The Student Room Group

How will A-level Maths work next academic year?

Are there AS levels anymore? If not, will all the exams be done at the end of Year 13? Will Maths A-level comprise of the same modules (old spec) for all exam boards?
Reply 1
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Are there AS levels anymore? If not, will all the exams be done at the end of Year 13? Will Maths A-level comprise of the same modules (old spec) for all exam boards?

For those currently in year 11 the maths syllabus at A' Level remains the same as in previous years:
C1, C2 + 1x applied unit - AS
C3, C4 + 1x applied unit - A2

Every exam you take for maths in both year 12 and year 13 will count towards your final A' Level. The new maths A' Level begins with the current year 10s.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Gymnast7
For those currently in year 11 the maths syllabus at A' Level remains the same as in previous years:
C1, C2 + 1x applied unit - AS
C3, C4 + 1x applied unit - A2

Every exam you take for maths in both year 12 and year 13 will count towards your final A' Level. The new maths A' Level begins with the current year 10s.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I don't get it though when people say AS levels have been scrapped?

Some schools like the one i'm planning to go to no longer do AS and have scrapped it
Reply 4
Original post by SunnyBoys
Some schools like the one i'm planning to go to no longer do AS and have scrapped it

Oh, okay thanks.

Shouldn't you be focusing on Monday's match against Slovakia?!
Reply 6
Original post by somevirtualguy
Shouldn't you be focusing on Monday's match against Slovakia?!

Studying in case Woy doesn't play me.
Reply 7
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/mathematics-7356

From what I've been told my year (12) will be the penultimate year for as maths counting as 50/50 as/a2 although some schools will still do the AS part from 2017 (September) onwards for the UCAS points and as a 1st year mock, with two papers in the as spec and 3 papers for a2. Essentially it's a standalone thing but it's possible to retake under old spec like some Year 13s have for their previous spec in English & other subjects. Might just be AQA but seems like it'll be pretty similar across the board.

Blame the bloody tories...
Studying in case Woy doesn't play me.

We can only hope he does
Reply 9

For each new syllabus the AS and A' Level have been 'decoupled' - AS levels do still exist (though your school might not allow you to take them!). This 'decoupling' means that they are now 2 separate qualifications.
Depending on your school, you may sit both the AS qualification at the end of year 12 and the A' Level qualification at the end of year 13, or you may just sit the A' Level at the end of year 13.
If you do sit the the AS and decide to then sit the A' Level, your results from your AS are discarded and replaced by your full A' Level results. In most subjects it is like redoing your AS exams in year 13 as well as taking the new papers (though some subjects are slightly different).
If your school only allows you to sit the A' Level, you are not really at a disadvantage as you would have to take the exams again at the end of year 13.

Just to be clear - this is only for new specifications; maths and further maths (and a few others) still remain as they have previously been for the current year 11s.

Sorry for the long reply!
Original post by Gymnast7
For each new syllabus the AS and A' Level have been 'decoupled' - AS levels do still exist (though your school might not allow you to take them!). This 'decoupling' means that they are now 2 separate qualifications.
Depending on your school, you may sit both the AS qualification at the end of year 12 and the A' Level qualification at the end of year 13, or you may just sit the A' Level at the end of year 13.
If you do sit the the AS and decide to then sit the A' Level, your results from your AS are discarded and replaced by your full A' Level results. In most subjects it is like redoing your AS exams in year 13 as well as taking the new papers (though some subjects are slightly different).
If your school only allows you to sit the A' Level, you are not really at a disadvantage as you would have to take the exams again at the end of year 13.

Just to be clear - this is only for new specifications; maths and further maths (and a few others) still remain as they have previously been for the current year 11s.

Sorry for the long reply!

Thanks for your reply! I understand now.

Quick Reply

Latest