The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Devastated about missing out on a first (borderline 2:1/1st class)

I received the results for my English degree today and averaged 68%, which is a borderline 2:1/1st. I've checked the rulebook, and it states that students with more 50% plus of their second or final year credits in the higher class will be awarded the higher classification. All of my modules were 20 credits (6 in total), but I ended up with two in the higher class (marks 73 and 74) and one in the lower class (68), as the start point for a first is 70.

In short, I've missed out on a first by 2 marks, and even though I'm aware that a 2:1 is a pretty good classification, I'm still devastated. Is there any way I can appeal for an extra 2 marks? If not, any advice on getting over my loss would be appreciated as I can't stop dwelling on it. Thanks.
Reply 1
Anybody?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I think the best advice would be to go and speak to a tutor. They might not be able to help directly, but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Achieving a 2:1 is a fantastic achievement, but I know what you mean. I get my results on Tuesday and I'm dying for a 1st. I averaged 70% in my first year and 74% in my second so I am hopeful, but there was a ***** of a module this year that could easily drag me down. It feels really bratty to say you're upset with a 2:1, but you're entitled to feel like that, especially being so damn close and working hard for it.

If you can't get the extra marks then hold your head up. You still have a fantastic achievement that is going to open up so many doors for you. Focus on where you want to be in the future and what you can do to get there (e.g. Work experience, having a knock out CV etc)

Whatever happens, you should be proud.
Posted in error.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Hann95
I think the best advice would be to go and speak to a tutor. They might not be able to help directly, but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Achieving a 2:1 is a fantastic achievement, but I know what you mean. I get my results on Tuesday and I'm dying for a 1st. I averaged 70% in my first year and 74% in my second so I am hopeful, but there was a ***** of a module this year that could easily drag me down. It feels really bratty to say you're upset with a 2:1, but you're entitled to feel like that, especially being so damn close and working hard for it.

If you can't get the extra marks then hold your head up. You still have a fantastic achievement that is going to open up so many doors for you. Focus on where you want to be in the future and what you can do to get there (e.g. Work experience, having a knock out CV etc)

Whatever happens, you should be proud.

Thanks for your reply. :smile: I will speak to my persona tutor and have already emailed the student advice centre. I appreciate that it sounds 'bratty' to complain about getting a 2:1, and I would have been satisfied if I'd received an average of 67 or below. It's just because I actually meet the criteria for borderline, as 2 of my modules are in the 1st class category, and one of them is only 2 marks off. Thanks for your kind words and good luck on Tuesday- hope you get the 1st you were aiming for.
Original post by Chillybz
Thanks for your reply. :smile: I will speak to my persona tutor and have already emailed the student advice centre. I appreciate that it sounds 'bratty' to complain about getting a 2:1, and I would have been satisfied if I'd received an average of 67 or below. It's just because I actually meet the criteria for borderline, as 2 of my modules are in the 1st class category, and one of them is only 2 marks off. Thanks for your kind words and good luck on Tuesday- hope you get the 1st you were aiming for.

I have nothing useful to add but I would say it's not bratty to be 'complaining' about this kind of thing - far from it! You clearly worked quite hard and okay, a 2:1 is still good but a 1st is better and you were pretty darn close, so I can get why it'd be annoying and I think anyone could forgive you for trying to get just enough to make the difference.
Reply 6
Original post by Chillybz

Oh I wasn't meaning you were being bratty, that's how I feel when I think I'd be disappointed with a 2:1. Good luck, I really hope something can be done for you and thank you, I have my fingers and toes crossed
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
I have nothing useful to add but I would say it's not bratty to be 'complaining' about this kind of thing - far from it! You clearly worked quite hard and okay, a 2:1 is still good but a 1st is better and you were pretty darn close, so I can get why it'd be annoying and I think anyone could forgive you for trying to get just enough to make the difference.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM

Clarified directly to OP but just thought I'd say - I was in no way saying she was being bratty, I'm awaiting my results and I meant I know how she feels to be disappointed with a 2:1 after being so close, and feeling like I would be disappointed with a 2:1 feels like I'm being bratty because it's still a fantastic achievement. Sorry for the confusion
Original post by Hann95
Clarified directly to OP but just thought I'd say - I was in no way saying she was being bratty, I'm awaiting my results and I meant I know how she feels to be disappointed with a 2:1 after being so close, and feeling like I would be disappointed with a 2:1 feels like I'm being bratty because it's still a fantastic achievement. Sorry for the confusion

Oh no, I'm not accusing you of anything / didn't notice anything in your posts, I just said it so that the OP wouldn't feel uncomfortable or awkward talking to tutors/advice centres at uni etc. But I definitely agree, it is fantastic to have gotten not just that, but at the very upper end of it too :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Hann95
Oh I wasn't meaning you were being bratty, that's how I feel when I think I'd be disappointed with a 2:1. Good luck, I really hope something can be done for you and thank you, I have my fingers and toes crossed

Oh I see! Yeah, I see how it could be viewed as such, but no worries- I didn't take offence at all. :smile: Thanks again for wishing me well.
Reply 11
Hey, I'm in a similar situation - do you have an update on how it went?

Quick Reply

Latest