The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS3/BUSS4 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelsom
Anybody got any ideas/business examples of business and the EU incase it comes up? I was going to talk about the transatlantic trade and investment partnership but didn't know if that'd be a little all that relevant

ryanair
//
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Muhammad_AK
We have a whatsapp chat dedicated to BUSS4, we share ideas and resources if you want to join PM me your number :smile:

Add me please +447479952586

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jelsom
Anybody got any ideas/business examples of business and the EU incase it comes up? I was going to talk about the transatlantic trade and investment partnership but didn't know if that'd be a little all that relevant

Depends what the question is asking - what the question is asking will often result in a variety of different counter arguments
Reply 524
Original post by De Re Publica
Depends what the question is asking - what the question is asking will often result in a variety of different counter arguments

What about something like "is it favourable for the UK to leave the EU for UK businesses."
Original post by jelsom
What about something like "is it favourable for the UK to leave the EU for UK businesses."

YES - Enables firms that don't rely on the EU for trade to be freed from its bureaucracy and red tape, which enables improved competitivess globally and thus better financial returns. An example being JCB which has reaped benefits of globalization, and exports to non EU states eg Russia

NO - Many firms rely on EU for trade, reap benefits of lower trade barriers and protectionism, along with the access to an entire population of people's (500M.) An example is the entirety of the automotive industry in the UK

NO - EU has enabled UK trade prosperity which has meant improved Economy, and therefore a more willing society that has more disposable income, an example being The European Centre of Reform suggest 50% of UK trade takes place with the EU, therefore if we left this would be lost.

Conclusion - Better staying in as it enables businesses to benefit from lower trade barriers and a generally more affluent economy. It does however depend on if a business trades directly with EU member states, if not, the UKs membership could be a burden.
Reply 526
Original post by JoshFlySon
ryanair

Is that the cheap flights for those voting in thing? Or that it would cut investment in Britain if it votes out?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 527
YES - Enables firms that don't rely on the EU for trade to be freed from its bureaucracy and red tape, which enables improved competitivess globally and thus better financial returns. An example being JCB which has reaped benefits of globalization, and exports to non EU states eg Russia

NO - Many firms rely on EU for trade, reap benefits of lower trade barriers and protectionism, along with the access to an entire population of people's (500M.) An example is the entirety of the automotive industry in the UK

NO - EU has enabled UK trade prosperity which has meant improved Economy, and therefore a more willing society that has more disposable income, an example being The European Centre of Reform suggest 50% of UK trade takes place with the EU, therefore if we left this would be lost.

Conclusion - Better staying in as it enables businesses to benefit from lower trade barriers and a generally more affluent economy. It does however depend on if a business trades directly with EU member states, if not, the UKs membership could be a burden.

That's incredibly helpful, thank you very much
Original post by jelsom
That's incredibly helpful, thank you very much

No problem! :smile:
Does anyone have any predictions for Section A or B? Would you agree that EU has a high potential to come up in either section?
Original post by andymharrison_
Does anyone have any predictions for Section A or B? Would you agree that EU has a high potential to come up in either section?

The exam paper was written last year so it may be unlikely that it is on the EU. However, definitely don't rule it out as it could be. The possible questions could be on retrenchment, Merges and takeover or European business in my opinion.
Original post by hello321123123
The exam paper was written last year so it may be unlikely that it is on the EU. However, definitely don't rule it out as it could be. The possible questions could be on retrenchment, Merges and takeover or European business in my opinion.

Didn't mergers/takeovers appear last year?
I'd be surprised if leadership / organisational culture / change management didn't appear in some form; these topics are very interconnected and usually a question encompasses all three. Retrenchment, whilst not assessed, is a small topic with limited scope on what can be asked - if it did appear, I can see it being in a hybrid question maybe also involving PESTLE eg "Is retrenchment the safest strategy for a business to follow as a result economic downturn?". I'd try to make sure you have a sufficient level of knowledge on all topic areas because a lot of the topics link well and actually make answering the essays easier. It's a far better tactic than pinpointing what may or may not come up.
Original post by ryanroks1
I'd be surprised if leadership / organisational culture / change management didn't appear in some form; these topics are very interconnected and usually a question encompasses all three. Retrenchment, whilst not assessed, is a small topic with limited scope on what can be asked - if it did appear, I can see it being in a hybrid question maybe also involving PESTLE eg "Is retrenchment the safest strategy for a business to follow as a result economic downturn?". I'd try to make sure you have a sufficient level of knowledge on all topic areas because a lot of the topics link well and actually make answering the essays easier. It's a far better tactic than pinpointing what may or may not come up.

Awesome. Have you personally left out any topics, even just one or two?
Awesome. Have you personally left out any topics, even just one or two?

I've tried not to but I guess it's hard to revise the more boring ones so I do find myself zoning out when looking at CSR. :colondollar:

Try to cover everything. Obviously the larger topics like leadership will require more time, but at the same time, they appear far more often so it's arguable that they're worth the extra time. Of course, that's not to say AQA aren't going to be evil and give questions on all the niche areas this year which is why it's essential you have at least some understanding of the smaller topics (CSR, ethics, legal etc).
Do you have to compare and contrast in section A and has anyone got some good businesses for e commerce, like any unusual ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomsouth98
Do you have to compare and contrast in section A and has anyone got some good businesses for e commerce, like any unusual ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check out iD, the mobile phone network that solely operates online - quite a nice one to compare with the likes of ASOS.
We have a whatsapp chat dedicated to BUSS4, we share resources and business examples a great environment to learn, if you want to be added to the chat, private message me your number :smile:
Original post by thopkins
I don't know where they are from but my teacher gave them to me. I have the mark schemes for them.

Is there any chance you could send me them it would be GREATLY appreciated? if you don't have the time no worries:smile:
How would you answer the question - "To what extent are a businesses profits dependent on its commitment to CSR"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending