The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Biology Unit 5 (WBI05) Scientific Article Discussion - June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aimen.
Guys I'll be sending the biosolutions thing @Annaaix_ sent to anyone who asks (whoever you are).
Pm me your email id. :u:

could you please send it to me too :smile:
Original post by cheyma25
could you please send it to me too :smile:

could you send this to me too please. email
Original post by .JC.
Just write NAD.

For your first question you don't need to know why they increase. It may be due to treatment, or anything, but the question only asks you about the first 6 weeks so ignore it. It could just be an error on edexcel's part.

Thanks.
But I don't understand what 6 weeks ??
My wuestion is how a transcription factor affects gene expression gnerally And what binds to promotor region secondary messanger or transcription factor itself so please explain how transcription factor works according to markscheme points .
Thanks in advance😄
I was really happy with my paper. Looks like boundaries are gonna be high this year, questions were really simple.
Reply 424
Original post by uptownfunk
I was really happy with my paper. Looks like boundaries are gonna be high this year, questions were really simple.

How did you even have unit 5 paper already?:s-smilie:
Original post by Aimen.
Guys I'll be sending the biosolutions thing @Annaaix_ sent to anyone who asks (whoever you are).

Hey can i please get the biosolutions thing! thank you
Reply 426
Original post by coollike
Hey can i please get the biosolutions thing! thank you

Sure. But you need to gimme your email id
Reply 427
Original post by Abdelrahman 1998
Thanks.
But I don't understand what 6 weeks ??
My wuestion is how a transcription factor affects gene expression gnerally And what binds to promotor region secondary messanger or transcription factor itself so please explain how transcription factor works according to markscheme points .
Thanks in advance😄

I'm sorry I totally forgot to reply you about transcription factors. Anyway here it goes:
Anabolic steroids can pass directly through cell membranes and be carried into the nucleus bound to a receptor molecule. These hormone-receptor comlexes act as Transcription factors. They bind to promoter region on a gene allowing RNA Polymerase to start transcription. As a result more protein synthesis takes place in the cells for eg. testosterone increases protein synthesis in muscle cells, increasing the size and strength of muscle tissue.
Hopes this helps :colondollar:
Original post by Aimen.
How did you even have unit 5 paper already?:s-smilie:

Exactly what I'm wondering myself o.O
Original post by Aimen.
I'm sorry I totally forgot to reply you about transcription factors. Anyway here it goes:
Anabolic steroids can pass directly through cell membranes and be carried into the nucleus bound to a receptor molecule. These hormone-receptor comlexes act as Transcription factors. They bind to promoter region on a gene allowing RNA Polymerase to start transcription. As a result more protein synthesis takes place in the cells for eg. testosterone increases protein synthesis in muscle cells, increasing the size and strength of muscle tissue.
Hopes this helps :colondollar:

But the markscheme always refers for transcription initiation complex I searched the internet and I unferstood that transcription factor binds to a mediator protein complex carrying RNA polymerase this forms transcription initiation complex which allow RNA polymerase to bind to promotor region and swith gene on so is this correct and how peptide hormone differs in action from steroid hormone?
Hey can you please send it to me too?
thank you so much!!!
Original post by Aimen.

Heyy can you please send me the biosolutions thing too? thank you so much :smile:
Reply 432
Original post by Abdelrahman 1998
But the markscheme always refers for transcription initiation complex I searched the internet and I unferstood that transcription factor binds to a mediator protein complex carrying RNA polymerase this forms transcription initiation complex which allow RNA polymerase to bind to promotor region and swith gene on so is this correct and how peptide hormone differs in action from steroid hormone?

I'm not really sure if its okay :/
Anyway peptide hormone cannot really enter the cell so it binds to receptors on the cell membrane and initiates a cascade of activity leading to activation of a transcription factor within the nucleus.
Reply 433
Can someone please help me with these li'l questions?
Puhleeeez :colondollar:
Capture 2.PNG
What are those? xD
Attachment not found

In this second thing I thought it'd be B cuz fast twitch:slow twitch should be 6:18 and hence 1:3 but markscheme says 3:1
(the lighter ones are fast twitch and darker ones slow twitch)
lastly
Attachment not found

They asked for ans. in dm^3min^-1 but stroke volume is in cm3min^-1 so, it should be 4.608x10^-6 but ms says 4608 (cardiac output=stroke volumexheart rate at rest)
Original post by Aimen.
Can someone please help me with these li'l questions?
Puhleeeez :colondollar:
Capture 2.PNG
What are those? xD
Attachment not found

In this second thing I thought it'd be B cuz fast twitch:slow twitch should be 6:18 and hence 1:3 but markscheme says 3:1
(the lighter ones are fast twitch and darker ones slow twitch)
lastly
Attachment not found

They asked for ans. in dm^3min^-1 but stroke volume is in cm3min^-1 so, it should be 4.608x10^-6 but ms says 4608 (cardiac output=stroke volumexheart rate at rest)

Hey there,
1.)Myofibrils consists of many sarcomers and many myofibrils build up a muscle fiber , so I guess answer is A
2.)question said RATIO OF FAST TWITCH TO SLOW TWITCH so 18:6
3.)cm3 to dm3 you x1000
hope that helps
btw whats biosolutions all about? Is there for IAL?
Hey man,
1.)It's A, cause a myofibril is made up of any sarcomers and he showed you a section of a myofibril
2.) he said ratio of FAST TWITCH to SLOW TWITCH so 18;6, read slowly next time xD
3.)In conversion of cm3 to dm3 you x1000 not divide by 1000
hope this helps!
btw what is biosolutions? Is their for IAL?
Please someone tell me do I say down CONCENTRATION or ELECTROCHEMICAL gradient when sodium ions enter neurone during depolarisation and when potassium leave it during repolarisation and during chemiosmosis((hydrogen ions)?
Thanks in advance
Reply 437
Original post by Faris Jamal
Hey there,
1.)Myofibrils consists of many sarcomers and many myofibrils build up a muscle fiber , so I guess answer is A
2.)question said RATIO OF FAST TWITCH TO SLOW TWITCH so 18:6
3.)cm3 to dm3 you x1000
hope that helps
btw whats biosolutions all about? Is there for IAL?

umm no first question's answer was 'three myofibrils' (I wonder why)
I get the second one thanks.
Could you solve the third thing and send me if you don't mind?
Biosolutions are predicted questions and answers from the article and yea we have the IAL one only!
(edited 7 years ago)
what is the different between international advanced level and advanced level of scientific article?

how do I know which one should I read?
Reply 439
Original post by bellachoa
what is the different between international advanced level and advanced level of scientific article?

how do I know which one should I read?

You should the article of the paper you're giving as in if you're an international student do IAL but you're a home candidate do GCE. This is the thread for IAL students!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending