The Student Room Group

My Tips For Next Years Yr11's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nisha.sri
Oh ok :h: What are you aiming for in Stats ? Also overall in GCSE.
If your interested take a look at my thread :
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631

I aiming for A*'s in everything but German, I would also like an A^ in further maths xD Most likely won't happen though
Original post by Allergic2Cyanide
Good luck with Stats =), I wish our school was bright enough to realize it's an exam which we should do in year 10. I'm just looking through past papers and learning key terms, there are some walk through on youtube of past papers which are handy if you get stuck. My main tips for getting revision done it to literally just start it! Set a timer for 25 minutes on your PC and do 25 mins of solid revision then at the end of that walk round your house make a tea do yoga or something I don't know, then start another 25 mins and so on! Don't get to stressed out about your yr 10 mocks, a lot can change in a year if you work hard! However throughout the year do keep in mind TIER entries! If you want to be doing higher than everything make sure your grades are consistent and having high predicted grades for applying to sixth form is a lifesaver! However you seem like a bright lad so I shouldn't be to worried =)

Thanks :smile: Our school only put it as a year 10 exam because of the new maths GCSEs. Normally top set did maths in year 10 then further maths and stats in year 11 but they wanted us to get a grade 9 (hopefully) rather than an A* so they swapped stats and maths.
I know I should just start the revision lol I'm just not very good at actually doing that :frown: Thankfully I'm not really stressed about the mocks because we only got told about them 3 weeks ago and I decided that if the school couldn't be bothered to give us decent notice, I couldn't be bothered to do decent revision. I wouldn't generally take this stance but year 10s don't normally have mocks so I wasn't terribly impressed about them adding extra exams the weeks either side of a public exam and then not telling us until really late so I decided sod the mocks lol
Most our exams are untiered and I'm safe in higher whatever the results so I'm all good in that respect :smile: Just need to make sure my science grades aren't ghastly as they are the only ones which effect setting and I really don't want to lose my brilliant chemistry teacher which I would if I moved up or down a set.
I aiming for A*'s in everything but German, I would also like an A^ in further maths xD Most likely won't happen though

If you work hard everything will be achievable. Is it hard ?
Good luck tell me what you get :smile:
Good advice. I like to do past papers (sometimes they recycle the questions).
26 exams? I thought my 23 was a lot. (Though I did do 2 last year, so 25 in total.)
I did my maths IGCSE exam in year 10 :smile:
Oh ok. I'm aiming for an A* too. Did you do the Coursework if so do you know what grade you have achieved - my teacher won't tell us the grade.
I'm doing Edexcel you ?

Nice :smile: What grade did you get? We're doing our Edexcel GCSE 9-1 Maths next year along with additional/further maths (the school haven't decided lol)
I did the coursework and the last grade I saw was pre in school moderation (so it's been through moderation twice since before the mystery final grade). That was iirc ~36/40 so A* but it's only 25% so easy to make up in the exam anyway :smile:
I'm edexcel as well :smile:
Thanks so much for the tips, I have put it under my favourites if I need to come back to it! :smile:
If you work hard everything will be achievable. Is it hard ?
Good luck tell me what you get :smile:

It's inbetween GCSE and a level maths, it's okay though. However it's all self taught from the internet xD. I will make sure to tell you what I get =) you tell me what you get to in stats =)
Original post by Lemur14
Nice :smile: What grade did you get? We're doing our Edexcel GCSE 9-1 Maths next year along with additional/further maths (the school haven't decided lol)
I did the coursework and the last grade I saw was pre in school moderation (so it's been through moderation twice since before the mystery final grade). That was iirc ~36/40 so A* but it's only 25% so easy to make up in the exam anyway :smile:
I'm edexcel as well :smile:

I got an A* :smile:
Oh ok we never got our grade so annoying but we will soon find out :biggrin:
Ikr i wish it was more like 40%. Although to get an A* in the paper is usually 81/100
Original post by IssyCon
Good advice. I like to do past papers (sometimes they recycle the questions).
26 exams? I thought my 23 was a lot. (Though I did do 2 last year, so 25 in total.)

23 is a lot...just 26 is even more (obviously). I'm doing 24 next year, 3 this year and did 3 last year. I end up with 14 full GCSEs and 2 half ones. It's ridiculous the number of exams they are putting us through!
It's inbetween GCSE and a level maths, it's okay though. However it's all self taught from the internet xD. I will make sure to tell you what I get =) you tell me what you get to in stats =)

Do you use any websites or anything to revise for stats ? Oh ok :smile: I sure will
Original post by Lemur14
23 is a lot...just 26 is even more (obviously). I'm doing 24 next year, 3 this year and did 3 last year. I end up with 14 full GCSEs and 2 half ones. It's ridiculous the number of exams they are putting us through!

It's a new trend sadly. Schools only care about getting more GCSE'S so they put more pressure on their *bright* students to do more exams thus getting more GCSE'S. In year 10 I did RS and ICT so it wasn't to bad then.
Original post by MrMackyTv
Thanks so much for the tips, I have put it under my favourites if I need to come back to it! :smile:

We've been missing you on Skype Matt :wink:
I got an A* :smile:
Oh ok we never got our grade so annoying but we will soon find out :biggrin:
Ikr i wish it was more like 40%. Although to get an A* in the paper is usually 81/100

Well done :smile: I'm hoping for a 9 next year but will probably make too many silly mistakes which I'm really bad at spotting :frown:
68 days and we'll find out (I think it was 68 anyway...going away the day before and my sister was telling me how long until we go away this morning lol)
25% I think is good tbh because any more and it starts getting more difficult to make it up in the exam and we rushed the coursework a lot so I'd really rather there wasn't too much pressure on scoring high on the exam to get the grade I want.
I got 88/100 on the mock but as I say, I haven't done any stats since so who knows what I would get if I did a paper now lol
It's a new trend sadly. Schools only care about getting more GCSE'S so they put more pressure on their *bright* students to do more exams thus getting more GCSE'S. In year 10 I did RS and ICT so it wasn't to bad then.

I go between that mind set to the they want the best for our future mindset lol
I'm gonna get 3.5 more GCSEs than anyone who's not in top set maths/triple science/high set IT etc. which definitely shows the pressure that *bright* students are put under (I'm only good in maths/chemistry/physics though so it's just luck/a curse that those are the ones with extra GCSEs in)
I did French/citizenship in year 9
RS/IT/Stats in year 10
so neither of them have been too bad but it's just the volume we're getting that's ridiculous. (though citizenship/French were on the first 2 days in the exam season last year which was really annoying lol)
Does anyone have a Hegartymaths login I could borrow? Our school doesn't provide us with that :]

Quick Reply

Latest