The Student Room Group

Edexcel D1 - 17th June, 2016 [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

When drawing the activity network as long as I got all the dummies right and the arcs were connecting to the right nodes does it matter if they were curved and overlap?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1241
Original post by iMacJack
You're joking, right? Last years was 59 and that was a joke of a paper lol

I learnt the whole course from scratch for 4 days before the exam, so maybe my judgement on difficulty is wrong. I do hope you're right though, what would you predict the boundary as?
Reply 1242
Original post by thebobby
When drawing the activity network as long as I got all the dummies right and the arcs were connecting to the right nodes does it matter if they were curved and overlap?

nope
Original post by Yua
I learnt the whole course from scratch for 4 days before the exam, so maybe my judgement on difficulty is wrong. I do hope you're right though, what would you predict the boundary as?

55 for an A - many, many, many people struggled and found it very very tough compared to previous years, and a lot of people didn't finish, hence the examiners will realise this and the boundaries will be lowered. It was 59 for an A last June and that was a very easy paper (take a look at it yourself)
55 for an A - many, many, many people struggled and found it very very tough compared to previous years, and a lot of people didn't finish, hence the examiners will realise this and the boundaries will be lowered. It was 59 for an A last June and that was a very easy paper (take a look at it yourself)

Yeah I agree. However, 55 does seem a tad too low for an A. I'd say around 57 will be 80 UMS
Reply 1245

55? I'm aware that my knowledge in D1 isn't up to par, but that is far too low. I refuse to believe I managed around 90ums with 4 days of work
For the algorithm question which of 122 and 0.5 should be X, I said 122 because it is an integer value, would this gain any of the marks? @Student403 @NotNotBatman

Categorically no. You ought to infer the fact of .5 never equalling 0 as it will tend to negatives, which was the goal of the flow chart: to get X = 0
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yua
55? I'm aware that my knowledge in D1 isn't up to par, but that is far too low. I refuse to believe I managed around 90ums with 4 days of work

Mate why are you arguing? The lower the better right?
Original post by Yua

Believe what you want - D1 in June 03 was 47/75 for an A.
Reply 1249
Original post by Pablo Picasso

Not arguing, just trying to understand the logic because I'm not too in the know with D1. What would you predict the boundary as?

Well it's better to be realistic than have false hope. All I know is that they're not going up. I don't know how they expected us to finish that in time lol. I only barely managed to do what I could and that's because I left the scheduling question blank (it's not even worth the effort for 3 marks)
(edited 7 years ago)
Categorically no. You ought to infer the fact of .5 never equalling 0 as it will tend to negatives, which was the goal of the flow chart: to get X = 0

it won't tend to negatives because you'll never get to the point where it gets to x = x-1, you'll be stuck in a loop of x/2, which is inferred by the necessity of an integer value for X
Original post by Yua
nope

https://gyazo.com/e928a3021765974ef7effaf5f34bcdeb

46 for an A (June 03) and a lot in the low fifties.
Vote in the poll on how you found the exam:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4171580
Original post by Yua
Not arguing, just trying to understand the logic because I'm not too in the know with D1. What would you predict the boundary as?

58. Didn't do the best in it myself cause of the time, not sure if this is common with all D1 papers.
https://gyazo.com/e928a3021765974ef7effaf5f34bcdeb

46 for an A (June 03) and a lot in the low fifties.

Yeah thats very true but if you notice when they changed the spec (2009) boundaries started to range from 59-67
Original post by hellomynameisr
Yeah thats very true but if you notice when they changed the spec (2009) boundaries started to range from 59-67

That's true - however in the past there has never been a D1 paper as long winded and time consuming (and error prone) as this one. At least not in the latest specification.
it won't tend to negatives because you'll never get to the point where it gets to x = x-1, you'll be stuck in a loop of x/2, which is inferred by the necessity of an integer value for X

If you inserted .5, then it isn't odd, nor = 0 either, so it'll -1 everytime (?)
That's true - however in the past there has never been a D1 paper as long winded and time consuming (and error prone) as this one. At least not in the latest specification.

Yeah exactly. I hope you're right with the boundary then lol
image.jpeg
Original post by hellomynameisr

Random Q, but could you rememebr the first dummy we had to draw on the 2nd Q
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending