The Student Room Group

My Tips For Next Years Yr11's

Okay so by June the 27th I will have finished the entirety of my exams, all 26 of them.... This is what I've decided to be my tips for next years yr 11's everything I wish I did do, didn't do/ did do!

1) Do your homework, just do it.. okay! I learnt the hard way and getting in trouble in year 11 is not a thing you need, you're set homework for a reason and trust me doing it will mean you're consolidating everything you learnt in the day meaning it will stick in your head more when you go to revise. I wish I did do it as it would have made my revision load a whole lot smaller!

2) Keep all the useful worksheets your teachers give you in good condition; I didn't do this and just shoved them in my bag regretting it when it came to revision, buy a folder or something. Whilst we're on this topic try and keep your school work relatively neat.

3) USE THE INTERNET! It had EVERYTHING you could ever want, to be completely honest I would trade my teachers for the internet any day watch the heck out of Hegarty maths and that Freesciencelessons dude they're a lifesaver.

4) Okay don't go full steam ahead with revision at the start of the year you will burn out.. TRUST ME. However do it in little chunks especially we subjects such as maths which can't be learnt in a day of hardcore last minute revision. I did half an hour most nights and watched mathsway and hegartymaths and this entitled the entirety of my Maths revision, so when it came to my exams I had less of a load since I was pretty much covered for maths. This technique works, no one is bad at maths at the start of yr 11 I was average with C's however in my year 11 mocks I got 98 on 1 paper just from doing half an hour a night, maths is a learnt skill which takes practice!

5) However remember this is your last year at normal school MAKE THE MOST OF IT, it will fly by! Hang out with your friends, and take part in everything school has to offer. Don't be a hermit, even when it's close to your exams you need to let of steam in order to be effective.

6) Now you will have subjects which you quite frankly don't care if you fail, I do. In that case prioritize your revision for other subjects which will benefit you HOWEVER still do a small bit of revision for them a day or two before, you would be surprised how much you will learn from a small amount of effort ultimately meaning you will get more c+ grades. Going into an exam which you haven't prepared for is the worse feeling ever. I revised two days before history and I believe I have done fairly well from that last minute revision without taking away from the subjects which I wish to get top grades in.

7) Don't sit there like a lemon! During an exam when you're done check your paper not once not twice at least 3 times. I missed a question in my history paper and 1 in my chemistry paper by accident luckily they were only a few marks however every mark counts!

Yep.. that's about it.. Enjoy it, Hate it but freaking SMASH IT!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Allergic2Cyanide
Okay so by June the 27th I will have finished the entirety of my exams, all 26 of them.... This is what I've decided to be my tips for next years yr 11's everything I wish I did do, didn't do/ did do!

1) Do your homework, just do it.. okay! I learnt the hard way and getting in trouble in year 11 is not a thing you need, you're set homework for a reason and trust me doing it will mean you're consolidating everything you learnt in the day meaning it will stick in your head more when you go to revise. I wish I did do it as it would have made my revision load a whole lot smaller!

2) Keep all the useful worksheets your teachers give you in good condition; I didn't do this and just shoved them in my bag regretting it when it came to revision, buy a folder or something. Whilst we're on this topic try and keep your school work relatively neat.

3) USE THE INTERNET! It had EVERYTHING you could ever want, to be completely honest I would trade my teachers for the internet any day watch the heck out of Hegarty maths and that Freesciencelessons dude they're a lifesaver.

4) Okay don't go full steam ahead with revision at the start of the year you will burn out.. TRUST ME. However do it in little chunks especially we subjects such as maths which can't be learnt in a day of hardcore last minute revision. I did half an hour most nights and watched mathsway and hegartymaths and this entitled the entirety of my Maths revision, so when it came to my exams I had less of a load since I was pretty much covered for maths. This technique works, no one is bad at maths at the start of yr 11 I was average with C's however in my year 11 mocks I got 98 on 1 paper just from doing half an hour a night, maths is a learnt skill which takes practice!

5) However remember this is your last year at normal school MAKE THE MOST OF IT, it will fly by! Hang out with your friends, and take part in everything school has to offer. Don't be a hermit, even when it's close to your exams you need to let of steam in order to be effective.

6) Now you will have subjects which you quite frankly don't care if you fail, I do. In that case prioritize your revision for other subjects which will benefit you HOWEVER still do a small bit of revision for them a day or two before, you would be surprised how much you will learn from a small amount of effort ultimately meaning you will get more c+ grades. Going into an exam which you haven't prepared for is the worse feeling ever. I revised two days before history and I believe I have done fairly well from that last minute revision without taking away from the subjects which I wish to get top grades in.

7) Don't sit there like a lemon! During an exam when you're done check your paper not once not twice at least 3 times. I missed a question in my history paper and 1 in my chemistry paper by accident luckily they were only a few marks however every mark counts!

Hey i'm in Year 11 too :smile:
How have your exams been ? Mine has been good so far although some were awful e.g AQA Physics 2 + 3 :s-smilie:
What is your last exam ? My last exam is on the same day as yours but I have statistics .
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey i'm in Year 11 too :smile:
How have your exams been ? Mine has been good so far although some were awful e.g AQA Physics 2 + 3 :s-smilie:
What is your last exam ? My last exam is on the same day as yours but I have statistics .

Oh Physics 2 was HORRIBLE physics 3 was slightly better I thought. My last exam is also Stats =)
Oh Physics 2 was HORRIBLE physics 3 was slightly better I thought. My last exam is also Stats =)

Same oh wow are you ready for it ? My school thinks it's straight forward so we have to learn few topics next week you ?
Reply 4
Thanks man, appreciate this. :smile: Will definitely follow your advice.
Same oh wow are you ready for it ? My school thinks it's straight forward so we have to learn few topics next week you ?

Yeah, our school has pretty much left us to ourselves to do it, I think they're hoping on a few extra gcse's to make the school look better xD. Currently I've been revising for my further maths, once I've got that out the way I'm going to just smash it out xD
x

I've linked to this on the year 10 thread for them to take a look at :smile:
I'm currently year 10 but I'm taking stats this year so I have an exam on the 27th June too. How are you revising for stats? (unfortunately we have mocks this week so I can't just sit there and do past papers all week as I probably need to)
I will have 24 exams next year and I'm really not looking forward to it (who would be?) but I'll have to work through it.
My target for next year is to actually start doing some revision most nights as I know when I start each evening I'm fine, I'm just useless at starting.
Yeah, our school has pretty much left us to ourselves to do it, I think they're hoping on a few extra gcse's to make the school look better xD. Currently I've been revising for my further maths, once I've got that out the way I'm going to just smash it out xD

Oh ok :smile: When are you gonna start for Stats ? Yeh same here lol. If you don't mind me asking is your school a state school if so is it London ? Mine is :smile:

I hope it's straight forward because we have done 3 weeks in November plus 2 weeks revision (last week and next week) and that's it and our teacher won't accept anything less than an A overall
Original post by Lemur14
I'm currently year 10 but I'm taking stats this year so I have an exam on the 27th June too. How are you revising for stats? (unfortunately we have mocks this week so I can't just sit there and do past papers all week as I probably need to)
I will have 24 exams next year and I'm really not looking forward to it (who would be?) but I'll have to work through it.
My target for next year is to actually start doing some revision most nights as I know when I start each evening I'm fine, I'm just useless at starting.

How are you revising for Stats ? I'm just going to be doing past papers and few topics that need recaping :smile:
Oh wow I've done 22 now i have one more left.
Good luck what are you aiming to get ?
Original post by Lemur14

Good luck with Stats =), I wish our school was bright enough to realize it's an exam which we should do in year 10. I'm just looking through past papers and learning key terms, there are some walk through on youtube of past papers which are handy if you get stuck. My main tips for getting revision done it to literally just start it! Set a timer for 25 minutes on your PC and do 25 mins of solid revision then at the end of that walk round your house make a tea do yoga or something I don't know, then start another 25 mins and so on! Don't get to stressed out about your yr 10 mocks, a lot can change in a year if you work hard! However throughout the year do keep in mind TIER entries! If you want to be doing higher than everything make sure your grades are consistent and having high predicted grades for applying to sixth form is a lifesaver! However you seem like a bright lad so I shouldn't be to worried =)
tip; last minute revision is surprisingly effective
26 exams?? Wow I had 17 for 12 Subjects :redface: two left now!!

My advice is to find a method of revision you like before your exams - I still hadn't mastered the art so I wasted so much of my time doing unproductive revision. I find making online flash cards and testing myself frequently is the way to go for me!
Best of luck to year 10s!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you revising for Stats ? I'm just going to be doing past papers and few topics that need recaping :smile:
Oh wow I've done 22 now i have one more left.
Good luck what are you aiming to get ?

I haven't done much but I find the actual writing of notes helps me more than reading them afterwards so I'm going through the revision guide and writing notes about topics I haven't been taught etc. I will try and get a past paper or two done but I don't hold much hope for that tbh as I have a really busy week with mocks and rehearsals starting for my latest show.
I'm aiming (and hopefully should get judging by my mock score) for an A* but I haven't done any stats since my mock so it could be anything. Our teacher didn't tell us our final coursework grades either so I don't know what I need to get to get that grade :frown:
Are you with Edexcel or AQA?
Original post by Mayhem™
tip; last minute revision is surprisingly effective

Yes 😂😂 so true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emperorzurg
26 exams?? Wow I had 17 for 12 Subjects :redface: two left now!!

My advice is to find a method of revision you like before your exams - I still hadn't mastered the art so I wasted so much of my time doing unproductive revision. I find making online flash cards and testing myself frequently is the way to go for me!
Best of luck to year 10s!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Goodluck with your last two! Revision cards are literally a life saver especially for knowledge and fact based subjects such as science. I personally found it better to put a question on the front and the answer on the back so I had to actively think about it although some people find it just as effective just to put facts on them.
Original post by Lemur14
I haven't done much but I find the actual writing of notes helps me more than reading them afterwards so I'm going through the revision guide and writing notes about topics I haven't been taught etc. I will try and get a past paper or two done but I don't hold much hope for that tbh as I have a really busy week with mocks and rehearsals starting for my latest show.
I'm aiming (and hopefully should get judging by my mock score) for an A* but I haven't done any stats since my mock so it could be anything. Our teacher didn't tell us our final coursework grades either so I don't know what I need to get to get that grade :frown:
Are you with Edexcel or AQA?

I did my maths IGCSE exam in year 10 :smile:
Oh ok. I'm aiming for an A* too. Did you do the Coursework if so do you know what grade you have achieved - my teacher won't tell us the grade.
I'm doing Edexcel you ?
Oh ok :smile: When are you gonna start for Stats ? Yeh same here lol. If you don't mind me asking is your school a state school if so is it London ? Mine is :smile:

Yeah it's a state school, in lincolnshire =p
Yeah it's a state school, in lincolnshire =p

Oh ok :h: What are you aiming for in Stats ? Also overall in GCSE.
If your interested take a look at my thread :
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631

8) Try different types of revision, don't just stick to one method! Watch youtube videos, make mind maps, colour code, flash cards. I did this for my last 4 exams and I did so much better with that than I did on any other.

Quick Reply

Latest