The Student Room Group

Uni acceptance or rejection with AS grades ?

Yo
Let's say on results day I get 2A's in Maths and Sociology and the B in economics and D in English Lit for AS level is there any chance that these universities will accept me for accounting and finance
- City uni London
-Surrey Uni
- Queen Mary's
- LSE (although it may be pushing it)
- Warwick
Or am I pushing my look looking at such good uni's : if it helps I got 4A* and 7A at GCSE so will that by any chance help although they're not straight A*
City, Surrey, and Queen Mary's probably won't have many applicants with better GCSE's, and aren't really good universities. LSE will be tricky without FM or an A in Economics, but you might scrape Warwick (even though it is good and having a D won't help)
Reply 2
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
City, Surrey, and Queen Mary's probably won't have many applicants with better GCSE's, and aren't really good universities. LSE will be tricky without FM or an A in Economics, but you might scrape Warwick (even though it is good and having a D won't help)

Yh I regret not taking FM , it's believed that universities do not look at GCSE's as everyone states that they're useless after A levels , do they actually look at your grades ?
Original post by TaraMott
Yh I regret not taking FM , it's believed that universities do not look at GCSE's as everyone states that they're useless after A levels , do they actually look at your grades ?

They do, and yours are good (fantastic for City/Surrey, below average however for LSE). I don't think you'll be accepted by LSE, you've got a chance for Warwick, and you can do better than the other three (imo)
Reply 4
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
They do, and yours are good (fantastic for City/Surrey, below average however for LSE). I don't think you'll be accepted by LSE, you've got a chance for Warwick, and you can do better than the other three (imo)

Yeah I guess I'll b pushing it by believing I'll get into that. Thank you so much though
Reply 5
@TaraMott Your predictions will be somewhat based on your AS-levels (or mocks if you didn't do AS-levels) but they will also factor in more recent school work and assessments. So if you continue to do well in Y13 at the time your school finalises their predictions for UCAS they could well be better than AABD.

BTW Surrey is a perfectly good university.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
@TaraMott Your predictions will be somewhat based on your AS-levels (or mocks if you didn't do AS-levels) but they will also factor in more recent school work and assessments. So if you continue to do well in Y13 at the time your school finalises their predictions for UCAS they could well be better than AABD.

BTW Surrey is a perfectly good university.

Yeah Surrey is the one I want to go to . Might just not put the D in my application although it would feel like I wasted a year doing English for no reason
Reply 7
Yeah Surrey is the one I want to go to . Might just not put the D in my application although it would feel like I wasted a year doing English for no reason

You have to declare ALL your qualifications. Including the D...

It's entirely up to the universities to figure out if it's relevant to your application.

Withholding grades is a bad idea (and is fraudulent :frown: ).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
You have to declare ALL your qualifications. Including the D...

It's entirely up to the universities to figure out if it's relevant to your application.

Withholding grades is a bad idea (and is fraudulent :frown: ).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yikes , I didn't actually realise that. I've just got to hope that it's actually not a D then but never know till results day
Reply 9
Yikes , I didn't actually realise that. I've just got to hope that it's actually not a D then but never know till results day

I got ABBC in my AS levels and applied to Surrey and Queen Mary, and got offers. So I imagine you would too with those grades you think you've got with those unis, however I dunno about LSE and Warwick as they tend to be more competitive
Reply 10
Original post by ozzie2
I got ABBC in my AS levels and applied to Surrey and Queen Mary, and got offers. So I imagine you would too with those grades you think you've got with those unis, however I dunno about LSE and Warwick as they tend to be more competitive

That's really good ! I feel like my subject choices aren't the typical 'science' ones and so are not really respected which won't help

Quick Reply

Latest