The Student Room Group

Why do my parents think I'm not "independent"?

They think I'm suffering from some sort of independence-related mental illness.

I read up about it on the internet but I can relate to *any* of the symptoms whatsoever.

Some of them include: not studying, not going out, relying on parents and not actively trying to find a job.

I've spent all year focused on my tuition at University, I got out as often as I can because the environment at home is toxic, I have my own income/money and I never ask my parents for money (it's usually them who offer it) and I'm a couple ofdays away from an interview for a job.

I would like to say I'm moderately to extremely independent, I spend most of the year away from home and I rarely, if not ever, rely on people for help/support.

I pay for my food, I pay for my bills, for my car's diesel, etc...

So, how on Earth can my parents think something's wrong with me.

Like I said before, the environment at home is toxic. I try and stay away from it as much as I can because it depletes my energy and I'm never happy here.

I'm extremely happy away from here, with my friends in particular.

What can I do?
Original post by Anonymous
They think I'm suffering from some sort of independence-related mental illness.

I read up about it on the internet but I can relate to *any* of the symptoms whatsoever.

Some of them include: not studying, not going out, relying on parents and not actively trying to find a job.

I've spent all year focused on my tuition at University, I got out as often as I can because the environment at home is toxic, I have my own income/money and I never ask my parents for money (it's usually them who offer it) and I'm a couple ofdays away from an interview for a job.

I would like to say I'm moderately to extremely independent, I spend most of the year away from home and I rarely, if not ever, rely on people for help/support.

I pay for my food, I pay for my bills, for my car's diesel, etc...

So, how on Earth can my parents think something's wrong with me.

Like I said before, the environment at home is toxic. I try and stay away from it as much as I can because it depletes my energy and I'm never happy here.

I'm extremely happy away from here, with my friends in particular.

What can I do?

By the sounds of it, you are very, very independent. You mentioned that your home environment is very toxic - perhaps it's them that's being weird and saying stuff that doesn't make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending