The Student Room Group

Should the 'Foundation' option in GCSEs be withdrawn, particularly for core subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I think that everybody should do the higher tier, but the grades should go from A* to G, instead of A* - D. Despite common belief, I have to say that it is harder to attain a C in the foundation paper than the higher, since while the questions may be easier, the grade boundaries are a lot harsher. I've never got a C in a foundation paper, while I have many times in higher papers.
Original post by RJDG14
I think that everybody should do the higher tier, but the grades should go from A* to G, instead of A* - D. Despite common belief, I have to say that it is harder to attain a C in the foundation paper than the higher, since while the questions may be easier, the grade boundaries are a lot harsher. I've never got a C in a foundation paper, while I have many times in higher papers.

Hahaha loser
Reply 82
It depends really, as the problem with foundation you have to get more marks, as with higher you need less, i've sat foundation GCSE science exams in 2016 and chemisitry was hard!
if u cant pass to the same standards as everyone else u dont deserve a pass.
it needs to be gone
Original post by bj1
The whole content of gcse English and maths could do with being overhauled in order to make it more useful for everyone, and more worthwhile considering it is compulsory for college and employment. But 'analysing poetry/newspapers/spoken language' and algebra in maths have no use whatsoever for real life for those who need to simply pass those subjects. English should focus more on writing skills and particularly spelling and maths needs more real life context such as calculating interest, bills and taxes etc. Save all the algebra and English analysis for A level.

I think the only worthwhile subjects in terms of gcse content are science and languages. Geography was also a bit odd - a lot of theory and case studies but i bet many would have passed without being able to name a single continent, country etc. I didn't do history but those who did seem to have been caught up with 'sources' more than any actual history content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

whats the point in learning about waves in physics?
whats the point in learning about ww1 in history?
whats the point in learning regression in statistics?
whats the point in learning about networks in computing?

...it won't help me in real life.

you can make the argument 'it won't help me in real life' for practically every GCSE subjects.
Couldn't agree more.
The amount of hypocrisy stirring in this thread is absolutely baffling.
Original post by Evilstr99
The amount of hypocrisy stirring in this thread is absolutely baffling.

spot on, most people here don't realise what they're saying.

Quick Reply

Latest