The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DDan123
Agreed. But I have no idea what to expect for Chem 5 now. I felt confident for both units, but the exam on Tuesday completely shocked me so idek...

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly me!
Was so confident I knew what I was doing and then that exam came and destroyed me.
Now I'm revising CHEM5 like "is there even point when this probably won't even be asked?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
Agreed. But I have no idea what to expect for Chem 5 now. I felt confident for both units, but the exam on Tuesday completely shocked me so idek...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just get the basics of chem5 down and memorise those damn colours
Hi guys I have a question about the chem5 june 2015 paper

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-QP-JUN15.PDF

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-MS-JUN15.PDF

for 2b, why can't you use the equation

2H2 + O2 -----> 2H20 ??? Any help would be much appreciated!!
Original post by SirRaza97
Just get the basics of chem5 down and memorise those damn colours

I think CHEM5 is the slightly easier one (please don't let it be jinxed) because it's mainly about what you can remember and very little application questions can be asked

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Hi guys I have a question about the chem5 june 2015 paper

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-QP-JUN15.PDF

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-MS-JUN15.PDF

for 2b, why can't you use the equation

2H2 + O2 -----> 2H20 ??? Any help would be much appreciated!!

The enthalpy of formation is define as "when ONE mole of a substance is formed" therefore you need to only make ONE mole of Water/H2O
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 26december
The enthalpy of formation is define as "when ONE mole of a substance is formed" therefore you need to only make ONE mole of Water/H2O

Oh yeah! Thank you! :smile:
Original post by SirRaza97
Generally ionic character is stronger than covalency but it really depends what you are comparing with what. Some covelant bonds are much stronger than ionic bonds and vice versa.

I think to answer your question (i am taking a guess) is that the covelant character in aliminum oxide is little compared to the ionic character. This slightly weakens the ionic bonding which is prescedent and causes it to have a lower melting point. Or, the idea of shielding and ionic radius of each element comes into play to effect the attraction between the two. Aluminium has more shielding due to an electron being in the 3p orbital.

Hi thanks,

I predicted a hard chem 4 paper ages ago lol - btw another Q - in AG= AH-TAS expression why is the entropy the one /1000 and not enthalpy as the enthalpy is kj/mol
Does anyone have a diagram with the colours ions we need to learn for CHEM 5
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
Hi thanks,

I predicted a hard chem 4 paper ages ago lol - btw another Q - in AG= AH-TAS expression why is the entropy the one /1000 and not enthalpy as the enthalpy is kj/mol

Hi can I jump in?

When you calculate entropy change, AS (where A is delta, the triangle) it's in units of J/K/mol

When using AG = AH - TAS:

AG is Gibbs free energy change in kJ/mol
AH is enthalpy change in kJ/mol
T is temperature in K
AS is entropy change in kJ/k/mol

Therefore you have to divide AS (when you calculate it from entropy data only) by 1000 to convert from J/K/mol into kJ/K/mol
Original post by rolla01

https://getrevising.co.uk/resources/colours-of-ions-in-solution-table-with-formulas-and-observations
Reply 1750
Original post by Suits101
Hi can I jump in?

When you calculate entropy change, AS (where A is delta, the triangle) it's in units of J/K/mol

T is temperature in K

Therefore you have to divide AS (when you calculate it from entropy data only) by 1000 to convert from J/K/mol into kJ/K/mol

does a reaction become spontaneous when AG is negative or positive?
Thanks
Original post by 12284
does a reaction become spontaneous when AG is negative or positive?
Thanks

Reaction is feasible if AG <= 0

(where <= means less than or equal to)
does anyone have any predictions for chem 5?
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
Hi thanks,

My answer is what I think so it might not be right. I can ask my teacher and see what they say about it.

The reason you have to divide it by 1000 is so that it is in KJ mol-1 K-1 and not J mol-1 K-1 (You're converting the Joules into kilo-joules).

Think of it like taking away a measurement that's in metres from a measurement that's in kilometres. Converting both units to kilometres (or both to metres) makes the calculation easier. You could just do it keeping the units in the form they are in, but it will be quite fiddly.

Also it's important to note KJ/Mol is a standard unit so most answers are in this form. Gibbs free energy is usually in KJ/mol.
Original post by Suits101
Hi can I jump in?

T is temperature in K

Just a quick note. ΔS is not measured in J/K/Mol it's measured in J / K mol. Just being a bit of a neat freak here xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by faizah007
does anyone have any predictions for chem 5?

You can't really predict what's going to be on the paper (especially since what chem4 was like). Go through all of it. Leave nothing out.
Getting stressed now :///
Original post by rolla01

Will this help?

Original post by rolla01

AQA Revision guide page 95 has a class table
Reply 1759
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-QP-JUN12.PDF

can someone please explain 2(b) to 2(d) for me please

I dont understand how Gibbs free energy change is represented on a graph

Quick Reply