeh mate, says the one who in the message above said "oh, and your passive-aggressive tone is not welcome" "I went out of my way to give you my resources" - oooo have a medal mate you hero
Hahaha yeh mate, says the one who in the message above said "oh, and your passive-aggressive tone is not welcome" "I went out of my way to give you my resources" - oooo have a medal mate you hero

Oh, because ducking my point is just the perfect way to respond? And yeah, if someone's going to be passive-aggressive with me, why should I take that? And I said the other thing because you shouldn't really bite the hand that feeds you. I don't want a medal, stop being so childish. You call yourself an English Literature student yet you can't string together a legible sentence and/or argument :/ I wonder why you couldn't find any points today...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, because ducking my point is just the perfect way to respond? And yeah, if someone's going to be passive-aggressive with me, why should I take that? And I said the other thing because you shouldn't really bite the hand that feeds you. I don't want a medal, stop being so childish. You call yourself an English Literature student yet you can't string together a legible sentence and/or argument :/ I wonder why you couldn't find any points today...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I got full marks in coursework so I must be doing something right
Well I got full marks in coursework so I must be doing something right

Coursework, something your teacher can look over countless times and help you with to the point where it's no longer yours, means nothing if you can't back it up on an exam paper. Try again :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

--------------------------------------

All these shots being fired. :eek::eek4::eek3::eek2: Guys, let's relax a bit. :redface:
Coursework, something your teacher can look over countless times and help you with to the point where it's no longer yours, means nothing if you can't back it up on an exam paper. Try again :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I got 98% on my AS last year. And to be honest, I've fallen into the trap of justifying myself to a sweaty arrogant individual who has got nothing better to do than discredit other people's opinions. I offered my opinion on the thread, and was met with your petty comments about how great you found it. At the end of the day it's subjective, you obviously don't understand liberal ideas, you Trump supporter
Well I got 98% on my AS last year. And to be honest, I've fallen into the trap of justifying myself to a sweaty arrogant individual who has got nothing better to do than discredit other people's opinions. I offered my opinion on the thread, and was met with your petty comments about how great you found it. At the end of the day it's subjective, you obviously don't understand liberal ideas, you Trump supporter

To quote an idiot: "ooo good for you mate, you want a medal mate, yeah mate?"

A sweaty arrogant individual? Yeah, of course that's what I am, just because I'm relaying information that I've picked up to someone else (in a situation which has nothing to do with you anyway). Just because I have a difference in opinion with you, that makes me arrogant? That makes you conceited, my friend. They weren't petty comments; I have the freedom to express if I found it good or not. Pretty much everyone else did too, so you're in the minority as I said before, except you avoided answering me because you knew I was right.

That's quite the reach, isn't it? Opinions on an English question being related to liberal ideas, then calling me a trump supporter? Wowwww you really need to sort your life out, my friend. By the way, I'm Muslim so it'd be pretty awkward if I was a trump supporter, surely :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emsybearboho
You need 320 UMS for an A - if your coursework is correct you will need 88 UMS in this exam (I think!) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I got 69 UMS in the cw this year (about 61 raw marks?) and 168 at AS that would be 237 so wouldn't I need about 83 UMS in the exam? Is this right?
Original post by Amy A x
If I got 69 UMS in the cw this year (about 61 raw marks?) and 168 at AS that would be 237 so wouldn't I need about 83 UMS in the exam? Is this right?

Yep looks right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 275
How do you convert UMS to raw marks?
How does the Internet always fall into argument, even students discussing A levels...

Anyway, my first question could have gone better, I talked about the difference in the speakers, I thought extract one had elements of war poetry ' unremembered lads', I said she was almost motherly. I did mention the ABBA ABBA octet in Petrarch and said at times it created a sense of monotony, especially the rhyme of ' pain' and 'again', and the use of a Petrarchan sonnet seems ironic given how it lacks the grandeur and obsessive love associated with the form, spoke about the image of rain, reinvented elements of the pastoral, not plentiful like in Keats but nature looses things. Also did wider reading of Sylvia Plath's ' daddy', as she is too is alone and isolated by her dead father, but it's anger not a subdued moodand Maud for ghostliness. and isolation in pastoral setting. Item B I thought almost made intellectual love physical, explored this divide and briefly compared it to Sonnet 116, mentioned it's use of quatrains traditional, but the odd mentioning of the typo hung of, creating a comedic sense of madness, in the poem, also very abrupt. On the other hand it was like intellectual love, kissing brain etc, platonic, mentally and physically sensual.

Section B I was really confused, but then compared fear and fantasy towards new love in both extracts, boundaries to new love ( illicit love), with Romeo and Juliet as wider reading, as well as Lolita. Explored class roles and gender roles in item A, strong unities of place, included setting, sense of entrapment seen in repetition of 'bounded', set near Propspero's cell, but their love is transcendent. Compared Miranda's experience to how Adam would see Eve, emphaised by the word form, the only other woman or shape he'd ever seen of a partner. Then in Item D I looked at its realism, awkwardness but intimacy on deeper levels, seen in her translucent skin with light glowing beneath it, almost reinventing love at first sight so that images of love perceptions of lovers etc. Develops and becomes more beautiful over time. Happy with it conceptually, but structurally was a bit of a mess. Hope everyone else did well and my exemplar essays helped :smile:
To quote an idiot: "ooo good for you mate, you want a medal mate, yeah mate?"

A sweaty arrogant individual? Yeah, of course that's what I am, just because I'm relaying information that I've picked up to someone else (in a situation which has nothing to do with you anyway). Just because I have a difference in opinion with you, that makes me arrogant? That makes you conceited, my friend. They weren't petty comments; I have the freedom to express if I found it good or not. Pretty much everyone else did too, so you're in the minority as I said before, except you avoided answering me because you knew I was right.

That's quite the reach, isn't it? Opinions on an English question being related to liberal ideas, then calling me a trump supporter? Wowwww you really need to sort your life out, my friend. By the way, I'm Muslim so it'd be pretty awkward if I was a trump supporter, surely :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even better
Even better

I'm ending this argument so that others can talk about their exam in peace. I hope you'll follow suit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending