The Student Room Group

OCR MEI M1 (Mechanics) 17th June

Scroll to see replies

How did people get 0ms^-2 for the acceleration?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilrabbits
How many marks off will I get if I drew the tension and friction force the opposite way round? Thanks!

Probably none because its true, ur just looking at it from the other side of the block.
Original post by rohan96
How did people find this compared with past papers?

Awful!
Original post by rohan96
How did people find this compared with past papers?

I did question 1-6 in 45 mins then spent an hour on Q7 (extra time cos special needs)
Question 7 (iii) is probably the hardest part i've seen. I was the only person in my class to get that answer.

Probably going to have pretty low gradeboundaries honestly.
UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME WITH MARKS

Working on adding marks and some methodology on - contribute please!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1icjNQigJ2igDhxI4d0Lr8uglxFOJC7wW3FABi0BSmuE/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you!! :smile:
I couldn't do any of Q7, and I had a good look at it for 20 minutes! 18 marks gone - but I'm pretty sure I got absolutely everything else, based on what I've seen on here. Not sure if it was really hard or if it was just me having a mental block. Anyway, 52-54/72 is good for me and hopefully that's a B. Maybe I can get really lucky and have 54 as an A!
Original post by phoebeisgreat
How did people get 0ms^-2 for the acceleration?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put d in the equation of T in the previous part. After that, set the equation as Tsina+T2sinb-7500g=7500a if I am not wrong and then you get a=0
Original post by prepdream
Put d in the equation of T in the previous part. After that, set the equation as Tsina+T2sinb-7500g=7500a if I am not wrong and then you get a=0

But the mass of the bomb was not 7500kg, its weight was 7500N
1466190211034-1581749681.jpg working for 7iv
Original post by Synmatic

if you do the arithmetic on the left hand side you get 0 if you use 7500N as weight.
So if you use M = 7500 then you still get a=0 because 0/anything = 0.
Reply 130
so what were everyone's general thoughts? Hard paper, easy paper? (I have read the thread I just can't really tell mostly what people are thinking about it) :smile:
Original post by leaf3
so what were everyone's general thoughts? Hard paper, easy paper? (I have read the thread I just can't really tell mostly what people are thinking about it) :smile:

It was moderate-not easy but not difficult. What did you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
Original post by phoebeisgreat
It was moderate-not easy but not difficult. What did you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think harder than last years but not ridiculous, having said that I messed up the last question as I didn't spot a tiny arithmetic error I made right at the beginning (despite looking for about 10 times) which messed up practically everything after it... :P good luck for the rest of yours (unless you're done!) :smile:

Oh yes my apologies, it should be 7500. I just forgot the question really, but yeah set the equation like that with -7500 and a should be 0.
Original post by Shipreck
Probably none because its true, ur just looking at it from the other side of the block.

Thank you. What if I drew the arrow of the tension outwards rather than inwards? It probably matters?
Thank you. What if I drew the arrow of the tension outwards rather than inwards? It probably matters?

What do you mean?
Wasn't it being pulled to the left by 20N 60degrees to the horizontal?
What do you mean?
Wasn't it being pulled to the left by 20N 60degrees to the horizontal?

Yes that's how I drew it, but apparently the question says "push" rather than "pull" so the arrow of the tension should be pointing in :frown:(
1466190211034-1581749681.jpg working for 7iv

This is similar to my working but i rounded too early (was running out of time) so got a = 0.0027ms-2 Not sure how many marks id lose for that. Had no time to think about what to write for the last q so lost 2 marks on that.
Overall think i lost 10marks on that paper at least which is dissapointing, considereing ive done every past paper and normally get ~90%raw
Yes that's how I drew it, but apparently the question says "push" rather than "pull" so the arrow of the tension should be pointing in :frown:(

RIP I misread it too bro. We will most likely only miss 1 mark though, because the other forces were correct.
RIP I misread it too bro. We will most likely only miss 1 mark though, because the other forces were correct.

Yh hope so. :smile:

Quick Reply