The Student Room Group

Pride in London - 2016 - All you need to know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Axel Johann
I got Edexcel Phyiscs Unit 5 on the 28th, so I need to revise for that,it's my last exam, but weakest unit. So I won't be able to make it sorry, though I'm definitely open to next year, it will be interesting to go and see it all :h:.

Hope to see you there next year, then! :smile:

Original post by Salamandastron
No cos...

Spoiler

Hope everyone who is going enjoys themselves though :smile:

Fair enough, it's a shame but each to their own! I know many who don't. Thanks for the well-wishes.
When I move to London next year I will
I hope you have a great time
Original post by ivybridge
Hopefully I shall see you there in 2017 then! :smile:

I haven't been to Brighton Pride but I don't think that's true of London. I also don't really think that's fair - it is supposed to be a celebration and the amount of things the average, less pro-LGBT shall we say, heterosexual guy or girl would find uncomfortable is in abundance at Pride. If they weren't at all supportive, I'm not sure they'd attend. But either way, they really don't take centre-stage. I dunno.

Pride should be political. Pride should be a protest.

I have no idea what we have to celebrate.
Reply 23
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Pride should be political. Pride should be a protest.

I have no idea what we have to celebrate.

It is both of those and it is also a celebration. With all due respect, as a member of the LGBTQIA community, how can you say that? Without the progress and the lives so many put on the line before us, we wouldn't even be able to live and love in peace.
Reply 24
Original post by yoda123
When I move to London next year I will
I hope you have a great time

Awesome - thank you! :smile:
Is it gonna be safe to attend?
Reply 26
Original post by queen-bee
Is it gonna be safe to attend?

I address that in the post! :smile:
It is both of those and it is also a celebration. With all due respect, as a member of the LGBTQIA community, how can you say that? Without the progress and the lives so many put on the line before us, we wouldn't even be able to live and love in peace.

Oh sweet cis gay man. You are not the whole community.
I address that in the post! :smile:

My bad :innocent:
I wish I could go :frown:
Reply 30
Oh sweet cis gay man. You are not the whole community.

Of course not but you're being very unnecessarily bitter and so because I'm gay and cis, and white, that means I have no voice? Okay. You're standing for everything this movement is not about and the epitome of why it's so difficult to get anything done. You want it to be all or nothing. Be happy for the strides we have taken, and stand up for those things we are yet to achieve.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by ravioliyears
I wish I could go :frown:

Why can't you? :smile:
Why can't you? :smile:

Parents won't let me :lol:
Reply 33
Parents won't let me :lol:

Really...? Meh, mine won't either - as if that means I'm listening! Haha. You could just say you're going shopping in London :wink:
Really...? Meh, mine won't either - as if that means I'm listening! Haha. You could just say you're going shopping in London :wink:

I could do that but I'm a terrible liar :lol:
Reply 35
I could do that but I'm a terrible liar :lol:

Well, of course, I think you should probably only do it when you can tell the truth especially because of the risks involved this year. It's a shame but I hope you can come next year or sometime soon!
Well, of course, I think you should probably only do it when you can tell the truth especially because of the risks involved this year. It's a shame but I hope you can come next year or sometime soon!

Me too! Are you going?
Reply 37
Me too! Are you going?

I am - I'm in the parade this year :smile:
Of course not but you're being very unnecessarily bitter and so because I'm gay and cis, and white, that means I have no voice? Okay. You're standing for everything this movement is not about and the epitome of why it's so difficult to get anything done. You want it to be all or nothing. Be happy for the strides we have taken, and stand up for those things we are yet to achieve.

The LGBTQ+ movement isn't about trans rights? It's not about preventing non-consensual and unnecessary genital surgeries on intersex children? It's not about fighting against heteronormativity, cisnormativity, amatonormativity and the concept of a sex-binary? It's not about combating bi-erasure and biphobia? It's not about breaking down the concept that cis LGBQ+ people can't be transphobic; male GBTQ+ people can't be misogynist and that it's not biphobia if you're gay or a lesbian? It's not about fighting asexual-erasure, acephobia, aro-erasure and arophobia? What is it even about? Who is it even for?
Reply 39
The LGBTQ+ movement isn't about trans rights? It's not about preventing non-consensual and unnecessary genital surgeries on intersex children? It's not about fighting against heteronormativity, cisnormativity, amatonormativity and the concept of a sex-binary? It's not about combating bi-erasure and biphobia? It's not about breaking down the concept that cis LGBQ+ people can't be transphobic; male GBTQ+ people can't be misogynist and that it's not biphobia if you're gay or a lesbian? It's not about fighting asexual-erasure, acephobia, aro-erasure and arophobia? What is it even about? Who is it even for?

I'm sorry but where did I comment on any of those issues? We have made huge strides. Just because we're not 100% there yet doesn't mean there is nothing to celebrate; if we constantly cry and get angry and push, nobody will receive us. There has to be an approach that is balanced and saying there is nothing to celebrate is quite frankly, a complete discredit to those who have died for your right to be who you are, and devoted their lives to fighting for the rights we now have. We're the next generation of fighters and yes, there are issues that need significant attention and Pride aims to highlight a lot of those, but it also aims to celebrate, and that too is merited.

Quick Reply

Latest