The Student Room Group

jamestg's AS success!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Just completed the 2015 C2 paper...

There is A LOT of work to do. :frown:
Reply 141
Just completed Jan 2012 C1, C2 and M1 papers consecutively, to give an idea where I'm standing based on a single exam season.

C1 - 93UMS (good, should be better)
C2 - 87UMS (good, some very silly errors but nothing because of a lack of understanding)
M1 - 67UMS (not bad, first M1 paper I've done)

That's 247/300, an A overall!

Obviously I want to do better in the real thing, but these papers were done without any prep/revision before - just what I can produce on the spot. I've found my weaknesses across AS maths and will be working on them over the next few days!

Am I worried about the M1 mark? No. It's the first M1 paper I've done and it takes a bit of getting used to. Also I did not revise for it, so the marks will be lower. Finally it was the last paper out of the three, so I was pretty tired by the end of it. I know what I need to do!

Back to revision! Think I'll do some biology :biggrin:
Reply 142
Not a particularly productive nor unproductive day...

- worked on the mistakes on my maths papers from Friday
- did some vectors revision
- M1 past paper
- finished chapter 2 of 4 for Italy revision! (half way there!)
- biology 'revision', i.e. watched mrpollock videos in an incoherent order but it was honestly great because I got various bits of biology done from variation to cell structure!
- C2 integration assignment

Tomorrow:
- more Italy notes
- Germany presentation
- finish democracy notes
- do more Parliament notes
- random biology revision
- Italy homework
- vectors revision
Original post by jamestg
Just completed Jan 2012 C1, C2 and M1 papers consecutively, to give an idea where I'm standing based on a single exam season.

C1 - 93UMS (good, should be better)
C2 - 87UMS (good, some very silly errors but nothing because of a lack of understanding)
M1 - 67UMS (not bad, first M1 paper I've done)

That's 247/300, an A overall!

Obviously I want to do better in the real thing, but these papers were done without any prep/revision before - just what I can produce on the spot. I've found my weaknesses across AS maths and will be working on them over the next few days!

Am I worried about the M1 mark? No. It's the first M1 paper I've done and it takes a bit of getting used to. Also I did not revise for it, so the marks will be lower. Finally it was the last paper out of the three, so I was pretty tired by the end of it. I know what I need to do!

Back to revision! Think I'll do some biology :biggrin:

what did you use to find the ums for your mark in a specific year?
Reply 144
Original post by richpanda
what did you use to find the ums for your mark in a specific year?

Google 'edexcel raw marks/UMS converter' :smile:
Original post by jamestg
x

Hope your exams are going well:colondollar:
Reply 146
After over a month's absence - I AM BACK!!!

Last exam was today and I'll go into all the details later this evening

Pretty impressed that I managed to keep it up!
Original post by jamestg
After over a month's absence - I AM BACK!!!

Last exam was today and I'll go into all the details later this evening

Pretty impressed that I managed to keep it up!

Ohh congrats on finishing!!!:tongue:
Ive sat 5 and have 5 still to go.
Roll on 23rd of June...
Reply 148
Original post by ozmo19
Ohh congrats on finishing!!!:tongue:
Ive sat 5 and have 5 still to go.
Roll on 23rd of June...

Thank you and holy moly! Your exam season is so long!! Even GCSEs finished by the 16th June for me last year!
Original post by jamestg
Thank you and holy moly! Your exam season is so long!! Even GCSEs finished by the 16th June for me last year!

Last year I finished on the 12th June. Don't know whats going on this year but its killing me:s-smilie:

Enjoy your well earned time off now!
Reply 150
Original post by ozmo19
Last year I finished on the 12th June. Don't know whats going on this year but its killing me:s-smilie:

Enjoy your well earned time off now!

Good luck with the rest!!

This is me for the next 4 days
[video="youtube;0SRRe7yfCOw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SRRe7yfCOw[/video]
Reply 151
EXAM ANALYSIS

I'll go in chronological order.

18/05 C1 - pretty horrific, first exam nerves got to me and I just know I've done badly. The worst thing is I could have gained 3 marks so easily.

School predicted grade - A (90+)
Post exam predicted - B

18/05 Germany (History) - part a and c weren't too bad, however part c was gutting. Such a confusingly worded question and my essays didn't feel like A-level essays...

School predicted grade - B
Post exam predicted - D

25/05 C2 - not too bad, thought I had aced it until I realised I forgot to round numbers in the last question and I got the last bit of the binomial expansion question wrong. Hey ho, bye bye accuracy marks.

School predicted grade - A
Post exam predicted - A

25/05 Italy (History) - this exam was bad. It took me too long to try and answer the source question, and by the time it was answered it was ****. The essay wasn't too bad, however again it didn't feel like an A-level essay.

Post exam predicted - D

26/05 Biology P1 - meh, not too hard but not that easy. Lost a few marks guaranteed for silly mistakes and I am bound to lose marks for not being precise with terminology.

Post exam predicted - C

6/06 People and Politics (Politics) - as bad as C1, so disappointed. My elections 25 marker was not balanced, pressure groups 25 marker was rushed and the rest were just a blur and have no idea what the result for those will be.

Post exam predicted - C

7/06 Biology P2 - much better than paper 1, weird seed question and gutted I didn't revise carbohydrates enough because that was a 5 marker, the other 5 marker went well though.

Post exam predicted - B

8/06 M1 - except for the direction mistake I made (I did an arrow like wtf james) and the impulse question, it went okay. All the work and fear might have been worth it!

Post exam predicted - A

9/06 Governing the UK (Politics) - except for the awful 10 marker and rushed 25 marker, the 5 marker and 40 marker went okay!

Post exam predicted - B
Reply 152
Time to start A2!!
Original post by jamestg
Time to start A2!!

What do you plan to do over summer?

I think ill do maybe C3/C4 stuff because Im thinking of FM AS (likewise).
Reply 154
Original post by ozmo19
What do you plan to do over summer?

I think ill do maybe C3/C4 stuff because Im thinking of FM AS (likewise).

Yeah I'll do some reading ahead, as well as FM stuff.

I'll probably try and put together a personal statement too, as well as begin to prepare for any entrance exams I'll be having to take (best to wait until after results day for that though lol).
Original post by jamestg
Yeah I'll do some reading ahead, as well as FM stuff.

I'll probably try and put together a personal statement too, as well as begin to prepare for any entrance exams I'll be having to take (best to wait until after results day for that though lol).

Im unsure about what I'm applying for so Ill have to wait until I decide before I start preparation for entrance exams. I'd be self-teaching FM so I guess I could work ahead because ill be doing it all at some point on my own.
Original post by jamestg
EXAM ANALYSIS

I'll go in chronological order.

18/05 C1 - pretty horrific, first exam nerves got to me and I just know I've done badly. The worst thing is I could have gained 3 marks so easily.

School predicted grade - A (90+)
Post exam predicted - B

18/05 Germany (History) - part a and c weren't too bad, however part c was gutting. Such a confusingly worded question and my essays didn't feel like A-level essays...

Post exam predicted - D

25/05 C2 - not too bad, thought I had aced it until I realised I forgot to round numbers in the last question and I got the last bit of the binomial expansion question wrong. Hey ho, bye bye accuracy marks.

Post exam predicted - A

25/05 Italy (History) - this exam was bad. It took me too long to try and answer the source question, and by the time it was answered it was ****. The essay wasn't too bad, however again it didn't feel like an A-level essay.

Post exam predicted - D

26/05 Biology P1 - meh, not too hard but not that easy. Lost a few marks guaranteed for silly mistakes and I am bound to lose marks for not being precise with terminology.

Post exam predicted - C

6/06 People and Politics (Politics) - as bad as C1, so disappointed. My elections 25 marker was not balanced, pressure groups 25 marker was rushed and the rest were just a blur and have no idea what the result for those will be.

Post exam predicted - C

7/06 Biology P2 - much better than paper 1, weird seed question and gutted I didn't revise carbohydrates enough because that was a 5 marker, the other 5 marker went well though.

Post exam predicted - B

8/06 M1 - except for the direction mistake I made (I did an arrow like wtf james) and the impulse question, it went okay. All the work and fear might have been worth it!

Post exam predicted - A

9/06 Governing the UK (Politics) - except for the awful 10 marker and rushed 25 marker, the 5 marker and 40 marker went okay!

Post exam predicted - B

all dat revision bruh!!!!!

Where are you thinking of applying too?

Peterhouse?
Reply 157
Original post by govandpolitics
all dat revision bruh!!!!!

Where are you thinking of applying too?

Peterhouse?

If I apply to Cambridge, either Peterhouse or Corpus.

There's also the likes of Durham, Exeter, Bath...
Original post by jamestg
If I apply to Cambridge, either Peterhouse or Corpus.

There's also the likes of Durham, Exeter, Bath...

with ACCD?
Reply 159
Original post by govandpolitics
with ACCD?

That's worst case I think, politics and history are fairly hard to guess how you've done IMO. I thought I had failed some of my GCSE history exams and got almost full marks in one of them.

In some cases, like politics, it might be a grade bringing it down which should be an A.

Quick Reply

Latest