The Student Room Group

A2 wjec ec3 20/06/16

I saw that there was no thread for our exam board and so I decided to make one.

What does everyone think is going to come up in the long essay question? I was analysing past papers and I saw that a pure question on monopolies hasn't come up in a while, so I'm looking into that. Monopolistic competition could also be likely. Doubt it'd be an oligopolies or perfect competition one, as we've had that for the past 2 years. There could even be a government intervention one as well

Scroll to see replies

Not many people do our exam board sadly, so there's not much people to discuss with.

I also think monopolies
Also, trade; and economic development
I think its kinda hard to predict cus they can ask micro and macro questions
I am really bad with competition policy, do you guys think it will come up?
Reply 3
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
Not many people do our exam board sadly, so there's not much people to discuss with.

I also think monopolies
Also, trade; and economic development
I think its kinda hard to predict cus they can ask micro and macro questions

That's true, a proper monopoly question hasn't come up since June 2011, I'm hoping it comes up because it's the easiest essay for me. I've attached a spreadsheet I've made with all the possible questions and when they've come up (ignore the highlighting, I just use it to mark them). I haven't looked at any EC4 papers yet so I've no idea about what might come up for them yet.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B57mQJNqFYbIWU1ldkM2azFieTA

Original post by vulcanspecter
I am really bad with competition policy, do you guys think it will come up?

It's a possibility as its never come up before as a full 20 mark question. What about it are you stuck on? Maybe we can help. I think EC3 June 2014 Q4 has a question on the CMA and the EU's attitude towards anti-competitive policies if that helps
Am I the only one who hates these mark schemes? They are so vague at times it's ridiculous. Possibly regretting prioritising maths over this
Reply 5
Yeah the marks schemes are pretty terrible. I tried to post my predictions spreadsheet yesterday and the links still pending, so I'll pm it out to you guys instead
Especially those 6 marks questions, the mark scheme is rubbish
Not an awful paper. I was a bit stuck on the monopolistic diagram though.

10 marker was unpredicted haha.

20 markers were nice. I did the monopoly one as I can remember most of the stuff about monopolies
Original post by Jack1066
Not an awful paper. I was a bit stuck on the monopolistic diagram though.

10 marker was unpredicted haha.

20 markers were nice. I did the monopoly one as I can remember most of the stuff about monopolies

Same, i picked the monopoly Q too, as did everyone ive spoken to.
I found the found the monopolistic Q good
The 10 mark was alright, but the diagram they gave hindered rather than helped me
But i wasn't sure about the question: (perfect competition market) what happens to the firm and industry in the long run?
And also the way the quantity theory of money question was phrased kinda threw me: like i wasn't sure if you were supposed to criticise changes in money supply as a cause of inflation, or whether you're supposed to asses its credibility as a cause i.e does it have as much influence on inflation compared to demand pull and cost push
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
Same, i picked the monopoly Q too, as did everyone ive spoken to.
I found the found the monopolistic Q good
The 10 mark was alright, but the diagram they gave hindered rather than helped me
But i wasn't sure about the question: (perfect competition market) what happens to the firm and industry in the long run?
And also the way the quantity theory of money question was phrased kinda threw me: like i wasn't sure if you were supposed to criticise changes in money supply as a cause of inflation, or whether you're supposed to asses its credibility as a cause i.e does it have as much influence on inflation compared to demand pull and cost push

I basically saw it as quantitive easing and you had to assess how good it would be at increasing inflation.

And yeah I messed up the perfect competition question completely. I blanked on the diagram annoyingly.

The very first question was trying to catch people out which I thought was funny, when asking to calculate FIXED costs at different outputs
Reply 10
Haha same I picked the monopoly question as well. I found it funny too, because me and some friends were talking about and how its too easy of an essay to come up, but I made a plan for it just in case and it turned up haha. I was hit on with monopolistic competition too, but that quantitive easing question did throw me off, I remembered the formula but forgot how to explain it.

What do you guys think about grade boundaries? Same as last year because of the 20 markers?
I basically saw it as quantitive easing and you had to assess how good it would be at increasing inflation.

And yeah I messed up the perfect competition question completely. I blanked on the diagram annoyingly.

The very first question was trying to catch people out which I thought was funny, when asking to calculate FIXED costs at different outputs

It asked us to calculate 'average' fixed costs which would decrease as output increases
Original post by Lycanfist
Haha same I picked the monopoly question as well. I found it funny too, because me and some friends were talking about and how its too easy of an essay to come up, but I made a plan for it just in case and it turned up haha. I was hit on with monopolistic competition too, but that quantitive easing question did throw me off, I remembered the formula but forgot how to explain it.

What do you guys think about grade boundaries? Same as last year because of the 20 markers?

The monopolistic question I talked about the social ineffiency. I think where MC= AR/D
For the monopolistic question you needed to explain the characteristics of the market structure like differentiated goods, non price competition etc and say why it was inefficient so productively inefficient as it doesn't produce at lowest point of ac curve and allocative as it doesn't use marginal cost pricing, instead their main objectives is growth and survival
Original post by Protheroe
It asked us to calculate 'average' fixed costs which would decrease as output increases

Well ****.
Original post by JamieLad98
For the monopolistic question you needed to explain the characteristics of the market structure like differentiated goods, non price competition etc and say why it was inefficient so productively inefficient as it doesn't produce at lowest point of ac curve and allocative as it doesn't use marginal cost pricing, instead their main objectives is growth and survival

I explained the characteristics then went in to the dead weight loss the firm causes/its social inefficiency. I touched upon allocative and productively inefficiency but not in great detail. :/
Well ****.

Better to screw up there than anywhere else XD
for the quantity of money supply question, do we put what happen when you increase the base rate, so decrease consumption, investment etc? and then say it is gonna decrease inflation successfully? how about the evaluation bit( how is it not successful in decreasing inflation)?
And what did you guys out for the question 1 asking how and why average total change when output increases?
Original post by Protheroe

Do you remember what you got for the two calculations? Did you just do 5000 (the fixed cost [output level 0]) divided by the output levels given? I just divided the costs by the output levels given so I think i f*cked up there :s-smilie:

Also, did anyone else do the Privatisation 20 marker? All my friends who sat with me took the Monopoly one, which in hindsight seems the more sensible option, but there was a lot to write about so overall I'm happy with the essay.

Seems like a lot of the easier topics came up in the paper today, I'm worried that EC4 will have questions on eco institutions and eco growth, both of which I struggle with. But here's hoping not ay. I won't have a 12 hour shift the night before the next one! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending