The Student Room Group

ADVICE for UCAS

UCL, Imperial, Cambridge and Barts for Medicine.

I have poor attendance due to valid reason of not attending college. Would this affect my UCAS application? Are the listed unis above react differently to attendance? I have evidence of the absences. Also, i heard my teachers saying UCAS has changed and now the obliged to send off full report of the attendance from the previous year (AS).

Also, what if my bad attendance affected my grades? I am still waiting for my AS Year 1 results and was hoping if i could be an exception to the unis above. Is that possible? Would i just be rejected straight away based on the application/reference and not go through interview stage?
Reply 1
First of all, applying to 3 BMAT unis is a risky strategy, most people on here would recommend not going for more than 2.

As for whether your absence record will have an effect - depends on your reasons for it and what your referee makes of it. If you have been unwell and that has affected your grades, you might be eligible for extenuating circumstances, but you must check with each university whether they would consider you. If the problem is ongoing then you'd also need to show that you would satisfy their occupational health/fitness to practise guidelines.
Reply 2
Original post by funkypineapple
UCL, Imperial, Cambridge and Barts for Medicine.

I have poor attendance due to valid reason of not attending college. Would this affect my UCAS application? Are the listed unis above react differently to attendance? I have evidence of the absences. Also, i heard my teachers saying UCAS has changed and now the obliged to send off full report of the attendance from the previous year (AS).

Also, what if my bad attendance affected my grades? I am still waiting for my AS Year 1 results and was hoping if i could be an exception to the unis above. Is that possible? Would i just be rejected straight away based on the application/reference and not go through interview stage?

DO NOT APPLY TO THREE BMAT UNIS. It's way too risky. Obviously attendance isn't listed in. Entry requirements it'll probably be dealt with to the universities own discretion. Maybe phone or email the universities and explain the situation.
Original post by Helenia
First of all, applying to 3 BMAT unis is a risky strategy, most people on here would recommend not going for more than 2.

As for whether your absence record will have an effect - depends on your reasons for it and what your referee makes of it. If you have been unwell and that has affected your grades, you might be eligible for extenuating circumstances, but you must check with each university whether they would consider you. If the problem is ongoing then you'd also need to show that you would satisfy their occupational health/fitness to practise guidelines.

Original post by mliela
DO NOT APPLY TO THREE BMAT UNIS. It's way too risky. Obviously attendance isn't listed in. Entry requirements it'll probably be dealt with to the universities own discretion. Maybe phone or email the universities and explain the situation.

What do you guys mean by BMAT unis? Also, what uni do you suggest i should applying to?
Reply 4
What do you guys mean by BMAT unis? Also, what uni do you suggest i should applying to?

Universities which use the BMAT for selection, rather than the UKCAT or other factors. Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, BSMS and Leeds currently, I think. It's risky because unlike the UKCAT, you apply before sitting the exam, so have no idea how well you'll do - and if it goes badly you will have written off 3/4 of your choices.

All UK medical schools have different strengths and weaknesses, and different priorities in their selection procedures. It is up to applicants to research which style of course and uni they like, as well as where they stand the best chance based on their profile.
Reply 5

As Helena said. Some universities use BMAT in their entry requirements and others use UKCAT. The benefit of ukcat is that you do it before you apply so you use that to decide between some universities. No one here can tell you exactly where to apply to. It depends on what you want from a uni, your stats so far etc.
You need to do more research into the process. There are quite a lot of pages on this website here's the main one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Here you will see a lot of information all aspects of the process and on individual universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending