The Student Room Group

5 A Levels and an EPQ

Hi Guys,
I've just been accepted into my college, Peter Symonds, and I've picked 5 A Levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Italian Ab Initio and French. On top of that, I am also set to do an Extended Project Qualification. Now you may be wondering why I was so mad to pick so many, however, I really want to get into Oxford to do Engineering and I want to give myself an edge that other applicants don't have.

So to ask the question has anyone else done this many, and if so, how did you go about planning and maintaining a sustainable work and motivation levels?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke Collinson
Hi Guys,
I've just been accepted into my college, Peter Symonds, and I've picked 5 A Levels; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Italian Ab Initio and French. On top of that, I am also set to do an Extended Project Qualification. Now you may be wondering why I was so mad to pick so many, however, I really want to get into Oxford to do Engineering and I want to give myself an edge that other applicants don't have.

So to ask the question has anyone else done this many, and if so, how did you go about planning and maintaining a sustainable work and motivation levels?

By praying to the Gods of A Levels for an extra few hours added to each day.

Seriously, I'm worried about doing 3 A Levels, let alone 5 + an EPQ. :redface:
Original post by george_c00per
By praying to the Gods of A Levels for an extra few hours added to each day.

Seriously, I'm worried about doing 3 A Levels, let alone 5 + an EPQ. :redface:

I think with enough caffeine tablets and wishful thinking I can add those few extra hours to the day :wink:
Hi Guys,

I did 5 AS Levels (kind of), as one was a Pre-U and therefore a two year course. My fifth A-Level was Critical Thinking, though, and personally, I found this workload quite tough, although I feel as though you might have less work with Maths and FM compared to my 3 essay subjects and a language! Anyway, especially with Ab Initio Italian, I'd say that an EPQ as well is too much for someone unless you are prepared to literally do nothing else but work. Also, French and Italian are somewhat irrelevant for Engineering, I think they'd prefer 4 solid A-Levels at AAAA than 5 at AABBB, for example. But ultimately, it's up to you.
Reply 4
Hi Guys,

This year I did 5 A2s and 1 AS, including Further Maths but no languages.

If you want good grades you won't be able to go outside much.

Motivation has simply been getting good grades and beating my university offer.

Parkinson's law will become your best friend.

Further Maths will make Maths very easy; I've heard of Oxbridge leaving Maths out of offers because it's "too easy" (according to an offer-holder at my school).

Doing more than three A-levels won't give you much benefit when applying to universities, beyond being able to mention your ability to cope with a large workload in your personal statement. Oxford will only care about your PAT score and interview performance.

If you have any specific questions feel free to message me.
Reply 5
You're going to need a lot of luck! (and good time management)

I did Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, German, Japanese and Biology at AS. I'm continuing will all but Biology. My school didn't allow me to take the EPQ like everyone else - tbh I'm glad.

Well, I got AAABBBC. I wish I had only taken four, because I could have come out with AAAA instead of AAAB as my best four. If you look at it another way, my worst four are BBBC - imagine if they were my only four!

Time management? Work every single free period, because chances are you may not have a lot of them (though this depends on the college). For the languages, you should consider doing vocab revision on the way home or whenever you have a minute - certainly get an app or something you can take with you.

They are some strong subject choices though. Best of luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ombtom
This year I did 5 A2s and 1 AS, including Further Maths but no languages.

If you want good grades you won't be able to go outside much.

Motivation has simply been getting good grades and beating my university offer.

Parkinson's law will become your best friend.

Further Maths will make Maths very easy; I've heard of Oxbridge leaving Maths out of offers because it's "too easy" (according to an offer-holder at my school).

Doing more than three A-levels won't give you much benefit when applying to universities, beyond being able to mention your ability to cope with a large workload in your personal statement. Oxford will only care about your PAT score and interview performance.

If you have any specific questions feel free to message me.

Wow, ok. I think I'm prepared for what's coming. I'm determined and ambitious, and I think that's the most prepared I can be until I actually start the course come september. The reason why I'm doing Italian and French is because my sister is currently doing a Medical Doctorate and she get's tutored in Spanish. I personally love language and I want to be taught Engineering at Oxford in French.
Reply 7
First and foremost u need to achieve the required grades you need for the degree u wish to study, if u feel u are not attaining these after a few months then I would start thinking about dropping something because most UNIs won't even look at all the other beneficial things you have if you haven't reached the required grades. However, if you feel you are achieving the grades then stick at it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I did 5 AS Levels (kind of), as one was a Pre-U and therefore a two year course. My fifth A-Level was Critical Thinking, though, and personally, I found this workload quite tough, although I feel as though you might have less work with Maths and FM compared to my 3 essay subjects and a language! Anyway, especially with Ab Initio Italian, I'd say that an EPQ as well is too much for someone unless you are prepared to literally do nothing else but work. Also, French and Italian are somewhat irrelevant for Engineering, I think they'd prefer 4 solid A-Levels at AAAA than 5 at AABBB, for example. But ultimately, it's up to you.

From what the Admissions department said is that if I try out the workload for the first two months, and then if I find it's too challenging then I can always drop one.
From what the Admissions department said is that if I try out the workload for the first two months, and then if I find it's too challenging then I can always drop one.

That's probably the best idea. If you have any questions about the EPQ then feel free to ask, as I absolutely loved it - it was probably my most enjoyable subject!
Original post by Edminzodo
That's probably the best idea. If you have any questions about the EPQ then feel free to ask, as I absolutely loved it - it was probably my most enjoyable subject!

What subjects did you do for yours? And what did you base yours around?
Reply 11
Wow, ok. I think I'm prepared for what's coming. I'm determined and ambitious, and I think that's the most prepared I can be until I actually start the course come september. The reason why I'm doing Italian and French is because my sister is currently doing a Medical Doctorate and she get's tutored in Spanish. I personally love language and I want to be taught Engineering at Oxford in French.

Oh yeah, try to learn as much as you can before September. Learn content ahead of lessons, so that the lessons become consolidation. This is good for anyone, but if you're doing a stupid number of subjects then it's invaluable.

If they teach Engineering in French then that's great :lol: But start preparing for PAT as soon as you can. Not in October.
Hi Guys,

You actually don't need to take 5 A Levels tbh. Even Oxford and Cambridge prefer 3/4 A Levels. Also if you do Maths and Further Maths they will only take one of these into account not both.
5 A Levels and an EPQ in my opinion is too much.
Reply 13
Original post by smartsy
You're going to need a lot of luck! (and good time management)

I did Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, German, Japanese and Biology. My school didn't allow me to take the EPQ like everyone else because of this.

That's probably the most impressive list I've heard so far. Did you have much knowledge of German and Japanese before starting A-levels?
@Luke Collinson @ombtom @george_c00per

I was contemplating doing 4 subjects but after reading about this guy from Pakistan, I think I'm going to do 5 instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]
Original post by Workangel_24
You actually don't need to take 5 A Levels tbh. Even Oxford and Cambridge prefer 3/4 A Levels. Also if you do Maths and Further Maths they will only take one of these into account not both.
5 A Levels and an EPQ in my opinion is too much.

Possibly too much, but I at least want to try and see if I come out with 6 A/A*s. I just want to show that I can do it on top of joining a few societies.
Has anyone done Italian Ab Initio? You do a GCSE one year then an A1/A2 the next year :colonhash:
Reply 17
Original post by Audrey18
I was contemplating doing 4 subjects but after reading about this guy from Pakistan, I think I'm going to do 5 instead.

If you enjoy all of the subjects, go for it.

That guy must've had an extreme amount of prior knowledge. :lol:
Possibly too much, but I at least want to try and see if I come out with 6 A/A*s. I just want to show that I can do it on top of joining a few societies.

If you believe you can do it give it a try as there's no harm in trying and I wish you the best of luck in your A Levels and good luck on GCSE results day :smile:
Uni's do look at how many subjects you're taking so if you take more than 3/4 it shows you are able to cope with the workload and shows you are a hard-working person.
Original post by Audrey18

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

OMG, I was thinking of posting his story here, how did you read my mind??

Quick Reply

Latest