The Student Room Group

Smart casual?

Scroll to see replies

Just wear a dress/skirt with your usual pumps - that way you're not overdressed but you're not accidentally the only one wearing jeans.

Btw I mean a casual dress or skirt and top, not a formal one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
A year and a half? Wow. I started GCSE Latin at the beginning of year 10 but I started learning Latin in year 8. We had to choose our own topic to research and then memorise and write up a 400 word essay in 20 minutes, kind of like a controlled assessment, luckily my teacher let us type it up.

Oh ok, I guess that makes sense. I prefer the reading and listening as you don't have to do much preparation for them. The speaking is the one I hate the most as you don't have any time to stop and think, in any of the other papers except perhaps the listening no one will ever find out if you sat there doing nothing for ages. I just find the speaking stressful, especially in German I tend to blurt stuff out and realise the second I said it how wrong it was. Most of my friends memorised answers for speaking but I didn't, did you?

Your welcome :smile:

Also, what do you think of history?
Original post by niv1234
A year and a half? Wow. I started GCSE Latin at the beginning of year 10 but I started learning Latin in year 8. We had to choose our own topic to research and then memorise and write up a 400 word essay in 20 minutes, kind of like a controlled assessment, luckily my teacher let us type it up.

Oh ok, I guess that makes sense. I prefer the reading and listening as you don't have to do much preparation for them. The speaking is the one I hate the most as you don't have any time to stop and think, in any of the other papers except perhaps the listening no one will ever find out if you sat there doing nothing for ages. I just find the speaking stressful, especially in German I tend to blurt stuff out and realise the second I said it how wrong it was. Most of my friends memorised answers for speaking but I didn't, did you?

Your welcome :smile:

Also, what do you think of history?

That was just for Greek - started learning Latin from Year 7 :smile:

I have to admit I learned it all off by heart - I'm not very good at on-the-spot improvisation! The unseen bit with the photo part of the exam really stressed me out...

I love history! I hate history! It's a delicate balance between enjoying the subject and drowning in the amount of content and facts and statistics you have to learn...how about you?
u a girl. if so i find evening jumpsuits very SMART and casual.
Original post by Evilstr99
Would turning up in a suit or dress seem too...smart and professional? :wink:

Maybe a dress but definitely not a suit I don't own one of those and I don't see myself ever owning one either.
Original post by nomophobia
Just wear a dress/skirt with your usual pumps - that way you're not overdressed but you're not accidentally the only one wearing jeans.

Btw I mean a casual dress or skirt and top, not a formal one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks this is a really good idea, I will probably end up doing this. I don't want to appear too formal so this would work.
Good luck hun! :biggrin:
I would wear, jeans or leggings with a tee, or jumper, or something, with flats etc, I wouldn't say trainers, because they are slightly informal. :tongue: Hope it helps!
I hope it goes well for you! x
I always find the smart casual dress situation awkward because you don't want to be way too smart but you don't want to look like you've made no effort whatsoever,

Personally for these events, I like to wear my school shirts and trousers (I'm in 6th Form btw so we can choose what we wear but it has to be smart) with trainers, but for you it may be a skirt or dress etc. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
u a girl. if so i find evening jumpsuits very SMART and casual.

Yes I'm a girl. That looks nice. But I really can't imagine myself in anything like that. I don't own a jumpsuit. Thanks for the help though.
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Good luck hun! :biggrin:
I would wear, jeans or leggings with a tee, or jumper, or something, with flats etc, I wouldn't say trainers, because they are slightly informal. :tongue: Hope it helps!
I hope it goes well for you! x

Thank you. I think i will probably wear a Tshirt with jeans or a skirt, I'm just worried that they might say jeans are too informal. I don't know what the dress code there is like, I should probably check that.
Original post by IKEAPanda37
I always find the smart casual dress situation awkward because you don't want to be way too smart but you don't want to look like you've made no effort whatsoever,

Personally for these events, I like to wear my school shirts and trousers (I'm in 6th Form btw so we can choose what we wear but it has to be smart) with trainers, but for you it may be a skirt or dress etc. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you this really helped. This is exactly my problem I don't want to seem too casual or too formal and uptight. I will probably end up wearing a skirt.
Original post by niv1234
Thank you. I think i will probably wear a Tshirt with jeans or a skirt, I'm just worried that they might say jeans are too informal. I don't know what the dress code there is like, I should probably check that.

Your welcome! :smile: They shouldn't do, as long as they're not rip jeans, or like too skinny or blue etc, try wearing black ones maybe? Yh, check it out, tht's a gd idea :tongue:
Original post by metellaest
That was just for Greek - started learning Latin from Year 7 :smile:

I have to admit I learned it all off by heart - I'm not very good at on-the-spot improvisation! The unseen bit with the photo part of the exam really stressed me out...

I love history! I hate history! It's a delicate balance between enjoying the subject and drowning in the amount of content and facts and statistics you have to learn...how about you?

Oh ok

I had ideas for each question but I didn't learn anything word for word as I knew I would have panicked if I forgot something. Yes the photo card is very stressful. I didn't realise this til afterwards but my German one was a boy playing a guitar in a messy room and I described everything about the room but forgot to mention that there was a boy playing a guitar. Oops.

I know what you mean. I personally enjoy history lessons and learning the content but I don't like all the essay writing that comes with it. I hate learning all the statistics too. I have my last history exam on Tuesday and its our sources paper so I need to memorise loads of random facts to put in as my own knowledge before then. Ugh.
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Your welcome! :smile: They shouldn't do, as long as they're not rip jeans, or like too skinny or blue etc, try wearing black ones maybe? Yh, check it out, tht's a gd idea :tongue:

Oh ok, thats a good idea. I might try black jeans after I check the dress code.
Original post by niv1234
Thank you this really helped. This is exactly my problem I don't want to seem too casual or too formal and uptight. I will probably end up wearing a skirt.

You're very welcome:h:

Yeah, my parents are annoying in these situations, we always argue about what counts as smart casual, they don't understand the "casual" element whatsoever:rolleyes:

Btw thanks for the follow, I followed you back:thumbsup:
Original post by niv1234
Maybe a dress but definitely not a suit I don't own one of those and I don't see myself ever owning one either.

Of course, it's either one or the other. :giggle:[*]

[*]
Original post by niv1234
Thanks this is a really good idea, I will probably end up doing this. I don't want to appear too formal so this would work.

You're welcome! There's no dress code at my college and loads of people wear dresses and skirts (myself included) and it still looks pretty casual - although I must say lots more turn up in trackies and jeans :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wear what you'd wear if you were going into town

HTH
Original post by IKEAPanda37
You're very welcome:h:

Yeah, my parents are annoying in these situations, we always argue about what counts as smart casual, they don't understand the "casual" element whatsoever:rolleyes:

Btw thanks for the follow, I followed you back:thumbsup:

I get what you mean. You're welcome, you seem like a nice person and thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest