The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get a decent salary job without a degree?

Hello,

So, I was wandering is it possible to get a decent job with £23-25k over time in a job field without a degree? I'm just exploring my options here, this should mean no indication that I want to drop out of uni etc.

For instance community management in the gaming industry. I definitely would like to pursue something like that if something goes wrong in my degree.

so I'm a second year Law student and unfortunately due to mitigating circumstances I cant sit my exams n the referral and deferral period and have to take them next year.
Absolutely. At least if you believe in the from-dish-washer-to-millionaire idea. I would however imagine that it is easier to get a decent job with a degree. However, it seems you're already 2 years into your law degree I would strongly suggest to stick to that, regardless of how much you might hate it.

It comes down to one thing, and one thing only. (regardless of degree or no-degree!). Do you want to be the best at what you're doing? Are you willing to do what it takes?

some people will always have it harder than others. That's nature and society, no matter what whiney regressives are trying to tell you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes

Once upon a time before Blair pushed everyone into University, many many millions managed to get employment without degress, with great salaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by DarkChaoz95
Hello,

So, I was wandering is it possible to get a decent job with £23-25k over time in a job field without a degree? I'm just exploring my options here, this should mean no indication that I want to drop out of uni etc.

For instance community management in the gaming industry. I definitely would like to pursue something like that if something goes wrong in my degree.

so I'm a second year Law student and unfortunately due to mitigating circumstances I cant sit my exams n the referral and deferral period and have to take them next year.

Lol good luck. I'm going to be straight and realistic with you. It might be possible but chances are slim especially in niche industries like your back up plan.

Employers perspective:

1.) other candidates would've had degrees with same level of experience as you.
2.) college drop outs may be better suited since they've got more experience than you and probably same type of qualifications and may have done industry specific apprenticeships while you were at uni
3.)globalisation = more highly skilled, cheaper and highly educated foreign competitors.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes!

People used to start at the bottom and work their way up. It takes a longer amount of time but you gain the experience within the job rather than getting a degree and being thrown in at the top. It just takes determination. You have to be willing to start at the bottom and earn a crap salary for a few years before you get promoted! I started at the bottom on £7,500 at 17 and in January I'm being promoted and will earn £19,000. Just takes hard work.
Original post by Themini
Lol good luck. I'm going to be straight and realistic with you. It might be possible but chances are slim.

1.) other candidates would've had degrees with same level of experience as you.
2.) college drop outs may be better suited since they've got more experience than you and probably same type of qualifications and may have done industry specificapprenticeships
3.)globalisation = more highly skilled, cheaper and highly educated foreign competitors.

Thanks for the advice,

I see, well in respect to community management, I have some experience in that respect, I currently manage/founded a game fan news feed which I hopefully wish to expand to a fan website from the ground up in the future.

I know PHP / MySQL to build the site from the ground up.

I just cannot commit enough time because of my studies to really pursue expanding this in my spare time.

So chances for a decent salary job is virtually impossible?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice,

I see, well in respect to community management, I have some experience in that respect, I currently manage/founded a game fan news feed which I hopefully wish to expand to a fan website from the ground up in the future.

I know PHP / MySQL to build the site from the ground up.

I just cannot commit enough time because of my studies to really pursue expanding this in my spare time.

So chances for a decent salary job is slim then?

That may play in your favour but i'd honestly recommend that you don't consider dropping out as a viable contingency plan.

I'm the equivalent of a 4th year at A levels because I know university is the only way. You go to any organisation and you see people who had done the alternatives stuck at the same crappy 20k-21k job for 5-10 years then mid 20s to early 30s for 10-15 years. To be a manager these days a degree is a core requirement especially in MNCS.

You see the young grads at the grad schemes on far higher entry salaries and are they're far more likely to be promoted over someone without a degree. My entry graduate salary for Business and finance is 25k and in London its touching 30k.

However doing a Btec then a apprenticeship my best case scenario is hoping for 17k-19k..then sticking at low 20s for 10 years or so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Galaxie501
Absolutely. At least if you believe in the from-dish-washer-to-millionaire idea. I would however imagine that it is easier to get a decent job with a degree. However, it seems you're already 2 years into your law degree I would strongly suggest to stick to that, regardless of how much you might hate it.

It comes down to one thing, and one thing only. (regardless of degree or no-degree!). Do you want to be the best at what you're doing? Are you willing to do what it takes?

some people will always have it harder than others. That's nature and society, no matter what whiney regressives are trying to tell you.

Yeah, thats what I'm going to do, unfortunately because of my circumstances I cant do my exams now and Im disappointed because of that since my friends are all moving on and Im left behind. I'm going to give it my best shot next year especially since I wont get funding for a second repeat.

Original post by SMEGGGY
Yes

Once upon a time before Blair pushed everyone into University, many many millions managed to get employment without degress, with great salaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

really? Didnt know that.

Original post by amingo26
Yes!

People used to start at the bottom and work their way up. It takes a longer amount of time but you gain the experience within the job rather than getting a degree and being thrown in at the top. It just takes determination. You have to be willing to start at the bottom and earn a crap salary for a few years before you get promoted! I started at the bottom on £7,500 at 17 and in January I'm being promoted and will earn £19,000. Just takes hard work.

I would do that tbh, its just the pressure from family to do good at uni, they just arent understanding my situation at all.
Original post by Themini
That may play in your favour but i'd honestly recommend that you don't consider dropping out as a viable contingency plan.

I'm the equivalent of a 4th year at A levels because I know university is the only way. You go to any organisation and you see people who had done the alternatives stuck at the same crappy 20k-21k job for 5-10 years then mid 20s to early 30s for 10-15 years. To be a manager these days a degree is a core requirement especially in MNCS.

You see the young grads at the grad schemes on far higher entry salaries and are they're far more likely to be promoted over someone without a degree. My entry graduate salary for Business and finance is 25k and in London its touching 30k.

However doing a Btec then a apprenticeship my best case scenario is hoping for 17k-19k..then sticking at low 20s for 10 years or so.

well I plan not to drop out unless my circumstances is too great (more than it is now), if I fail my exams next year I wont have extra funding from SFE, so then I will have no choice but to.
Reply 9
well I plan not to drop out unless my circumstances is too great (more than it is now), if I fail my exams next year I wont have extra funding from SFE, so then I will have no choice but to.

I do feel for you. I know you're trying hard to not fail but please make sure you don't because the alternative really isn't an alternative.

Think about it this way, if you drop out and start from the bottom would you like the type of idiots who dropped out of schools with no GCSES to be your boss and boss you around?

That should be motivational enough for putting 110% into exams for next year:wink:

Good luck!
Yes of course, but you would need to be proactive rather than just being good at your job and reliable while you wait for promotion. I'm sure lots of successful people who went to university would have done well without going, but you go to school from 5 to 18, you work 50+ years of your adult life, 3 years of fun and self-exploration isn't unreasonable to ask for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
I do feel for you. I know you're trying hard to not fail but please make sure you don't because the alternative really isn't an alternative.

Think about it this way, if you drop out and start from the bottom would you like the type of idiots who dropped out of schools with no GCSES to be your boss and boss you around?

That should be motivational enough for putting 110% into exams for next year:wink:

Good luck!

Thanks!

definitely, tbh I've lost motivation and enjoyment this year I've tried to study as much as possible and attended lectures (though not all) and now its taken its toll and Im in this situation now. My family doesnt understand what im going through. I'm a capable student since I got 2:1 in my first year but this year has been a big wreck.

I definitely plan to tackle these issues & get support before uni starts again because the stakes are never higher!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Hello,

Here's a CM role at Sony (it's for a French CM but I imagine the requirements would be similar for an English CM) - no mention of a degree...
https://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/vacancy/1352-French-Community-Manager

Here's a social media role at Uber (yeah I know it's not gaming but anywho...) no mention of a degree
https://careers-uber.icims.com/jobs/21185/job?iis=job-V002A-ope&iisn=Indeed&rx_campaign=indeed0&rx_group=100206&rx_job=21185&rx_source=Indeed&mobile=false&width=949&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=0&jun1offset=60

Of course, most applicants to these roles *will* have a degree, but often it isn't *required*. And these are manager-level roles, the requirements may be easier for assistant-level. And then you build up your experience and work up through the ranks. Manager level roles at these employers will be paying (guessing) £30-£40k+. In the world of digital, good people get promoted pretty quickly.

Employers are always looking for good people, and the degree is just a simple/quick/(lazy) way to filter applicants. IF you have compensating skills/experience/passion then there's every chance you can get an interview, and after that the degree isn't so important at all...

BUT if you are already partway through a degree I'd advise you just to take a little while to consider the options properly and do more research on the job market. And perhaps consider completing the degree if possible...
(edited 7 years ago)

You're already 2 years into Uni, so you'll survive the 3rd one aswell. If you somehow fail the exams, which I doubt, then thats another story. That still wouldnt be the end of the world though.
Original post by Galaxie501
You're already 2 years into Uni, so you'll survive the 3rd one aswell. If you somehow fail the exams, which I doubt, then thats another story. That still wouldnt be the end of the world though.

I'll still be in second year by the way its just my exams will be deferred to Next May. I need to pass 3/4 modules to get into third year. Which I can't right now because of my situation.
I'll still be in second year by the way its just my exams will be deferred to Next May. I need to pass 3/4 modules to get into third year. Which I can't right now because of my situation.

Just curious, what is that "situation"?

Dont aswere if you dont want to, and certainly dont go into details.
Yes, It is possible to get job without degree.In order to get job you should have good knowledge and skills so you can able to crack the interview.

Quick Reply