The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DDan123
Just have a guy feeling the vectors question next week will be tricky :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, Have a feeling Edexcel will give a nasty vectors question this time on.
Off to smack them 2.5 hrs bad boys. How long do they take you to complete?
Original post by Zacken
There's a problem if you think that dividing both sides by KY gives you 0...

if you have: dy/dx = ky

then this can be the same thing as integral of 1/(ky) dy = integral of 1 dx.

Would it be wrong if i seperate the variables as 1/y dy = k dx [Assuming k is a constant]

I think I'd get a different value of +C, but the final answer should be the same isn't it? Would this be accepted?
Original post by SaadKaleem
Would it be wrong if i seperate the variables as 1/y dy = k dx [Assuming k is a constant]

I think I'd get a different value of +C, but the final answer should be the same isn't it? Would this be accepted?

That's exactly what I was talking about lol. You'll get a different C but same answer. And one of the routes will be more complicated than the other depending on the question. So there's a 50/50 chance that you'd choose the easier during the real exam and finish the question quicker. It's insanely annoying
Original post by SaadKaleem

Yes, it would be accepted. It doesn't make a difference.
Original post by lucabrasi98
That's exactly what I was talking about lol. You'll get a different C but same answer. And one of the routes will be more complicated than the other depending on the question. So there's a 50/50 chance that you'd choose the easier during the real exam and finish the question quicker. It's insanely annoying

I've done many questions regarding DE's. I did notice this thing however, it never really was an issue to me, as I always seemed to get the correct answer (provided your working is correct.)

Original post by Zacken
Yes, it would be accepted. It doesn't make a difference.

Thanks!
Ugh! My bad. I got what to do. Thanks!
I always get confused with this but what is the answer to integrating sin^2x ?
Original post by Marccs
I always get confused with this but what is the answer to integrating sin^2x ?

Express it in terms of Cos2x
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Express it in terms of Cos2x

Would the answer be x/2 +sint2x/4 ?
Original post by Marccs
Would the answer be x/2 +sint2x/4 ?

Think that's the integral of cos^2x
Remember cos2x = 1 - 2sin^2x
Think that's the integral of cos^2x
Remember cos2x = 1 - 2sin^2x

What would the answer be ?
Original post by Marccs

Are you looking for the answer or how to work it out?
Original post by Marccs

Almost identical. Just -1/4 sin2x instead of +.
Almost identical. Just -1/4 sin2x instead of +.

Thank You
What are your guys thoughts on the difficulties of the C34 paper compared with the standard C4/C3 papers - I dunno if it's just because they're all I've been doing lately and I've just got a bit better, but I just got 2 in a row 200/200 UMS on the C34 (Summer 14 & 15) - as far as I can remember, I have never got a C4 paper actually to 100 (think my PB is 99) and I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience? (doing slightly better on IAL than normal AL)
I am thinking it might have something to do with there being a lot of leeway to drop marks and still get 100% UMS on the IAL papers, e.g. I dropped 10 and 12 marks out of 125, so must've been right right at the bottom end of 200 UMS whereas in a real C4 paper 1 small arithmetic error/failure to understand the question can f*ck ur perfect UMS. I reckon it's actually a little bit easier to get full UMS on IAL than normal AL for the core
M2 IAL is definitely harder than AL tho imo
Would be interested to hear what other people think
Original post by k.russell
What are your guys thoughts on the difficulties of the C34 paper compared with the standard C4/C3 papers - I dunno if it's just because they're all I've been doing lately and I've just got a bit better, but I just got 2 in a row 200/200 UMS on the C34 (Summer 14 & 15) - as far as I can remember, I have never got a C4 paper actually to 100 (think my PB is 99) and I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience? (doing slightly better on IAL than normal AL)
I am thinking it might have something to do with there being a lot of leeway to drop marks and still get 100% UMS on the IAL papers, e.g. I dropped 10 and 12 marks out of 125, so must've been right right at the bottom end of 200 UMS whereas in a real C4 paper 1 small arithmetic error/failure to understand the question can f*ck ur perfect UMS. I reckon it's actually a little bit easier to get full UMS on IAL than normal AL for the core
M2 IAL is definitely harder than AL tho imo
Would be interested to hear what other people think

Not always true, in the IAL exam I sat (for real), I got 124/125 and got 198 UMS. i.e: I dropped one mark off 125 marks and lost two UMS, whereas in a normal A-Level paper you drop 1 mark out of 75 (better than 1 out of 125) and lose 1 UMS.
Original post by Zacken
Not always true, in the IAL exam I sat (for real), I got 124/125 and got 198 UMS. i.e: I dropped one mark off 125 marks and lost two UMS, whereas in a normal A-Level paper you drop 1 mark out of 75 (better than 1 out of 125) and lose 1 UMS.

Wow was that 2016 January? I saw that had crazy high UMS boundaries - still I would be over the moon if I can get a 98% UMS average in my core congratulations - did you do international M2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending