The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS3/BUSS4 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by De Re Publica
How would you answer the question - "To what extent are a businesses profits dependent on its commitment to CSR"

I'd talk about how there's an increasing expectation of customers (links well to Porter) for businesses to act socially, ethically and environmentally responsible. If a business takes it completely in its stride, not only can it act as a USP and add value (whole line of analysis over how this justifies higher selling prices, Porter differentiation strategy) but it also raises the business's profile and consumer confidence whilst pressurising competitors to do the same. If you're one of these competitors not embracing it whilst the rest of the industry is, you're going to be left at a competitive disadvantage that customers may well recognise which in turn will have a long-term impact on your profitability. I'd link in Unilever, M&S and lush in the positive arguments. I'd try and slip Elkington's triple bottom line theory into the argument too.

My paragraph against would be focused on how other factors are more prevalent, and add in a little evaluation on how it ultimately depends on the industry. I'd probably go down the lines of how the business's products, services and their quality are more essential - CSR, whilst helpful, can be overlooked but if the products don't meet customer expectations, this is clearly going to have a worsening impact on profits regardless of how socially responsible the firm is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ryanroks1
I'd talk about how there's an increasing expectation of customers (links well to Porter) for businesses to act socially, ethically and environmentally responsible. If a business takes it completely in its stride, not only can it act as a USP and add value (whole line of analysis over how this justifies higher selling prices, Porter differentiation strategy) but it also raises the business's profile and consumer confidence whilst pressurising competitors to do the same. If you're one of these competitors not embracing it whilst the rest of the industry is, you're going to be left at a competitive disadvantage that customers may well recognise which in turn will have a long-term impact on your profitability. I'd link in Unilever, M&S and lush in the positive arguments. I'd try and slip Elkington's triple bottom line theory into the argument too.

My paragraph against would be focused on how other factors are more prevalent, and add in a little evaluation on how it ultimately depends on the industry. I'd probably go down the lines of how the business's products, services and their quality are more essential - CSR, whilst helpful, can be overlooked but if the products don't meet customer expectations, this is clearly going to have a worsening impact on profits regardless of how socially responsible the firm is.

That's helpful, thanks! Do you generally make one argument for and one against, or two for and two against?
That's helpful, thanks! Do you generally make one argument for and one against, or two for and two against?

I normally do three - 2 for the argument I'm siding with, and 1 in the opposite direction.
Does anybody have any predictions for both Section A and B? Or even major/key topics to cover ? I have left my revision to last minute and generally do not have time to cover everything! Any insight would be much appreciated!!
(edited 7 years ago)
How do you achieve good application in essays????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomsouth98
How do you achieve good application in essays????

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) In section A, you need to refer to the case study item. Literally dropping it in somewhere is enough, but you can't get good without a mention of it.

2) When using your researched examples, make sure you don't story tell. If you consistently use them to explain how they support your analysis and why they're relevant, then you're definitely on your way to good.

3) Just to be sure, try and compare and contrast. If your paragraph is focused on how leadership contributes to successful change management because it's visionary, have an example to show where a visionary leader has achieved successful strategic change and then contrast that to show how a poor leader has failed to achieve it - both back up your point but in different ways, and it's this combination that'll guarantee you good.
Original post by Shannon-m
Does anybody have any predictions for both Section A and B? Or even major/key topics to cover ? I have left my revision to last minute and generally do not have time to cover everything! Any insight would be much appreciated!!

Use this youtube playlist from tutor2u: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baN8NrcFaFQ&index=2&list=PLp8BSCLLWBUBjxWh4RzNgKIcLx1qdORV8&spfreload=10 and get 5/6 examples for each topic and learn them for section B, I've made mindmaps for the section B topics but failing that just go over your theory notes

For ecommerce, tutor2u has some great examples - learn those. The theory you can remember should then guide the questions: http://www.tutor2u.net/business/topics/e-commerce
Original post by miacat
Use this youtube playlist from tutor2u: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baN8NrcFaFQ&index=2&list=PLp8BSCLLWBUBjxWh4RzNgKIcLx1qdORV8&spfreload=10 and get 5/6 examples for each topic and learn them for section B, I've made mindmaps for the section B topics but failing that just go over your theory notes

For ecommerce, tutor2u has some great examples - learn those. The theory you can remember should then guide the questions: http://www.tutor2u.net/business/topics/e-commerce

Thank you!!
Reply 548
Does anyone have any section A examples they can share? I'm struggling to find some and I am wasting too much time googling. I have good section B examples but I don't know about section A.

Can anyone help???

Thanks x
I normally do three - 2 for the argument I'm siding with, and 1 in the opposite direction.

I've been told by my teacher that you should always do 2 for and 2 against. Have you been told different?
Original post by Daniel6
I've been told by my teacher that you should always do 2 for and 2 against. Have you been told different?

Yeah, my teacher advises 3 well developed points as well as tutor2u. There is nothing stating in the mark scheme that 4 points are required and given the time constraints, it's far better to focus on producing 3 paragraphs you know are strong over 4 which may be more limited in-depth. You can score good application and good analysis in one paragraph alone - but of course, the others are needed so you can demonstrate a balanced argument. By only doing 3, it also gives you the maximum amount of time possible to form a good evaluation which is essential given it contributes to a 1/4 of the marks.
Yeah, my teacher advises 3 well developed points as well as tutor2u. There is nothing stating in the mark scheme that 4 points are required and given the time constraints, it's far better to focus on producing 3 paragraphs you know are strong over 4 which may be more limited in-depth. You can score good application and good analysis in one paragraph alone - but of course, the others are needed so you can demonstrate a balanced argument. By only doing 3, it also gives you the maximum amount of time possible to form a good evaluation which is essential given it contributes to a 1/4 of the marks.

Is it 26 marks for GAP and GAN, with 14 marks for good evaluation?
Is it 26 marks for GAP and GAN, with 14 marks for good evaluation?

Yep, so just over a third actually!

Ok, cool. I wasn't trying to make it sound like I was saying you're wrong. I would actually rather try to focus on 3 more focused paragraphs than 4 so I will probably do that myself.
Original post by Daniel6
Ok, cool. I wasn't trying to make it sound like I was saying you're wrong. I would actually rather try to focus on 3 more focused paragraphs than 4 so I will probably do that myself.

I can see why 2 and 2 would be recommended because in theory it's more balanced, but I guess if it's not required, it's just extra effort! Hope it all goes well for you on Wednesday :smile:
I think the 4b essay questions are likely to be on =

Brexit/EU

Leadership

Retrenchment

Culture
Reply 556
Does anyone have any section A examples?
Original post by Flo_xo
Does anyone have any section A examples?

To what extent is it essential that businesses invest significantly in e-commerce in order to remain competitive?Is e-commerce now the best way for businesses to enter new markets?Is the best way to exploit developments in e-commerce to sell via multiple channels rather than purely online?To what extent will developments in e-commerce significantly increase the threat of market disruption from new entrants in the future?Do developments in e-commerce mean that firms need to change strategy to achieve higher profits?Do you agree that markets will inevitably become less competitive as the largest e-commerce firms increase their market shares?Is e-commerce an opportunity or a threat to established market leaders?Do you agree that customers have benefited more than shareholders from developments in e-commerce?
Reply 558
Original post by LucyH321
To what extent is it essential that businesses invest significantly in e-commerce in order to remain competitive?Is e-commerce now the best way for businesses to enter new markets?Is the best way to exploit developments in e-commerce to sell via multiple channels rather than purely online?To what extent will developments in e-commerce significantly increase the threat of market disruption from new entrants in the future?Do developments in e-commerce mean that firms need to change strategy to achieve higher profits?Do you agree that markets will inevitably become less competitive as the largest e-commerce firms increase their market shares?Is e-commerce an opportunity or a threat to established market leaders?Do you agree that customers have benefited more than shareholders from developments in e-commerce?

Thanks but do we need to know details i.e. figures e.g market share etc that we have to apply to the example. Or just know the brief example?
Original post by Aidan.reed
Ok, I thought section a was E-commerce this year? I cannot see them personally dedicating a question to the EU, although section A was manufacturing last year was literally all about the EU. Although the EU is right around the corner I wouldn't put it past them. The Economics regarding the departure from the EU is taught in the course in regards to things like quotas.
Things to think of if EU comes up
The impact of leaving
- Loss of competitiveness - As a result of higher prices in that market
- Loss of investment - You could mention how a lack of investment strangles companies Mention Nokia here the best example ever!
- Loss of workforce - depending on the sector it can impact the availability of workers both positively and negatively
- Increase in costs - costs would increase for some firms if the UK left the EU when importing materials

Hope that helps

How could you link Nokia to leaving the EU?

Quick Reply

Latest