The Student Room Group

"Death to Traitors, Freedom for Britain".

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
There was no hesitation to call Omar Mateen's a terrorist, even before we has more information on his background and mental health. By the looks of it now he was indeed mentally ill but is still viewed as a terrorist because he had a clear political motive, much like Cox's murderer and unlike the man who murdered the grandma. On the other so many insisted that terrorist Anders Breivik was mentally ill even after he was declared sane in a desperate attempt not to label a White European Christian a terrorist.

We knew within hours of both attacks two things..

1) Omar Mateen had pledged allegiance to ISIS
2) We knew very quickly Mair had clearly longstanding mental health issues

People are going to assume a muslim pledging allegiance to a terrorist organisation during an attack is
doing so because of his religion and not mental health, because this is what happens time and time again across not just the ME but the west now aswell.

Both were apparent within literally a couple of hours of the incidents. If Mair is not found to not be suffering from significant mental illness, he will be condemned as a terrorist.

Next time a jihadi shouts allah ackbar and you see me type "Here we go again, the religion of peace" - If you confront me with some evidence that the person might be a few shillings short of a pound, i will absoloutely have reservations about the killers motives / mind just as i did for this white guy
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-

We also knew very quickly that Mair had shouted support for a white supremacist hate group...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
We also knew very quickly that Mair had shouted support for a white supremacist hate group...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No we didnt - We had a very dodgy third hand testimony from somebody not at the scene "Britain first" . It was very quickly dismissed by an eye witness as thousands of odious lefties and politicans (Angela Eagle) and many media rapdily deleted tweets with the claim or added the caveat may have said "Put Britain First"
(edited 7 years ago)
No we didnt - We had a very dodgy third hand testimony from somebody not at the scene "Britain first" . It was very quickly dismissed by an eye witness as thousands of odious lefties and politicans (Angela Eagle) and many media rapdily deleted tweets with the claim or added the caveat may have said "Put Britain First"

Every post of yours defending this neonazi takes an increment off your credibility, one by one.
Original post by tanyapotter
Every post of yours defending this neonazi takes an increment off your credibility, one by one.

There is no defending Mr Neonazi.. it is the objective truth.

You need to attack the content of my posts (The objective reality of what happened) not me as a person
(edited 7 years ago)

People are going to assume a muslim pledging allegiance to a terrorist organisation during an attack is
doing so because of his religion and not mental health, because this is what happens time and time again across not just the ME but the west now aswell.

Both were apparent within literally a couple of hours of the incidents. If Mair is not found to not be suffering from significant mental illness, he will be condemned as a terrorist.

Next time a jihadi shouts allah ackbar and you see me type "Here we go again, the religion of peace" - If you confront me with some evidence that the person might be a few shillings short of a pound, i will absoloutely have reservations about the killers motives / mind just as i did for this white guy

oh come on, you are literally the biggest hypocrite in the world

Omar Mateen 'pledging allegiance to ISIS' is equally as solid as what this guy did, if not less because there are photos going around showing Tommy Mair demonstrating with Britain First
Original post by Mathemagicien
You misunderstand. To stop an ideology from taking power, you teach against it, because you want the majority of people to be against it, even if it makes a minority of people believe in that ideology - because the majority of people will stop the minority of people

To entirely vanquish an ideology from the face of the earth, you remove all mentions of it, because you don't want even a minority of people believing that ideology

Racism no longer has a chance of coming to power, but we still struggle with racist extremists, so I suggest the latter option is the best

You seem to suggest that there is no such thing as originality in ideologies, just because you don't tell somebody about the ideology doesn't mean they won't know it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelstresss
oh come on, you are literally the biggest hypocrite in the world

Omar Mateen 'pledging allegiance to ISIS' is equally as solid as what this guy did, if not less because there are photos going around showing Tommy Mair demonstrating with Britain First

No, Omar Mateen pledging allegiance to ISIS was not equally as solid as the third hand reports which where swiftly contradicted by an eyewitness that he shouted "Britain first"

Why oh great betelgeuse? My small brain cannot comprehend you must be RACIST NEO NAZI... well little A level stress person who is probably a formerly banned poster...

The FBI and police scanners picked up in the moments after Mateens attack are far more reliable and privy to reality than a bloke saying a guy told him Mair shouted "Britain First!"

More importantly.. we didn't have a picture of Mair at a Britain First event in the hours after the attack.. did we?

We did have proof of his history of mental illness however

DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE
Original post by Underscore__
Why are you only counting from 9/11? The first article is a view I disagree with but I don't think it's a reluctance to call him a terrorist. The second one was written before his trial, a lot of people thought he was insane

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because that was when we started to have an unspoken criteria that had to be satisfied before labelling someone a terrorist.

On the other hand when it's a Muslim, he or she is labelled as terrorist immediately. No one debates the use of the label or waits for a trial or psychiatric report.

I already pointed out that it has been reported by various media outlets that Mateen was indeed mentally ill, does that negate the fact that he was a terrorist despite his motives?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen-was-mentally-unstable-wife-beating-h/

We knew instantly that Mair was shouting "Britain First" while stabbing a defenceless woman. If shouting "Allahu Akbar" is enough to assume a political motive then I don't see how that is not. Since then he has expressed far-right extremist views.
Original post by WBZ144
I already pointed out that it has been reported by various media outlets that Mateen was indeed mentally ill, does that negate the fact that he was a terrorist despite his motives?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen-was-mentally-unstable-wife-beating-h/

We knew instantly that Mair was shouting "Britain First" while stabbing a defenceless woman. If shouting "Allahu Akbar" is enough to assume a political motive then I don't see how that is not. Since then he has expressed far-right extremist views.

Your link does not work.. I saw ZERO mention anywhere of Mateen having a history of mental health issues in the hours following his attack.. zero

Again we didnt know, we had a dodgy testimony from a thirdhand witness which was quickly repudiated by an actual eye witness live on sky cameras who said "I didnt hear that" when questioned about it by sky news. Furthermore... we then had it may have been "PUT Britain First"

But yes, if you get something a bit more concrete than a thirdhand eyewitness rejected by an actual eye witness next time and we know the attacker shouted Britain First during the attack, its perfectly reasonable to go ahead and assume he is a terrorist supporting Britain First

Both instances have had a lack of actual video evidence at the time quickly posted onto social media which is slightly unfortunate in terms of knowing particuarly in Mairs case what the craic was
(edited 7 years ago)
No, Omar Mateen pledging allegiance to ISIS was not equally as solid as the third hand reports which where swiftly contradicted by an eyewitness that he shouted "Britain first"

Why oh great betelgeuse? My small brain cannot comprehend you must be RACIST NEO NAZI... well little A level stress person who is probably a formerly banned poster...

The FBI and police scanners picked up in the moments after Mateens attack are far more reliable and privy to reality than a bloke saying a guy told him Mair shouted "Britain First!"

More importantly.. we didn't have a picture of Mair at a Britain First event in the hours after the attack.. did we?

We did have proof of his history of mental illness however

DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE

Not sure why you're trying to patronise me, you seem very angry for no reason.

Omar Mateen pledging allegiance to ISIS is equally as solid as this man in court making that statement he made today, alongside the reports he is tied to Britain First - and its not just third hand reports, eyewitnesses and he is also in some Britain First campaign photos.

It seems you're too eager to accept what the tabloids are discussing and you want to shove him under 'mental illness', quite simply because this, right here, is proof that the extreme right pose an equal threat to 'radical Islam' or whatever nonsense you spend a good few hours of your day ranting on TSR about.
Your link does not work.. I saw ZERO mention anywhere of Mateen having a history of mental health issues in the hours following his attack.. zero

Again we didnt know, we had a dodgy testimony from a thirdhand witness which was quickly repudiated by an actual eye witness live on sky cameras who said "I didnt hear that" when questioned about it by sky news. Furthermore... we then had it may have been "PUT Britain First"

But yes, if you get something a bit more concrete than a thirdhand eyewitness rejected by an actual eye witness next time and we know the attacker shouted Britain First during the attack, its perfectly reasonable to go ahead and assume he is a terrorist supporting Britain First

Both instances have had a lack of actual video evidence at the time quickly posted onto social media which is slightly unfortunate in terms of knowing particuarly in Mairs case what the craic was

Even if you're right and Mair has no affiliation with Britain First, the fact that he has expressed far-right views since then and that a Nazi regalia was found in his home is enough to suggest a political motive.

I learned of the attack on Pulse a couple of days late so am not sure what the immediate reaction was but Mateen is still being considered a terrorist even now when we have more information on his background, so it would appear that mental instability does not exempt an individual from being labelled as terrorist if he or she satisfies the criteria.
Not sure why you're trying to patronise me, you seem very angry for no reason.

I am very angry... I have multiple extremely ignorant people lacking the nuance to understand what I am saying to say whilst calling me a neo nazi sympathiser .

Omar Mateen pledging allegiance to ISIS is equally as solid as this man in court making that statement he made today

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE HOURS AFTER THE ATTACK.. WE ARE NOW DAYS FROM THE ATTACK. WE DIDNT HAVE TODAYS INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN THE 6 HOURS OR SO AFTER THE ATTACK

MY FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD IS ME SAYING YES WE CAN BE SURE SOME FORM OF POLITICS PLAYED A ROLE IN HIS MOTIVES

If you cannot read and cannot follow a thread i am out of here
(edited 7 years ago)
I am very angry... I have multiple extremely ignorant people lacking the nuance to understand what I am saying to say whilst calling me a neo nazi sympathiser .

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE HOURS AFTER THE ATTACK.. WE ARE NOW DAYS FROM THE ATTACK. WE DIDNT HAVE TODAYS INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN THE 6 HOURS OR SO AFTER THE ATTACK

MY FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD IS ME SAYING YES WE CAN BE SURE SOME FORM OF POLITICS PLAYED A ROLE IN HIS MOTIVES

If you cannot read and cannot follow a thread i am out of here

you seriously need to calm down, stop dangerously and recklessly attacking every single person because one or two people called you a 'nazi-sympathiser', you're asking me to 'read and follow the thread' but you're attacking me for what other people said to you

I'm not sure why '6 hours after the attack' is relevant, what matters is what we have now, and its clear that Omar Mateen was just a madman who pledged allegiance to ISIS to maximise the influence of his attack, and Tommy Mair did it because he sympathises with the far right and thought this MP was a threat.
Reply 75

Mateen called 911 to pledge allegiance to ISIS, so it's undeniable.
Original post by Josb
Mateen called 911 to pledge allegiance to ISIS, so it's undeniable.

'pledging allegiance' means nothing, he could have pledged allegiance to anyone and it wouldn't have made a difference, this was just a disturbed man taking out his anger against this nightclub and he could live with himself by justifying it using extremist Islam
Reply 77
'pledging allegiance' means nothing, he could have pledged allegiance to anyone and it wouldn't have made a difference, this was just a disturbed man taking out his anger against this nightclub and he could live with himself by justifying it using extremist Islam

Ridiculous.
Original post by Josb
Ridiculous.

How exactly is that ridiculous? He had no ties to ISIS whatsoever apart from the fact that he pledged allegiance to them, just because someone pledges allegiance to them it doesn't mean that this is the core reason as to why someone does something. The simple truth is that he was a disturbed, angry individual. He called the police to pledge allegiance to ISIS because he wants everyone to think that is why he did it - when the true reason lies somewhere down in that idiots broken soul.
Original post by queen-bee
OP I think you should've mentioned the 'terrorist colour chart' when it comes to the media and how they classify a terrorist image.jpeg

I never realised white supremacist Anders Brevik was brown or that the Irish Republican Army is in fact made up of Muslims.........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending