The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 G484 June 2016 [Module 1] [90UMS]

Scroll to see replies

i hate geostationary orbit questions
Reply 61
Original post by lai812matthew
i hate geostationary orbit questions

Me too, I'm really bad at the wording of them. Can anyone give us any tips?
Original post by hallo.C
Me too, I'm really bad at the wording of them. Can anyone give us any tips?

the hardest question is possibly calculating how many times do a satellite have to orbit to get a full image of earth lol
the hardest question is possibly calculating how many times do a satellite have to orbit to get a full image of earth lol

Still can't get my head around how you do that question..

Is that on a paper?
Does anyone have acces to June 2015 paper and mark scheme?
Original post by Revision King98
Is that on a paper?

yes it is but i forgot which one defo in this spec and this board though
Reply 67
yes it is but i forgot which one defo in this spec and this board though

I can explain that question if people are struggling to understand it
Reply 68
part i) you need to do is divide 24 hours by the time period to get 14.2 orbits in 24 hours

part ii) we need to find the number of orbits it would take to photograph. So if we find the circumference (6400 x 10^3 x 2pi) and then divide that by 3000 x 10^3 m, we get that it would take 13.4 orbits to photograph the whole of the surface. In part i, we showed that the satellite makes 14.2 orbits in 24 hours so if we compare 13.4 with this figure we can see that the satellite will be able to photograph the whole of the surface in 24 hours
Reply 69
Does anyone know if you need 90% ums in the exams for an A* or 90% across all of A2, including coursework
Original post by hallo.C
Does anyone know if you need 90% ums in the exams for an A* or 90% across all of A2, including coursework

All of A2, which I helpful if you can get full ums on the CW.
Reply 71
Original post by MahuduElec
All of A2, which I helpful if you can get full ums on the CW.

I got 38/40 on the coursework. What should I be aiming for in the exams?
Reply 72
Original post by hallo.C

39/40 or 38/40 is an A* in coursework
Original post by hallo.C

Well I'm guessing thats 54 ums, so ou need 90% ums across exams, as you have 90% ums in CW. Assuming got at least a B last year for the total 480.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Bear in mind that the gradient of the graph is equal to the rate of loss of temperature and remember thermal energy is directly proportional to temperature. C (SHC) of milk below 0 degrees is significantly less than it is above 0 degrees therefore, less thermal energy required (to be lost) in order to cool it down below 0 degrees than above 0 degrees. In other words the gradient of the graph below 0 will be greater than that above 0. If less energy is required to cool a substance, the rate of temperature decrease (gradient) will be greater. And for the final mark, temperature will remain constant at 0 for a short while as this is the point of the substance changing state (we're told the freezing point) - remember internal energy? So to sum up, gradient of graph will be negative always (apart from when the temp remains at 0, there it will be a straight line) however gradient below 0 will be steeper than above 0. Hopefully all that helped!

thank you so much ! x
Reply 75
Original post by MahuduElec
Well I'm guessing thats 54 ums, so ou need 90% ums across exams, as you have 90% ums in CW. Assuming got at least a B last year for the total 480.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 287 from last year but am less confident this year
Original post by hallo.C
I have 287 from last year but am less confident this year

You're pretty much in the same situation as me then. D's in the exams to get an A, ~90% in exams for an A*
anyone know what to do for sig figs then? ocr are so random, sometimes all the info they give is to 2 but the markscheme says answer is 3 and sometimes it says 2, sometimes standard form and sometimes not???
Original post by hallo.C

coursework can be moderated down tho, i got 39/40 last yr and it got moderated down to 48/60 ums cuz of my class i think
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rm761
anyone know what to do for sig figs then? ocr are so random, sometimes all the info they give is to 2 but the markscheme says answer is 3 and sometimes it says 2, sometimes standard form and sometimes not???

Having just consulted @teachercol on the matter, he recommends leaving final answers to 2.s.f (unless the data is to three) and then for further calculations involving your previous answer, carry 3 s.f forward and then once again leave the overall final answer to two. I personally think that is a silly method - think it would make a lot more sense to carry exact answers forward from previous calculations and then always leave the final answer to 3 s.f. :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending