Further Additional Science-A*
English Language-B
English Lit-B
History-B
Spanish-B
Computing-A
RE-A
Business-A*

Are these good enough grades to be getting into top unis for medicine, maybe even oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSR778899
Im predicting my gcses to be:
Maths-A*
Core Science-A*
Additional Science-A*
English Language-B
English Lit-B
History-B
Spanish-B
Computing-A
RE-A
Business-A*

Are these good enough grades to be getting into top unis for medicine, maybe even oxbridge?

sometimes i really do wonder if people just come on tsr to show off their huge ego and grades
That's really bad...

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by fartinugget
sometimes i really do wonder if people just come on tsr to show off their huge ego and grades

I defo am not, trust me. Im just worried because I've been watching these results day vids on youtube and people are getting like 10 A*s and one A, how am i meant to compete with these people?
I defo am not, trust me. Im just worried because I've been watching these results day vids on youtube and people are getting like 10 A*s and one A, how am i meant to compete with these people?

dude look at your grades again and compare them to my 1A* 3A's 6B's and 2C's

seriously stop getting your small boy panties in a twist of 1080° you're FINE i'm the one who'll struggle but you're FINE K?
Dude chill out. GCSEs actually don't mean ****. Only maths and English matter for GCSEs, so your B in English may be a concern. Only a levels really matter tbh and wait til a levels smack you in the face, don't worry about your results, prepare for a levels
I'll treat this as not a troll due to the B grades.

Yep, they're pretty decent.

Though I've recently learned that for Law, Churchill College has not admitted anyone with less than 9 A*'s at GCSE for over a decade.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'll treat this as not a troll due to the B grades.

Yep, they're pretty decent.

Though I've recently learned that for Law, Churchill College has not admitted anyone with less than 9 A*'s at GCSE for over a decade.

is that cambridge?
Reply 8
They are good, yes. However, if I am being completely honest they are not the typical Oxbridge standard. But, saying that - Oxbridge do give offers to people with weaker GCSEs. I don't think they have a 'set' number of A*'s that you have to get. But, most Oxbridge candidates do get over 8A*'s.
Original post by goldenusername
is that cambridge?

Yep

Damn, I thought I added that in in the original post :/
Reply 10
You should be fine for medicine if you get A*s in maths/science. Oxbridge might be an issue though as, particularly for Oxford, I've heard you realistically need all your GCSEs at an A minimum to stand a chance. That shouldn't put you off though, your A levels and work experience are what really matter for medicine.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Yep

Damn, I thought I added that in in the original post :/

that's pretty harsh
i didn't know law was that competitive tbh
Im predicting my gcses to be:
Maths-A*
Core Science-A*
Additional Science-A*
English Language-B
English Lit-B
History-B
Spanish-B
Computing-A
RE-A
Business-A*

The average for oxford last year, for medicine was 10.6 A*s, then again Oxford isn't everything.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

It all depends on the medical school, but in short, all of the people saying your GCSEs don't matter are wrong. They do, just not for most people, however if you're looking to do medicine and/or go to Oxbridge then they will have an effect on your chances.

Yours are very good for the majority of university courses, it's only for medicine that they'd only be considered "okay", since it's so competitive. But, apparently lots of people have gotten into medical schools with grades far worse than yours, so you'll be fine, it will mostly depend on your work experience and A levels.

Your grades would however be low for places like Oxbridge where they say that most candidates around 8 A*s at GCSE, but even then if you did really well at A levels and had lots of good work experience, Cambridge would still give you a good chance (as they don't care a lot about GCSEs) but Oxford might not (they care a lot about GCSEs) - your GCSEs might be fine even for Oxford (I'm not sure), you'd have to look on the Oxford uni website, but they would likely be lower than a lot of other applicants' grades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

It all depends on the medical school, but in short, all of the people saying your GCSEs don't matter are wrong. They do, just not for most people, however if you're looking to do medicine and/or go to Oxbridge then they will have an effect on your chances.

Yours are very good for the majority of university courses, it's only for medicine that they'd only be considered "okay", since it's so competitive. But, apparently lots of people have gotten into medical schools with grades far worse than yours, so you'll be fine, it will mostly depend on your work experience and A levels.

Your grades would however be low for places like Oxbridge where they say that most candidates around 8 A*s at GCSE, but even then if you did really well at A levels and had lots of good work experience, Cambridge would still give you a good chance (as they don't care a lot about GCSEs) but Oxford might not (they care a lot about GCSEs) - your GCSEs might be fine even for Oxford (I'm not sure), you'd have to look on the Oxford uni website, but they would likely be lower than a lot of other applicants' grades.

Thanks this is actually very helpful
Original post by goldenusername
that's pretty harsh
i didn't know law was that competitive tbh

That's just Churchill College, which is ridiculously stringent for some reason. One year they didn't even accept anyone for Law.

It depends on the college though. Peterhouse, for example, is much better, and statistics released in one of my threads revealed that a significant proportion of offer-holders had achieved 0-1 A*s at GCSE. They also have a very good applicant/offer ratio, of about 4. If I apply to Cambridge, it'll probably be to Peterhouse. :tongue:

With Oxford and Cambridge, the stringency of acceptance varies wildly by college.
Reply 16
Original post by ?Hannah
They are good, yes. However, if I am being completely honest they are not the typical Oxbridge standard. But, saying that - Oxbridge do give offers to people with weaker GCSEs. I don't think they have a 'set' number of A*'s that you have to get. But, most Oxbridge candidates do get over 8A*'s.

thanks
Reply 17
Yes. As long you do well in your A-Levels, your GCSE results won't matter much...
Listen don't worry.
My GCSE grades are so much worse than that, probably full of Cs, I never tried at all.
But, you can still go to top unis - depends on the university, if you do really good in your A-levels (by that I mean you destroy it). Literally, if you get 10 A*s but flop your A-levels, it doesn't mean anything, you'll get rejected.
I am now just aiming to get all 2 A*s and an A/A* in my A-levels over the next two years.
Original post by student_1999
Dude chill out. GCSEs actually don't mean ****. Only maths and English matter for GCSEs, so your B in English may be a concern. Only a levels really matter tbh and wait til a levels smack you in the face, don't worry about your results, prepare for a levels

IS that true? Because I think I've done bad in my non-core subjects like history, business etc.
I know they aren't necessary, but they are for some depending on your course. I'm panicking i've ****** my gcses.

Quick Reply

Latest