The Student Room Group

Impossible to get a c at a level maths:(

Hi,

I sat the d1 paper today and I did so crap, I know I have a U because I could only get 20 marks.

C1-65
C2- SORRY CORE 2 is 65 UMS
D1-0
S1-65
C3- predicted 65 UMS
C4-predicted 62 UMS

^ Hypothetically speaking if I get those predicted UMS in c3 c4 are my chances of a C at a level maths gone?:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Byronicboy
Hi,

I sat the d1 paper today and I did so crap, I know I have a U because I could only get 20 marks.

C1-65
C2-62
D1-0
S1-65
C3- predicted 65 UMS
C4-predicted 62 UMS

^ Hypothetically speaking if I get those predicted UMS in c3 c4 are my chances of a C at a level maths gone?:frown:

You'd either get a very high D or a low C. You'll still get some UMS from D1 and maybe more than you think in C3/C4.

Good luck! :h: and if it goes well on results day, I'd be interested to see how you actually did. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
You'd either get a very high D or a low C. You'll still get some UMS from D1 and maybe more than you think in C3/C4.

Good luck! :h: and if it goes well on results day, I'd be interested to see how you actually did. :smile:

How many UMS for 20 marks in D1? Is there a chance of evening getting a C? Realistically speaking I cannot hack the maths in c3/c4 I'm getting C's in the past papers. I really need a C
If you get that predicted UMS, you will get a D overall.

You will need to get an average of 84+ in C3 and C4 to get a C overall.
Reply 4
Original post by klosovic

Oh no! How many marks in 84 UMS?
How many UMS for 20 marks in D1? Is there a chance of evening getting a C? Realistically speaking I cannot hack the maths in c3/c4 I'm getting C's in the past papers. I really need a C

Check out past grade boundaries and see how much 20 gets you. But to be honest, the focus should be more on doing as well as you can in C3/C4. There is definitely getting a chance of a C, but it'll depend on how you do in the remaining exams.
Oh no! How many marks in 84 UMS?

it changes every year. Search on google for your exam board's UMS calculator.

Also now you have edited C2 to 65 you will only need to average 82.5+ UMS in C3 and 4 :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Check out past grade boundaries and see how much 20 gets you. But to be honest, the focus should be more on doing as well as you can in C3/C4. There is definitely getting a chance of a C, but it'll depend on how you do in the remaining exams.

It says U is 0 UMS:frown:

the UMS gets you the grade, not the grade gives you the UMS.

So you most likely have some UMS in D1.
Reply 9
the UMS gets you the grade, not the grade gives you the UMS.

So you most likely have some UMS in D1.

I've got 20 marks in d1 how many UMS ?

Just because you get a U with 20/75 raw marks, doesn't mean you get 0 UMS! In 2015 for example, 20 marks was 20 UMS.

So combine that, and if you try to get more marks in C3/C4 then it is very possible to get a C overall.
I've got 20 marks in d1 how many UMS ?

probably around 15-25 but depends how hard the paper was.
Reply 12

You still have plenty of time until C3 & C4, get your head down, use all 24 hours of the day properly. Concentrate on your weak topics watch videos on them in examsolutions, always work on your weaknesses, don't do questions that you always get right, that's waste of time. You can get 100 UMS in C3 & C4 if you really want it.
Reply 13

I would agree to this
Reply 14
Thanks everyone for your help!!! I will start on past papers now.
Reply 15
One question: how many marks do I need to secure for c3/c4 for a C
Last year, 36 marks was 40 UMS and 0 marks was 0 UMS. Therefore 20 marks would be somewhere in between. Anyway, you have probably done better than you think in D1.

C overall or C in those papers? For the papers, look at grade boundaries.

E.g. https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/1506-A-level-Grade-Boundaries.pdf
Reply 18
Original post by Lozzie97
C overall or C in those papers? For the papers, look at grade boundaries.

E.g. https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/1506-A-level-Grade-Boundaries.pdf

C in those papers

It is different for every paper, as i said search google for your exam board's UMS calculator.

Quick Reply

Latest