The Student Room Group

Accommodation application - Interests

Should I put down "current affairs / politics" and "different cultures / languages"?

I'm asking this because although they are some of my interests, I'd imagine "current affairs / politics" could create aggression or resentment, and I'd be living with them.

And although I'd love different languages (I'm doing a language course), what happens if I live with people with incompatible cultures?

I don't know if I'm taking unnecessary risks by putting those down. I love debates etc, but is that really appropriate with people you live with, instead of on here (TSR)? (And being bisexual, with Western values, and not against drinking alcohol etc. I'd imagine it create issue with someone e.g. from the Middle East.)(Ironic because I'm taking Arabic as one of the languages.)
(edited 7 years ago)
:bump:
Original post by XcitingStuart
:bump:

I've not come across putting interests on an accomodation application before, but I would just be very general with it, can't see anything wrong with putting current affairs, debating with your flatmates could be fine as long as you dont go too far with it.
Original post by claireestelle
I've not come across putting interests on an accomodation application before, but I would just be very general with it, can't see anything wrong with putting current affairs, debating with your flatmates could be fine as long as you dont go too far with it.

Thanks!

(Sorry for all too quickly bumping this thread (it may seem rude); it's just I have been going through my application.)
Original post by XcitingStuart
Thanks!

(Sorry for all too quickly bumping this thread (it may seem rude); it's just I have been going through my application.)

No need for the apology, i can understand wanting to get your accommodation sorted as soon as you can, one less thing to worry about then:smile:
To be honest in my experience they ignore most of your preferences/interests so I wouldn't worry... the only things that might be taken into account would be big, general categories like 'sports' where you might then end up with sporty flatmates, 95% of the placement will still be random

Quick Reply

Latest