The Student Room Group

OCR (non mei) M1 Friday 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daniellon
Cosine rule in the formula booklet?

i got 97.2, you guys sure your not mistaking it for a different answer?
Reply 81
Original post by Snicherz
forgot to work on time on question 1 :unimpressed:, 2 marks off?

(also what was the question on the contact force asking?)

It was just asking you to isolate P as a single component and then calculate the contact force exerted on it by the plane. So you just had to use R and F (which I think you establish in the part of the q before this) and then use pythagorus.
Original post by Furthermaths100
You are wrong, put one of the forces due north, and the other with 97.18 and resolve to get the resultant and it won't be 6N.

dude, the answer is 97.18
Reply 83
Original post by Mattyreds999

Would you mind explaining how you got this answer?

please can you explain to me how I'm wrong in my solution>>>??IMG_7485.jpg
Original post by G_8
Would you mind explaining how you got this answer?
you have two forces acting on a particle, top to tail them, work out angle in-between them using cosine rule seeing as you know a 3 sides
Original post by duncanjgraham
please can you explain to me how I'm wrong in my solution>>>??IMG_7485.jpg

To be honest man, it was like a 2 mark question for that part, from the amount of working you needed to do, thats a slight hint that you may have over complicated it. who knows, maybe its right, my gut tells me that 97.2 was right though. we'll just have to see
To be honest man, it was like a 2 mark question for that part, from the amount of working you needed to do, thats a slight hint that you may have over complicated it. who knows, maybe its right, my gut tells me that 97.2 was right though. we'll just have to see

it was more than 2, i think 3. I've done it in a slightly unconventional way that's all.

if you put one due north and the angle between this 4n force and the other as 97.18 degrees and then use cosine rule. you will find the reultant to be six my friend

The answer cannot be 97.18 as it does not work if you resolve the forces to get the resultant force. Put one of the 4N forces vertical and the other at 97.18, resolve and you will get a vertical as 4-4sin7.18= about 3.5, and horizontal (which is correct either way) as 4cos7.18 which is about 3.96N. Are you therefore saying 3.5^2 + 3.96^2 equals 36? (6^2)
Do the maths, it doesn't work! The answer is 100% 82.8.
Original post by Furthermaths100
The answer cannot be 97.18 as it does not work if you resolve the forces to get the resultant force. Put one of the 4N forces vertical and the other at 97.18, resolve and you will get a vertical as 4-4sin7.18= about 3.5, and horizontal (which is correct either way) as 4cos7.18 which is about 3.96N. Are you therefore saying 3.5^2 + 3.96^2 equals 36? (6^2)
Do the maths, it doesn't work! The answer is 100% 82.8.

PREACH. the answer is 82.8
How did people generally find that exam? easy, hard or average?
Original post by gmanijn592

Tricky in places, probably slightly harder than normal.
Okay good, I want to know what the grade boundaries would be like, i think I dropped like 7-8 marks
Reply 94
Okay good, I want to know what the grade boundaries would be like, i think I dropped like 7-8 marks

I think 57 for an A

It was harder than the average M1 exam. Haven't seen any marks I've dropped yet though :smile:
How many marks overall do you guys think I will need to get for an A in maths?
Was alright, harder than usual. I'm guessing about 54-55 for an A?
Original post by Flytrap1190
Was alright, harder than usual. I'm guessing about 54-55 for an A?

I'm gonna guess 56
Original post by klosovic
I'm gonna guess 56

Hm i found it harder than the 2014 one, and that was 55 for an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending