The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

It's strange - at the time my answers seemed coherent but I have a feeling the marker will look at my paper and just see demonic scribblings of insanity and panic.
Original post by jneill
The safest, and indeed required, thing is no comments at all. Otherwise this thread will be temporarily closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am still confused - why does mentioning that I personally struggled with STEP compromise the integrity of the exam in any way? :confused: Also I may have missed something here, but is it actually stated anywhere that how you found the paper isn't to be discussed? I couldn't find anything. :frown:

The embargo has obviously expired but if you still want me to remove comments of course I will...
Reply 1842
Original post by Gwenuin
I am still confused - why does mentioning that I personally struggled with STEP compromise the integrity of the exam in any way? :confused: Also I may have missed something here, but is it actually stated anywhere that how you found the paper isn't to be discussed? I couldn't find anything. :frown:

Because it lets the other person know that the paper is difficult, so he shouldn't panic overly much if the paper isn't going well, something that you didn't know during the exam because you thought everybody else would find it easy or whatever. In any case, it's giving information to a candidate that other candidates don't have. That's not going to cut it.

Then again, if you want to damage your own chances, so be it...

The embargo has obviously expired but if you still want me to remove comments of course I will...

The damage has been done, there's obviously no point in removing it now, but remember for future papers.
Original post by 16Characters....
Never mind mate, my question was extremely badly worded and a bit pointless anyway. I should be preparing for III lol.

Me 2 haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Because it lets the other person know that the paper is difficult, so he shouldn't panic overly much if the paper isn't going well, something that you didn't know during the exam because you thought everybody else would find it easy or whatever.

I sort of assumed it was taken for granted that STEP would be challenging, but having done many past papers it's clear the difficulty fluctuates an awful lot, so I suppose seeing other stressed about STEP would likely calm your nerves slightly (unfairly) before entering the exam - hopefully this didn't happen :eek: but your point is fair enough.
Can anyone tell me how much I would probably get and the grade?

3) Full
7) Full
12) Full
5) Couldn't do (iii)
4) Couldn't find the corresponding values of x and θ

Cheers
Reply 1846
Was I the only one not allowed to use a pencil?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by to4ka

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used pencil if thats what you mean. Although its says to use pen on the answer booklet, on the ATS site directly under the step section it does say hard pencil is fine.
Original post by to4ka

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, even i wasn't allowed to. If fact they didn't even let me use a fountain pen. I was forced to use a ball-point pen
Original post by krishdesai7
Nope, even i wasn't allowed to. If fact they didn't even let me use a fountain pen. I was forced to use a ball-point pen

Although I always use pen, I have to say that writing in pencil is way better, it's so easy to correct things/trial different ideas and you don't get a massive mess of scribbles all over your work unlike with pen.
Folks, how does STEP I compare with AEA.

Specifically, a requirement to achieve 2 in STEP I vs Merit in AEA - which is "easier"...?
Reply 1851
Original post by jneill

Specifically, a requirement to achieve 2 in STEP I vs Merit in AEA - which is "easier"...?

For sure a distinction in AEA is easier than a 1 in STEP I, not so sure about a merit in AEA v/s a 2 in STEP I - but I'd hazard it's still easier.
Original post by jneill

Merit in AEA is probably easier
(Warwick consider distinction in AEA equivalent to a 2 in any STEP, they probably know better than me)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Merit in AEA is probably easier
(Warwick consider distinction in AEA equivalent to a 2 in any STEP, they probably know better than me)

Cool.

Bath have the "2 in any STEP or Merit in AEA requirement"...
Original post by jneill
Cool.

Bath have the "2 in any STEP or Merit in AEA requirement"...

Probably no harm in doing both, I didn't bother with AEA but the papers are pretty fun
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Probably no harm in doing both, I didn't bother with AEA but the papers are pretty fun

That might be a plan...
Original post by jneill

Merit in AEA.
Original post by jneill
That might be a plan...

Yeah A distinction in AEA is much easier than a 2 in STEP I. Id say AEA is more comparable to the MAT than STEP.
Original post by EnglishMuon
Yeah A distinction in AEA is much easier than a 2 in STEP I. Id say AEA is more comparable to the MAT than STEP.

Distinction, or Merit? My comparison was 2 in STEP vs Merit in AEA :wink:
Original post by EnglishMuon

I would say MAT is certainly harder than AEA (at least in my opinion), I messed up my MAT so bad that I didn't ask for my mark but Imperial still accepted me lol.

Quick Reply