The Student Room Group

A-level modules

Hey guys I was just wondering,

Is it rare or really difficult to learn C1-C4, S1, M1, D1, FP1 in 1 year (Year 12 - AS level), considering I've already done C1 before. By this, I mean literally finishing the modules with perfection - getting 95+ UMS on each, except C3 and C4 - 90 UMS. I'd be doing all of them as normal modules, C3 and C4 are just extra modules I want to learn, not take the exam - unless I just destroy them and am confident.

Also, how long would it take to finish all the modules approximately and how much would I have to work everyday?

Info:
I am in Year 11.
Decent talent - not really clever.
I have finished all of C1 before.
(edited 7 years ago)
I learned C1, C2, S1, FP1, M1 and M2 all in one year this year, and that was with a lot of free time I spent just doing nothing.
Id say for each module, estimate time frames to learn them spending 5 hours of teaching per module per week are:

C2 - 3 Months
S1 - 3 Months
FP1 - 4 Months
M1 - 2 Months
M2 - 3 Months (after learning M1)

If you chose to do M1 in year 12, I'd suggest taking M2 instead of D1. It's arguably more valuable knowledge and is very quick to pick up if you're confident with M1and are willing to spend some time on understanding the new concepts.
And if you're wondering about smashing the modules with 95+ UMS for each, I think I've got over 90 in all of them, with 100UMS in C2, S1, M1 and M2. Our C1 paper this year was a bit tricky and FP1 I misread a question ;(

Best of luck!
My Further Maths class did C3 in about 1 and a half months. C4 took about the same time.
Original post by Chittesh14
Hey guys I was just wondering,

Is it rare or really difficult to learn C1-C4, S1, M1, D1, FP1 in 1 year (Year 12 - AS level), considering I've already done C1 before. By this, I mean literally finishing the modules with perfection - getting 95+ UMS on each, except C3 and C4 - 90 UMS. I'd be doing all of them as normal modules, C3 and C4 are just extra modules I want to learn, not take the exam - unless I just destroy them and am confident.

Also, how long would it take to finish all the modules approximately and how much would I have to work everyday?

Info:
I am in Year 11.
Decent talent - not really clever.
I have finished all of C1 before.

Not rare but it's not uncommon for people not to do very well for those amount of exams in a year.(usually it's the best of the mathematicians who do FM)

You sound like you're very smart, if you're getting those sort of UMS and marks then i say go for it.
You have to take C3 and 4 though if you want to do A level maths...
Then again more modules just makes your Ucas application look better ^-^ i believe in you
in Year 13 I studied C3-4, FP1-2, S2-4, M1 and D1 plus A2 Physics/Chemistry but I think that was helped by the extra year (i.e instead of doing it in Year 12).

If you're not going to sit C3/C4 in the first year then it'd probably make sense to either not study them or study everything else first and see where you're at. Otherwise, I say go for it, if you really need/want to.

You could probably get through 1 module every 1-2 weeks in terms of teaching yourself the content and getting practice in and having a life, but then each module requires much more time to practice things.
Reply 5
Original post by zandneger
x

Wow, thanks. Hope you get the results you wanted!
I've heard D1 is also a module where people end up getting low results, maybe it's just a few people and not everyone - I don't know lol. I'll have to think about the D1/M2 choice :smile:, thanks though! It all depends on how I get on because usually I don't revise at all - not even 1 hour a day. I've literally revised for none of my GCSE exams and I'm gone a bit mental now, so I want to make a fierce comeback and since Maths is something that I've been good at since a young age, if I get back to learning and end up studying a few days, I will love it and revise everyday (usually can only happen with Maths lol).

Original post by NinjaOtter
My Further Maths class did C3 in about 1 and a half months. C4 took about the same time.

Thanks. That's not bad hehe. Since we have around 8 months to prepare in Year 12 till exams, 3 months might be a lot - so I might have to just do extra work and learn it in 1-2 months. But, I've got a lot of support - way more than normal and that can make everything happen much faster.

Considering 8 modules, I wouldn't mind learning C1, C2 and S1 all in my summer holidays :smile: and I already have done C1 before lol. In all honesty, I have so much time but it's just 4 weeks are taken by holiday and work experience xD and it'll take me time to start studying as I'm so laid back.

Original post by fartinugget
Not rare but it's not uncommon for people not to do very well for those amount of exams in a year.(usually it's the best of the mathematicians who do FM)

You sound like you're very smart, if you're getting those sort of UMS and marks then i say go for it.
You have to take C3 and 4 though if you want to do A level maths...
Then again more modules just makes your Ucas application look better ^-^ i believe in you

Thanks, the only problem is that I'm extremely lazy but it's not always the same when it comes to Maths lol.
I haven't done any modules yet, I'm just saying that I want to aim that high but I don't think it's impossible for me to get - it'll be hard, but I've got tons of past papers, tons of practice papers, sheets and it all can help so I'm not too worried about getting the mark.

Original post by SeanFM
in Year 13 I studied C3-4, FP1-2, S2-4, M1 and D1 plus A2 Physics/Chemistry but I think that was helped by the extra year (i.e instead of doing it in Year 12).

If you're not going to sit C3/C4 in the first year then it'd probably make sense to either not study them or study everything else first and see where you're at. Otherwise, I say go for it, if you really need/want to.

You could probably get through 1 module every 1-2 weeks in terms of teaching yourself the content and getting practice in and having a life, but then each module requires much more time to practice things.

Wow, that's a lot of modules lol (10 modules) and they're the harder ones too. I don't even know if I'm allowed to do C3 and C4 becaues it raises the question as to why I didn't do AS Level Maths in Year 11 when I had the chance (even though my teachers said no, I refused myself). I think I'll manage :P. Thanks for your help though :smile:!

Quick Reply

Latest