The Student Room Group

Why do people pay thousands for the priviledge of being able to drive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
[scroll]:heart::auto::heart:[/scroll]

Mashallah,a beautiful masterpiece :h:
Original post by queen-bee
Mashallah,a beautiful masterpiece :h:

thank you Dear One.

i have some lovely sweeties in my car :colondollar:

thank you Dear One.

i have some lovely sweeties in my car :colondollar:

Yes please! :innocent:
Yes please! :innocent:

jump in. i am just locking the doors for safety :ahee:

[scroll]:colone::auto::colone:[/scroll]
jump in. i am just locking the doors for safety :ahee:

[scroll]:colone::auto::colone:[/scroll]

:laugh:
:laugh:

only joking.

what is your favorite tube line ? :holmes:
only joking.

what is your favorite tube line ? :holmes:

My tube line,Piccadilly
My tube line,Piccadilly

i like the District Line. and also the Northern Line ?
i like the District Line. and also the Northern Line ?

Why? District line also passes at S.Ken
Oh what area did you live in?
Why? District line also passes at S.Ken
Oh what area did you live in?

when i lived in Stepney i would take the District Line all the way to Richmond.
Original post by Laomedeia
I wont bother pointing out all the things that piss me off with driving, suffice to say that the roads these days are a total farce. If you dont already require a car for work etc, why would you bother spending the ridiculous amount of money required to drive a car? Given the state of the road infrastructure these days, the car is no longer a practical means of private transport. Its certainly not worth thousands of pounds anyway.

Because without a car I would be stuck at home all day doing nothing and I would have pretty much no life at all.

A car is by far the most practical means of transport and gives you total independence - I can go where I want whenever I want. Public transport is often poor in some areas and doesn't go everywhere.
when i lived in Stepney i would take the District Line all the way to Richmond.

Ah yes,it stops at Richmond. It's such a shame you moved from London Town
Ah yes,it stops at Richmond. It's such a shame you moved from London Town

my finest moment on London Transport was restraining a violent Cockney who was racially attacking a bus conductor.
my finest moment on London Transport was restraining a violent Cockney who was racially attacking a bus conductor.

Oh wow. Did it end okay?
No doubt you live in London or a large city.

If you live in Wales as I do, a car is needed to widen your job prospects?

Also without a car I wouldn't be able to just pop and see my friends who live an hour away, it would turn into a farce of having to catch a 40 minute bus into town which is only a 15 minute drive, and then a 40 minute train ride. And then I'd have to make my way from the train station to wherever they lived.

Not worth it. And say if I fancied a walk in the country, or to go somewhere a bit different I couldn't do it with public transport.

I know public transport is more environmentally friendly, but some places afford use of public transport much more than others. Not driving would really limit me.
Reply 35
If you live somewhere like London or Manchester with good transport links, then that's fine to not have a car.
However, if you live in other places where public transport is abysmal, then this gives you no choice
I have to drive a car for my job, I have no choice in that and it was specified in the job description. Hence why I get paid an 'essential user allowance' for using my car.
When I was younger and a student I could have got away without having a car.
Original post by Laomedeia
I wont bother pointing out all the things that piss me off with driving, suffice to say that the roads these days are a total farce. If you dont already require a car for work etc, why would you bother spending the ridiculous amount of money required to drive a car? Given the state of the road infrastructure these days, the car is no longer a practical means of private transport. Its certainly not worth thousands of pounds anyway.

It is a rite of passage for 17 year olds, I guess if you don't pass during sixth form then it becomes more tedious learning. However, I don't disagree with the points you make, driving lessons involve being ripped off by instructors and are not fun until you get onto dual carriageways haha.
Maybe because having a driving license is for life and some jobs even require it. You never know when you need a car. Relying on public transport especially in rural areas is a nightmare
Oh wow. Did it end okay?

yes we bundled the oaf off the bus and continued on our way.
having a vehicle is important for attracting ladies ?

[video="youtube;PHnIMjafHjY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHnIMjafHjY[/video]

*Warning: Rudeness*

Quick Reply