The Student Room Group

WJEC C3/C4 8th/17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
I don't think this is likely. While it was hard, I don't think the boundaries will be lower than last year, and could even be a bit higher. 30/75 for 90 UMS would be a huge difference of 25 marks from last year (55/75 got you 90 UMS last year). And I say this as someone who is very much hoping for lower boundaries.

Don't worry, you'll probaby get follow through marks for the second part. :smile:

It's always best to check your answer where possible by putting in a given x value into each side of the expression to see if they equal each other.

No it's not likely but they did do it on a chemistry paper where the highest mark was 44 out of 80 and going by little respond on here i'd say a lot of people have done badly.
Original post by Chemistry Master
No it's not likely but they did do it on a chemistry paper where the highest mark was 44 out of 80 and going by little respond on here i'd say a lot of people have done badly.

Which chemistry paper was this?
Well sorry but they did on a CH4 exam where 30! out of 80 was an A and chemistry is harder than mathematics as well as a higher UMS of 120. That is how badly it was done.
The grade boundaries are based on the median of pupils grades in the exams in other words x bar.

I've just looked and the lowest CH4 mark I can find for an A is 56/80 on their website. I understand that the boundaries drop if the paper is hard; performance on this year's paper will most likely be similar to last years. I really cannot see them making 30/75 marks 90ums, as nice as it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think assuming people have done badly by looking at this student room forum is a bad method. It's not a good estimate, as I believe people who have done worse are more likely to come to forums like this, and the ones most likey to post are people who felt they did badly and want to figure out where they went wrong. I think the grade boundaries will be pretty similar to the 2013 paper personally.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is anyone else sitting M1 on Tuesday? Is there a thread for it already? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 98matt
Is anyone else sitting M1 on Tuesday? Is there a thread for it already? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am lol. Find it way less easier than C3 and C4 though XD.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Yeah I am lol. Find it way less easier than C3 and C4 though XD.

Are you doing M2 as well? :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman
Are you doing M2 as well? :tongue:

Yep :smile:. That and FP2 and STEP III left after M1 (maths-wise).
Original post by 98matt
I've just looked and the lowest CH4 mark I can find for an A is 56/80 on their website. I understand that the boundaries drop if the paper is hard; performance on this year's paper will most likely be similar to last years. I really cannot see them making 30/75 marks 90ums, as nice as it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't remember the paper pretty sure it was a january one. But it was definitely an A for 30 out of 80 since the highest mark was 45. It was at the bottom of a page of a 1/4 of the exam.I'd look but I don't have time still have exams.
I can't remember the paper pretty sure it was a january one. But it was definitely an A for 30 out of 80 since the highest mark was 45. It was at the bottom of a page of a 1/4 of the exam.I'd look but I don't have time still have exams.

But were these boundaries actually published on the WJEC's website? If so, we can narrow it down to 2011 - 2015, since the publicly available boundaries only go back as far as 2011.

Anyway, while I would like this paper to have last year's boundaries (or lower), I don't think 30/75 is going to be an A boundary this year, even if your claim about the chemistry paper is true.

@DragonRider17, you sticking with your prediction that C3 boundaries will be lower than last year's? :holmes:
Original post by DragonRider17
I think assuming people have done badly by looking at this student room forum is a bad method. It's not a good estimate, as I believe people who have done worse are more likely to come to forums like this, and the ones most likey to post are people who felt they did badly and want to figure out where they went wrong. I think the grade boundaries will be pretty similar to the 2013 paper personally.

Well yh but the same could be said about assuming people have come on here because they feel they did badly. Besides what alternative is there besides waiting.
Original post by Hydeman
Which chemistry paper was this?

I'll have to find it but I don't have time since I have exams. I'll find it when they're over. If you want to look i'm pretty sure i's a january paper look for just above the page number it will have something like A 30 B 25 C 18 etc
and an "X" but with a horizontal line above the X. Just like lamina in mechanics 1.
I'll have to find it but I don't have time since I have exams. I'll find it when they're over. If you want to look i'm pretty sure i's a january paper look for just above the page number it will have something like A 30 B 25 C 18 etc
and an "X" but with a horizontal line above the X. Just like lamina in mechanics 1.

Was this the website you saw this on?

If so, I just checked all the January chemistry papers whose boundaries are available and the lowest one of them was 52/80 for an A.

For the record, it's not like I want you to be wrong - I'd very much like the boundaries to be what you say they are, but I just don't think this is realistic. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Was this the website you saw this on?

If so, I just checked all the January chemistry papers whose boundaries are available and the lowest one of them was 52/80 for an A.

For the record, it's not like I want you to be wrong - I'd very much like the boundaries to be what you say they are, but I just don't think this is realistic. :tongue:

No it was on an actual paper i'm not sure if mark scheme or paper. I wouldn't go by those grade boundaries they're biased. Grade boundaries are chosen based on the X bar mark and they decide on how lenient to be so you get bonus marks most of the time especially last year. To fit around complex rules etc etc it's just all ******** most people think that the students fit around the grade boundaries but in reality it is the grade boundaries that fit around the students. In other words it's not the case that say for chemistry 80% of 80 marks is an A it is 80% of the the range of results every students get and the average is basically what they base a C grade on. And they use formulas for the other grades.
I wouldn't go by those grade boundaries they're biased.

You do realise this is the official website for WJEC boundaries, right? :erm: If they were 'biased' or in any way deliberately incorrect, it would mean trouble for the exam board.
Original post by Hydeman
You do realise this is the official website for WJEC boundaries, right? :erm: If they were 'biased' or in any way deliberately incorrect, it would mean trouble for the exam board.

Okay he's having a laugh now. We all know it's not gonna be 30/75 for 80ums
Original post by 98matt
Okay he's having a laugh now. We all know it's not gonna be 30/75 for 80ums

I think the original claim was that it would be 30/75 for 90 UMS. :colondollar:

While I would love for that to be true, I don't think that's possible. Plus, I remember reading somewhere that it's a lot more arbitrary/less methodical than looking for x bar or whatever - apparently it's more like a bunch of examiners sitting down and deciding how many marks for such and such boundary seem reasonable.
Does anyone have a copy of the C3 paper that they could post on here?
Original post by salman_khan1995

Banter
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by salman_khan1995

Really sorry for this the reply messed up. The other papers are
C4 specimen and the C4 last friday

Just reply if you want the welsh mark schemes

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsVm_0R-rb5VgwM6-NnClh9lNJ8c
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending