The Student Room Group

Physics P2 Unofficial Markscheme Edexcel.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by fluctuation_0
Q1. Static Electricity

a. What is the diagram pointing to? (1)
Answer - Proton.
b. Why does the girl get positively charged as she walks across the nylon carpet? (3)
Answer - The insulating soles of the girl’s shoes rub against the nylon carpet (1)
Electrons are transferred (1)
From the girl to the carpet (1)
c. Why does she get a small electric shock when she touches the metal handle of the door? (2)
Answer - Metal is a conductor (1)
Charge flows (from girl) to the conductor (1)
For an easy route to the ground (1)
d. Math question.
Answer - 6.3C (0.07A * 90)

Q2. Nuclear Fission & Fusion.
a. What is the difference between a fission and fusion reaction?
b. Fill in the blanks (number of protons and neutrons)
Protons - 92
Neutrons - 143
c.
d. Graph question about correlating temperature and fusion reactions per second.
Fusion needs a high temperature to overcome repulsion between positive nuclei. The graph shows a correlation between the increase in rate of fusion reaction per second and temperature - as temperature increases, so does rate of reaction. (thank you to L0st45!)

Q3. Half Life (I think)
a. Half life of Iodine-131.
Answer- 8 days.
b. Estimate half life of Iodine-131 8 days ago.
c. Why do hospital staff have increased risks from handling Iodine-131?
Answer- Beta and gamma are ionising radiation (1)
If they enter the body, they could collide with (molecules of) genetic material / DNA (1)
This could cause cell mutations (1)
Which may lead to tissue damage / cancer (1)
d. Name some precautions taken to prevent being affected by Iodine-131.
Answer- Tongs/Special Suits.
e. What emitter is used for paper rollers?
Answer - Beta emitter.
f. How does this system work?
The beta roller passes through the paper and the detector keeps a track on how many beta particles pass through. If the paper is too thick, beta count drops and the detector sends a signal to reduce pressure on the paper. If the paper is too thin, beta count is too high and the detector sends a signal to increase pressure on the paper.

Q4. Rollercoaster Question
a. 2.37 million/1.71 million
b. 1.71 million.
c. Energy transfer when the rollercoaster moves from C to D.
GPE to Kinetic Energy, as it loses its GPE as it moves downward and according to conservation of energy, it changes to kinetic energy.
d.
e.

Q5. Volts Question
a. Draw the voltmeter.
b. 12 Volts can be written as :
Answer - 12 Joules per coulomb.
c. Prove that the resistance is 11 ohms.
Answer- The resistance was 10.8 ohms, which is about 11 ohms
d.D
e. Six marker on filament lamp.

Q6. Acceleration
a. Acceleration of the graph.
Answer : y/x to get gradient = 6.25m/s^2
b. Draw the graph for a cyclist with a smaller acceleration.
c. Why does the cyclist need to keep pedaling?
Answer- To overcome air resistance and maintain the same velocity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
Predicted grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zoeolo
Predicted grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Proberly 27 for a c and 34 for a B and 42 for a A and 51 for a A*
Original post by Dylanuk16

I think it will be lower because it was much easier last year and the grade boundaries for an A* was 47-49? Forgot which one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I think it will be lower because it was much easier last year and the grade boundaries for an A* was 47-49? Forgot which one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i could be. It all depends how the country does on a whole. I hope it will be lower tho.
Reply 125
Original post by Dylanuk16

Thanks for the response. I hope it's around there because I have got approximately 50-53 marks and still want an A*!

GRADE BOUNDARIES FROM 2013-2015:

2015:
B2 - 49 / A*
C2 - 54 / A* (very easy test!)
P2 - 49 / A*

2014:
B2 - 47 / A*
C2 - 50 / A*
P2 - 48 / A*

2013:
B2 - 52 / A*
C2 - 44 / A*
P2 - 42 / A*

P2 hasn't ever gone above 49 and each test has been equally challenging as today's paper... So I think grade boundaries will be between 49-51

I know this is a P2 thread but for the other two...
C2's highest was 54 and the paper was quite easy... I assume the grade boundary will be around 50 for this years paper (because of the last six marker)
B2 is similar to P2 so it might be between 49-51

Hopefully, this helps but I can't be too sure...

This is based on the higher paper and I have only included an A* because you can get an understanding of what falls beneath that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grace143
kinda sucks when you give a few answers and they get used in the markscheme but there is no rep / quote / mention of it.....

oh noo this was so rude im really sorry!! super nice of you to give creds though:redface:(@ keepyourapology)

just realised im disobeying your username ahah
Hey i wrote a precaution you ahould take ut ti place the radioactive material in thick lead containers would i get a mark for saying that
Original post by haybe2k
Hey i wrote a precaution you ahould take ut ti place the radioactive material in thick lead containers would i get a mark for saying that

Yeah I also wrote that! :-)

I'm glad this mark scheme is here because I was so worried about a few of my answers. I'm always very nervous about Physics but it looks like it went well now . Thank you!
For the V-T graph I found acceleration by doing change in velocity divided by time so it was like 15/2.4 (or something like that) to get 6.25. Did anyone else do it like this?
Original post by Heardmanator
For the V-T graph I found acceleration by doing change in velocity divided by time so it was like 15/2.4 (or something like that) to get 6.25. Did anyone else do it like this?

Yeah I did it like that because they asked for a lower acceleration which would mean a less steep gradient so I divided 17 by the time taken and got an acceleration that was less.:smile: If you're asking about the actual question asking for acceleration then that's how you do it!:smile:
Original post by keepyourapology
Yeah I did it like that because they asked for a lower acceleration which would mean a less steep gradient so I divided 17 by the time taken and got an acceleration that was less.:smile: If you're asking about the actual question asking for acceleration then that's how you do it!:smile:

Yeah I was thank you 😊
Reply 132
Original post by haybe2k

generally yes you should do
Reply 133
Original post by Heardmanator

yeah, thought id re-post this so you get peace at mind :wink:

This is above GCSE but just to show the proof and analysis...
Didn't sit this paper but velocity=displacement/time so the gradient of the graph is acceleration if you put it in the form of y=mx then
V=velocity(m/s) S=displacement(m/s^2) t=time(s) *-means multiply
y=mx+c
Velcoity=Displacement/Time+0 (+0 as it goes through origin)
V=s/t

Bit of calculus: dV/dt (change in velocity over time which is the gradient(accleration))= -s/t^2 (units of -s/t^2, which the units are m/s^2, oh wait meter per second sqaured is accleration so this proves accleration is the gradient)

Vt=s
Velocity*Time= Displacement which is the area under a velocity time graph as your doing y*x ======proof velocity(m/s)*time(s)= m/s * s = meters
Did anyone get 6.25 as an answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was it gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy or kinetic energy to gravitational potential energy for the rollercoaster questions (from C - D)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by legend.786
Did anyone get 6.25 as an answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's on the unofficial mark scheme. U can check it says 6.25

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brief overview of the first 6 marker:

- voltage is directly proportional to current up to a point then it is proportional (quote figures)
- as voltage increase current increases
- current carries charge which are electrons, electrons colliding with the ions in the lattice increasing temp
- as temp increases the resistance increases as a variable resistor is used
- heating effect from the kinetic energy of particles causes resistance as circuit shouldn't overhead as it will melt
- causes a decrease in voltage which decreases current as voltage is the electrical pressure giving a measure to energy transferred (current)
- energy is dissipated through components as charge which is why potential difference increases
- then levels off because of the increased heating effect
- (quoting figures throughout but can't remember them)

thats all i can remember writing i hope this helps
Original post by chrlhyms
Brief overview of the first 6 marker:

- voltage is directly proportional to current up to a point then it is proportional (quote figures)
- as voltage increase current increases
- current carries charge which are electrons, electrons colliding with the ions in the lattice increasing temp
- as temp increases the resistance increases as a variable resistor is used
- heating effect from the kinetic energy of particles causes resistance as circuit shouldn't overhead as it will melt
- causes a decrease in voltage which decreases current as voltage is the electrical pressure giving a measure to energy transferred (current)
- energy is dissipated through components as charge which is why potential difference increases
- then levels off because of the increased heating effect
- (quoting figures throughout but can't remember them)

thats all i can remember writing i hope this helps

I wrote that when the voltage increases, the current increases. Then said at 0-5 volts the current increases quicker than when it's 5-10 volts suggesting that the resistance has increased at that point. In order to get the same current you would need to decrease the resistance or increase the voltage. I added some other things but this was basically what I wrote. How many marks out of 6 do u think I got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I wrote that when the voltage increases, the current increases. Then said at 0-5 volts the current increases quicker than when it's 5-10 volts suggesting that the resistance has increased at that point. In order to get the same current you would need to decrease the resistance or increase the voltage. I added some other things but this was basically what I wrote. How many marks out of 6 do u think I got?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you probably could only get 5-6 if you said why it increased or decreased so colliding with ions energy dissipating variable resistor not fixed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending