hehe xd

BigBrother xd
anyone else feel ****ed for this ?
Original post by Alextaylor6
BigBrother xd

based alpha Codrad repping uk
Original post by Aydin7
based alpha Codrad repping uk

look fukin conrad the savage, i really didn't expect to be discussing this in an economics thread 2 days before exam lol XD
look fukin conrad the savage, i really didn't expect to be discussing this in an economics thread 2 days before exam lol XD

haha me neither but I'm trying to reform xd
Ive actually never attempted a past paper before and I am currently looking at them very confused, anyone able to break down the different types of essay questions for me, how would you go abouts answering them?
Original post by NotoriousS
Ive actually never attempted a past paper before and I am currently looking at them very confused, anyone able to break down the different types of essay questions for me, how would you go abouts answering them?

give a short intro with a couple definitions

link your points to the question, make sure they are detailed and maybe provide counter arguments, evaluate some things. allow different paragraphs for different points/methods

throw some diagrams in there

conclude with your judgement and write stuff you haven't said before (don't repeat yourself)
conclude with your judgement and write stuff you haven't said before (don't repeat yourself)

NO

You're not supposed to add anything new to the conclusion, it should just be a summary of what you've already said. So you actually should be repeating yourself :biggrin:
Original post by BirdIsWord
NO

You're not supposed to add anything new to the conclusion, it should just be a summary of what you've already said. So you actually should be repeating yourself :biggrin:

oh well lol
give a short intro with a couple definitions

link your points to the question, make sure they are detailed and maybe provide counter arguments, evaluate some things. allow different paragraphs for different points/methods

throw some diagrams in there

Thanks! I am struggling though to applying the knowledge to the extract and question at hand; how do you identify what the question is actually asking?

E.g ‘The supply and use of water result in many externalities, both positive and negative’(Extract B, line 16).
Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate UK government policies thatcould be used to deal with problems associated with the supply and use of water.
put on stereo sayan 3d and get full marks xd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjbSgy3vSw
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks! I am struggling though to applying the knowledge to the extract and question at hand; how do you identify what the question is actually asking?

E.g ‘The supply and use of water result in many externalities, both positive and negative’(Extract B, line 16).
Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate UK government policies thatcould be used to deal with problems associated with the supply and use of water.

I feel this is my worst problem too. I hardly ever know what the question is even asking me or what the extracts are talking about.. But i know all the theory..

So the emphasis of application would be on water, the extract will have loads of it and you can quote that. For the context questions, the application comes from the extracts mostly.

You could say that "water supply can cause pollution" extract b, then talk about the negative effects (externalities), then how the government can deal with it, e.g. pollution permits

When you're answering a data question, the sources should be giving you the framework for some of your key arguments. You've not studied what those problems associated with water supply are - but the sources are trying to spell them out. Find a problem identified, cite the source and line number in your answer, quoting when needed, and use your knowledge of government intervention in general to discuss what could be done about it. That's where the application comes from - using your pool of knowledge on intervention to address the issues proposed by the sources.

This question is basically asking you to pick out the problems from the data, use your own knowledge on what could be done to address them, and conclude whether they are good or bad policies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ItsKiino
When you're answering a data question, the sources should be giving you the framework for some of your key arguments. You've not studied what those problems associated with water supply are - but the sources are trying to spell them out. Find a problem identified, cite the source and line number in your answer, quoting when needed, and use your knowledge of government intervention in general to discuss what could be done about it. That's where the application comes from - using your pool of knowledge on intervention to address the issues proposed by the sources.

This question is basically asking you to pick out the problems from the data, use your own knowledge on what could be done to address them, and conclude whether they are good or bad policies.

Thanks! my mark is going to be so terrible on this paper, I'm going to push the grade boundaries down alone
Reply 55
Does anyone have any disadvantages and advantages for government intervention and adv and disadv for leaving it up to market forces?
Reply 56
I'm screwed
Original post by badgyal
Does anyone have any disadvantages and advantages for government intervention and adv and disadv for leaving it up to market forces?

I'm guessing you're talking about when there's negative externalities in production and consumption

Well I guess you'd just say that if you left it up to market forces = negative externality would occur - with the correct diagram

Say gov intervention would therefore be needed to get production to the social optimal level not " free market level"
- taxation of company profits --> depends on PED for that good
Might just shove the heavier tax burden onto consumers if it's Inelastic and this affecting the poorest ( regressive ).. Argue that's gov failure

- also could encourage those people to move countries e.g large MNC's --> also gov failure as there's less revenue , affects jobs e.c.t

- there's a few other arguments against taxation I can't remember off the top of my head but look them up .

Or the government could intervene through pollution permits - so basically each firm can auction for these permits that allows them to pollute up to a certain level ( overall the socially optimal level ).. It creates an incentive to reduce pollution because if they sell their permits to companies that actually need it more then they can make profit , and first rule of companies = want profit

Eval - people are still going to pollute / depends how profitable the scheme actually is

Then extending of property rights to prevent tragedy of the commons where land is polluted and misused because it doesn't actually belong to anyone --> if you extend the property right e.g now it belongs to the government it's illegal to pollute on that land and you could be fined e.c.t

- quotas

- subsidising other safer and cleaner fuels
But there's the problem of over dependence by these firms on subsides and creates inefficiency in these markets
Also budget deficit --> wasteful spending e.c.t

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
So can anyone sum up the key basis of evaluation in the exam? My understanding is that you discuss a particular point, then you weigh up its costs and benefits and then argue the points which it depends on, e.g. 'the effectiveness of deregulation of a market to increase competetition heavily depends on other barriers to entry in the market too, such as strategic barriers to enrty'.
Would this be the correct way to evaluate? If not any advice?
Reply 59
Does anyone have any real world examples/case studies for this unit that we can use for the 25 markers?

Quick Reply

Latest