The Student Room Group

Pride in London - 2016 - All you need to know!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
First of all I'm really proud of you for just biting the bullet and going despite being in the closet! Take it from me, you won't regret it (providing everything runs as smoothly as usual). When I first went, I was struggling so much with self-acceptance and it completely lifted me up. The event is beautiful.

I really hope you enjoy it and I'm glad the information has helped and that you're excited. Don't worry too much about the camera thing - it's unlikely unless you're in the parade.

Thank you so much for this message. I honestly appreciate it, as I've been worrying about coming out for years now (still don't know if I'm bi or lesbian) I'm glad you enjoyed the parade. This really cheered me up :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by YaYazooGirl
Thank you so much for this message. I honestly appreciate it, as I've been worrying about coming out for years now (still don't know if I'm bi or lesbian) I'm glad you enjoyed the parade. This really cheered me up :smile:

No worries, I hope you enjoy it. If you need a chat about anything, feel free to drop me a PM.

Best wishes to you :jumphug:
I'm sorry but where did I comment on any of those issues? We have made huge strides. Just because we're not 100% there yet doesn't mean there is nothing to celebrate; if we constantly cry and get angry and push, nobody will receive us. There has to be an approach that is balanced and saying there is nothing to celebrate is quite frankly, a complete discredit to those who have died for your right to be who you are, and devoted their lives to fighting for the rights we now have. We're the next generation of fighters and yes, there are issues that need significant attention and Pride aims to highlight a lot of those, but it also aims to celebrate, and that too is merited.

I'm not interested in all this 'be nice to the cis hets so they stop killing us' *******s. You are saying the same things that we ALWAYS hear from cis gay white men. 'Don't get angry', 'we'll get to your rights afterwards'... Because you're scared that after less 'acceptable' parts of the community have fought for your rights and you're now feeling accepted that you'll lose that if we keep fighting.
Reply 43
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'm not interested in all this 'be nice to the cis hets so they stop killing us' *******s. You are saying the same things that we ALWAYS hear from cis gay white men. 'Don't get angry', 'we'll get to your rights afterwards'... Because you're scared that after less 'acceptable' parts of the community have fought for your rights and you're now feeling accepted that you'll lose that if we keep fighting.

What is actually wrong with you? All of this "cis hets" and "cis gay white men" malarky is a load of tosh. I don't think Trans people or people of other genders and so on are less 'acceptable' - what on earth are you trying to pin against me? You're being completely intolerant and militant, which is what nobody needs. It isn't about getting to people's rights afterwards, either. This is the real world and you need to wake up to the fact that progress takes time. We had to wait and we had to wait centuries. We're fighting for your rights, and our own, daily. It takes time to change a generations opinions on things and you can't just storm in and get angry and shove it down everybody's necks like they owe you something - none of us can - or we all get nothing from the years of fighting.

And I completely resent the fact you are categorising me based on my race, sexuality and gender - you're behaving in a manner consistent with how anti-LGBTQIA people respond.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Guys, please keep safe when you go. After recent events it's worrying having loads of targeted people in one place at once. :c
Reply 45
Original post by AshEntropy
Guys, please keep safe when you go. After recent events it's worrying having loads of targeted people in one place at once. :c

Totally :smile:
Reply 46
Totally :smile:

Okie dokie :smile:
What about you guys? :smile:

Thanks for tagging me in.

I'm probably not going, and here's the reasons why.

I don't know anyone else who is going, and by all accounts Pride is a social affair.

Second, I'm not out as bisexual to very many people, though coming out isn't too terrifying a prospect.
Reply 48
Original post by Mactotaur
Thanks for tagging me in.

I'm probably not going, and here's the reasons why.

I don't know anyone else who is going, and by all accounts Pride is a social affair.

Second, I'm not out as bisexual to very many people, though coming out isn't too terrifying a prospect.

Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully you can go to another one in the coming years.

It's quite odd that so few TSRians seem to be going! I thought more would be. Oh well.
Reply 49
The London Pride Parade, 2016.
Okay, so, this month is Pride month. Pride month is a time when the LGBTQIA+ community and its supporters - straight allies; the law; the military; small businesses; corporate companies; and so on - come together in solidarity to show their support and celebrate.

I thought it'd be a good idea to make this thread for those who are thinking of going or those who are going and would like a little more information about what Pride is, why it's important, what events are going on, and how you can get involved.

2016 Warnings and Safety at Pride

What is Pride and why it important?

What can I do?

Where and When is Pride?

Pride Events

2016 Stonewall and Pride in London's Themes for

2015 Images from Pride in London,

2016 Supporters of Pride

I live in Wales atm so it's really far away :frown: plus I think I'd feel really nervous there, considering what happened in Orlando recently.
Reply 50
Original post by Ciel.
I live in Wales atm so it's really far away :frown: plus I think I'd feel really nervous there, considering what happened in Orlando recently.

Fair shout - hopefully you can attend another at some point :smile:
Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully you can go to another one in the coming years.

It's quite odd that so few TSRians seem to be going! I thought more would be. Oh well.

I'm sure it would be different if I knew people going.
Reply 52
Original post by Mactotaur
I'm sure it would be different if I knew people going.

Fair enough :smile:.

I mean, tonnes of people are going, just not the few who've responded on here I suppose!
Reply 53
Fair shout - hopefully you can attend another at some point :smile:

Yeah, I'd love to! :smile:

Lol don't want to conjure up a fake excuse. But for a few reasons I just can't go, sorry. :redface:

Have fun though mate. :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by champ_mc99
Lol don't want to conjure up a fake excuse. But for a few reasons I just can't go, sorry. :redface:

Have fun though mate. :tongue:

Ah - that's a shame. No pressure to say what those reasons are.
Reply 56

Thanks a lot for tagging and inviting me to the event dear Ivybridge !Much appreciated !It would be very nice to go and attend and to experience this .. but I am afraid I am not sure I will be able to take part and might be unavailable. Sorry.Nevertheless, many thanks for letting us all know, anyway !I hope many other people will be able to attend instead of me.Good luck !
Reply 57
Original post by Vlad83
Thanks a lot for tagging and inviting me to the event dear Ivybridge !Much appreciated !It would be very nice to go and attend and to experience this .. but I am afraid I am not sure I will be able to take part and might be unavailable. Sorry.Nevertheless, many thanks for letting us all know, anyway !I hope many other people will be able to attend instead of me.Good luck !

Ah, shame.

I'm seriously so surprised to see so few people from TSR are attending... I mean, I suppose it's to be expected given Orlando.

Anyway, hopefully you can go another year.
Reply 58
Ah, shame.

I'm seriously so surprised to see so few people from TSR are attending... I mean, I suppose it's to be expected given Orlando.

Anyway, hopefully you can go another year.

Maybe !..
Thanks Ivybridge !
Original post by thunder_chunky
So when's straight pride month?

Always.

Quick Reply

Latest