The Student Room Group

Is religion a form of racism?

1. You might think your religion is better than others simply because you were born into it (almost a definition of a racist if you swap word over).

2. You might give a co-religionist more help (academic, work, social, loans, gifts etc) than people from other religions or none (almost a definition of a racist if you swap word over)

I know this causes a paradox, as a 'no religionist' can have the same faults. But if we injectREAL honesty into our religions we would accept that an average human being at different points in his or her life will have all sorts of beliefs and half beliefs that are not related to organised religion of any kind.

An average human will be totally atheist, then believe in faeries andpixies, then latin rite mass or sunni muslim or aliens, perhaps negative gods or pi gods, or infinite gods, or one, or none, or 0.00343343% of a god all at once or at different times or at no time. We're just a kaleidoscope of belief and organised religion has failed to accept that. It straight jackets us into"religious races" - jews, muslims, buddhists, jains, casts, christians, catholics, atheists, agnostics,all the labels are nonsense and make total rational sense all at once.

If you are a straight jacketed religionist/atheist are you by definition a racist?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think that any religion is an insult to human intelligence and only limits human progression. There is no point in religion.
Reply 2
Original post by Agent47_
I think that any religion is an insult to human intelligence and only limits human progression. There is no point in religion.

That is my very point, what you have said amounts to racism to religionists.
hush children. you know nothing.
Original post by FredOrJohn
2. You might give a co-religionist more help (academic, work, social, loans, gifts etc) than people from other religions or none (almost a definition of a racist if you swap word over)

This point seems to come with an implication that any show of bias ever is the same as racism, which is a bit iffy
Reply 5
Original post by Agent47_

Alternatively you just don't understand what the point is.
Reply 6

1. You might think your religion is better than others simply because you were born into it (almost a definition of a racist if you swap word over).

I know this causes a paradox, as a 'no religionist' can have the same faults. But if we injectREAL honesty into our religions we would accept that an average human being at different points in his or her life will have all sorts of beliefs and half beliefs that are not related to organised religion of any kind.

An average human will be totally atheist, then believe in faeries andpixies, then latin rite mass or sunni muslim or aliens, perhaps negative gods or pi gods, or infinite gods, or one, or none, or 0.00343343% of a god all at once or at different times or at no time. We're just a kaleidoscope of belief and organised religion has failed to accept that. It straight jackets us into"religious races" - jews, muslims, buddhists, jains, casts, christians, catholics, atheists, agnostics,all the labels are nonsense and make total rational sense all at once.

If you are a straight jacketed religionist/atheist are you by definition a racist?

Lol what a load of midget intellectual Sh*te.

You want to know if a religion is racist??
Go to a church, a mosque a synagogue. See how diverse it is and how everyone treats one and another that will disprove that bulls***t you wasted your time typing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7

Well a racist is someone who shows that one's race is superior than another(s)- you dont know if anyone thinks his/her race is better unless one shows it.

So by using the same logic, you cant presume one believes his religion/ faith is better unless he implements it in his life by , lets say only talking to anyone else except his kind or always spreading hate against others - and preaching does not count as preaching is considered teaching and teaching someone a correct/ better method is not by any means racist especially since teachers/preachers spread their message towards everyone. If one is spreading hate via preaching, then there is a problem. (cough cough British first cough cough).
Reply 8

An average human will be totally atheist, then believe in faeries andpixies, then latin rite mass or sunni muslim or aliens, perhaps negative gods or pi gods, or infinite gods, or one, or none

What on earth do you mean 'average human'. Each and every human is unique especially in their views, beliefs and perception of the world. If you look at tribes, what do they do? worship things (fire tress the sun etc.). So its human nature to worship something, as to what you worship, that's affected by external influence i.e parents, teachers society. If you mean majority of humans do not believe in god, your wrong therefore your 'average human' statement is....absurd.

I don't really believe in a god but both my parents are very religious. I guess I see what you mean in your points but I think its just that people are more likely to get on with people who they have something in common with. I think this is fine as long as you respect everyone and help anyone who needs it regardless of their race or religion. Yes I do think that some religious people think that their religion is the only one and so on but I think this si fine as long as they are respectful to to others and keep thoughts such as this to themselves.
Reply 10
I fail to see the point of believing a religion (or non-religion) unless you think its better than all the rest and thus racist.

And thus, by definition, you will see fellow believers (or no believers) as better than others.

There is clear evidence using "surname" research in job hunting that for some jobs you are more likely to get a job if you have that surname. Some of this will be racist and some of it religionist.

The smaller the religion sometimes the more obvious the "help" provided. Take the Quakers in the 18th century:
http://www.leveson.org.uk/stmarys/resources/cadbury0503.htm
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Stormz1
What on earth do you mean 'average human'. Each and every human is unique especially in their views, beliefs and perception of the world. If you look at tribes, what do they do? worship things (fire tress the sun etc.). So its human nature to worship something, as to what you worship, that's affected by external influence i.e parents, teachers society. If you mean majority of humans do not believe in god, your wrong therefore your 'average human' statement is....absurd.

A human brain is not a brain washed thing, thoughts come in from all over the place, without any real way of stopping it. You are living in denial if you think your thoughts are always "organised religion" thoughts. They go all over the place.
Found this Bible quote. I don't think religion has necessarily to do with race except Judaism tbh.

Galatians 3:28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Is religion a form of racism?1. You might think your religion is better than others simply because you were born into it (almost a definition of a racist if you swap word over).2. You might give a co-religionist more help (academic, work, social, loans, gifts etc) than people from other religions or none (almost a definition of a racist if you swap word over)I know this causes a paradox, as a 'no religionist' can have the same faults. But if we injectREAL honesty into our religions we would accept that an average human being at different points in his or her life will have all sorts of beliefs and half beliefs that are not related to organised religion of any kind.An average human will be totally atheist, then believe in faeries andpixies, then latin rite mass or sunni muslim or aliens, perhaps negative gods or pi gods, or infinite gods, or one, or none, or 0.00343343% of a god all at once or at different times or at no time. We're just a kaleidoscope of belief and organised religion has failed to accept that. It straight jackets us into"religious races" - jews, muslims, buddhists, jains, casts, christians, catholics, atheists, agnostics,all the labels are nonsense and make total rational sense all at once.If you are a straight jacketed religionist/atheist are you by definition a racist?

It's not a form of racism in most cases, as usually your religion isn't your race. Of course, since to be Jewish is both a race and a religion, anti-semitism is also a form of racism. In general however, to discriminate against people from other religions is just that, discrimination. You're right that it is similar to racism but that's just because racism is another "branch" of discrimination.
Reply 14
Original post by Stormz1
.... since teachers/preachers spread their message towards everyone.....

I think most religions sell that "this is the last message from god" or such like (if scientist) and thus accept no other more logical (or less logical) alternatives, its a closed set mind. But it also often has a concept of "brothers and sisters" (eg Jesus saying "my bothers and sisters are those that follow me":wink: - its making co-religionists part of your family and thus the ones you should help above other people (eg jihands and crusades are about helping fellow believers as is, more likely, getting your "mates" jobs).
Reply 15
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Found this Bible quote. I don't think religion has necessarily to do with race except Judaism tbh.

Galatians 3:28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

My "brothers and sisters" are those that follow me. That is quite racist and divisive.
My "brothers and sisters" are those that follow me. That is quite racist and divisive.

That's not racist though just divisive.
Reply 17
Original post by Platopus
It's not a form of racism in most cases, as usually your religion isn't your race. Of course, since to be Jewish is both a race and a religion, anti-semitism is also a form of racism. In general however, to discriminate against people from other religions is just that, discrimination. You're right that it is similar to racism but that's just because racism is another "branch" of discrimination.

boring word ology. We all know that there is no real thing as race either (as perceived by common speaking), an indian is just as much a Caucasian as anyone else
*discrimination
boring word ology. We all know that there is no real thing as race either (as perceived by common speaking), an indian is just as much a Caucasian as anyone else

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(biology)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending