The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GetOverHere
I'm ending this argument so that others can talk about their exam in peace. I hope you'll follow suit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem my friend. I hope you haven't been unsettled by it, admittedly i was hot headed having just had a rough time with the exam, so apologies there, just felt you were being condescending on me
Guys I accidentl said WW2 instead of WW1 :-( am I doomed?... I only need 83% UMS for an A* which is like 65...man I'm down about this now...
Would appdeciafe some reassurance
Any one??? :frown: panicking about this... Is there any chance they may take it as a stupid mistake, it was in exam conditions after all...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AnkitKapoor
Guys I accidentl said WW2 instead of WW1 :-( am I doomed?... I only need 83% UMS for an A* which is like 65...man I'm down about this now...
Would appdeciafe some reassurance
Any one?

I suppose it depends on the examiner, but i'd be really REALLY surprised if it mattered at all
Original post by JDHOrchard
I suppose it depends on the examiner, but i'd be really REALLY surprised if it mattered at all

Thanks! I can't see loosing more than a couple marks most over it. It's just stressful as I need an A* to meet my offer !
Reply 284
Hey guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but can anyone help me work out how much UMS I need to get an A? Last year I got full marks on my coursework and a high C on the exam (bleugh), totalling 161 points - bearing in mind that this is subject to change as I retook the AS exam. I got full marks on coursework again this year, so can anyone please tell me how many marks I need for this exam?
Original post by tghnys
Hey guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but can anyone help me work out how much UMS I need to get an A? Last year I got full marks on my coursework and a high C on the exam (bleugh), totalling 161 points - bearing in mind that this is subject to change as I retook the AS exam. I got full marks on coursework again this year, so can anyone please tell me how many marks I need for this exam?

70/70 on coursework gives you 80 more UMS, so you're up to 241 now. You need 320 for an A, so you need 79 more for an A. 48 out of 80 gives you 80 which gets you your A, so you need 48/80, or 24/40 per question, for an A (going by last year's grade boundaries).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 286
70/70 on coursework gives you 80 more UMS, so you're up to 241 now. You need 320 for an A, so you need 79 more for an A. 48 out of 80 gives you 80 which gets you your A, so you need 48/80, or 24/40 per question, for an A (going by last year's grade boundaries).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by tghnys
Thank you so much for your help!

No worries c: if the grade boundaries change, the requirements will change obviously, but if you feel your exam was on those lines, you should get what you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, you seem to know a lot about this paper. Do you think the grade boundaries are going to be higher than last year's? Also in some of my posts I've mentioned my content and tis very, ehem, well ' unique'. I'd appreciate your honest opinion. I only need say 2 33s Are you studying English at uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, you seem to know a lot about this paper. Do you think the grade boundaries are going to be higher than last year's? Also in some of my posts I've mentioned my content and tis very, ehem, well ' unique'. I'd appreciate your honest opinion. I only need say 2 33s Are you studying English at uni?

Haha I wouldn't say I do, but thanks. I do think it'll go up, 'early stages of love' is a nicer question than 'memories of love' for sure. I read what you wrote and I think you're golden, to be honest. Haha nope, but I've been told that I should. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I wouldn't say I do, but thanks. I do think it'll go up, 'early stages of love' is a nicer question than 'memories of love' for sure. I read what you wrote and I think you're golden, to be honest. Haha nope, but I've been told that I should. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Such relief! Thank you! That means a lot. Yes Absurdist theatre is cruel. Yes I'm hoping to do it at Trinity Hall, my firm :smile: it still seems like a distant dream. There's something distinctly cruel about the way offers work IMO it just makes A Level drag on. What are you hoping to study ?
Such relief! Thank you! That means a lot. Yes Absurdist theatre is cruel. Yes I'm hoping to do it at Trinity Hall, my firm :smile: it still seems like a distant dream. There's something distinctly cruel about the way offers work IMO it just makes A Level drag on. What are you hoping to study ?

You're very welcome! Oh wow, I'm sure you'll do absolutely fine. That's true, just the agonising wait now haha. Dentistry haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Erm, this will seem like a stupid question (don't roast me please) - but how many raw marks typically get you an A*? (Range/lowest it's been/highest it's been). :dontknow: I need this A*, my life depends on it. :afraid:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Erm, this will seem like a stupid question (don't roast me please) - but how many raw marks typically get you an A*? (Range/lowest it's been/highest it's been). :dontknow: I need this A*, my life depends on it. :afraid:

You're at 241, an A* is 360 so you need 119 for an A*. 74 raw marks equals 119 UMS, so you'll need 74/80 for an A*, or 37/40 per question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you retaken last year's exam or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're very welcome! Oh wow, I'm sure you'll do absolutely fine. That's true, just the agonising wait now haha. Dentistry haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! You must be very talented to be good at arts and sciences! My parents wanted me to do medicine, so I worked really hard at bio/Chem throughout the year but I hated work experience. Now I want to go into Law/ PR , doing work experience. Which uni you considering dentistry?
You're at 241, an A* is 360 so you need 119 for an A*. 74 raw marks equals 119 UMS, so you'll need 74/80 for an A*, or 37/40 per question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait, why am I at 241? :colondollar:
Oh wow! You must be very talented to be good at arts and sciences! My parents wanted me to do medicine, so I worked really hard at bio/Chem throughout the year but I hated work experience. Now I want to go into Law/ PR , doing work experience. Which uni you considering dentistry?

Haha thank you. I've always had a knack for English, so that's allowed me to knuckle down on science. Hahaa that's fair enough, no point doing something you don't want to. I've got offers from Birmingham, Cardiff and Kings College, so whichever of those haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Wait, why am I at 241? :colondollar:

161 + 80 = 241

You said you got 161 last year, plus 80 for full UMS in coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile
161 + 80 = 241

You said you got 161 last year, plus 80 for full UMS in coursework.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say what I got last year - are you getting me confused with someone else? :holmes:
I definitely did not get full UMS in the coursework. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest