The Student Room Group

racism

why do people hold different views to racism?
Reply 1
Everyone has different opinions about things. It's life
I honestly believe white people should have no say in what is racist and what is not as they have never themselves experienced it. Racism is systematic oppression and our system favours white people, however, bullying white people is not right and never will be. Just angers me that white people do not understand their privilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by dexterminate
I honestly believe white people should have no say in what is racist and what is not as they have never themselves experienced it. Racism is systematic oppression and our system favours white people, however, bullying white people is not right and never will be. Just angers me that white people do not understand their privilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean "white people should have no say in what is racist"? People can be racist to white people aswell you know... but you just don't see it as much
Original post by dexterminate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not the definition of racism, sorry you are totally wrong
Original post by iHammmy
What do you mean "white people should have no say in what is racist"? People can be racist to white people aswell you know... but you just don't see it as much

You can’t be technically “racist” to white people, white people in our society, have never experienced racism, only prejudice. Racism is when one believes one’s race is superior than others and antagonises that inferior race, white people have never been inferior in our society.

White skin is seen as the default skin in our society. You always hear, “she’s beautiful... for an Indian girl.” This is because Eurocentric features are seen as the epitome of beauty. I am in NO WAY justifying prejudice and discrimination against white people, I am simply saying that white people cannot experience racism as they are seen as the superior race.

In addition to this, it is also about systematic oppression. White people have never been oppressed and they benefit from our system. Stereotypes against white people do not affect their chances of having a fulfilling life, but for minorities, they do.

For example, a stereotype of white people is that they shoot up schools, this does not affect their chances of getting a job, this does not increase the chances of them getting pulled over by policemen. However, a stereotype against black people is that they are ‘thugs’, this will most definitely affect their chances of getting jobs, or increases their chances of getting pulled over.

Lets talk about how white people were never oppressed for their skin colour. They might have been for their culture or where they are from, but whites have never been oppressed due to their skin colour.

Also, racism is not just prejudice. Prejudice is the tip of the iceberg of what racism actually is. Let me reiterate, I am in no way justifying prejudice or discrimination against white people, that is not okay, but it’s not called racism. Racism applies to minorities, minorities can be racist against other minorities, for example, a Latino saying “black people are always in jail”, that is racist, but a Latino saying, “whites have no lips,” is not racism as white people are in no way affected by that comment, however, the comment against the black people are affected as that stereotype might end up jeopardising their chance of a future.

I hope this made sense. White people are cool, black people are cool, every race is cool, but saying you can be racist to white people just does not make sense. You can be prejudice and you can discriminate a white person, but racism is just not the right term.

How can you try to feel victimised by something you created?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AperfectBalance
Not the definition of racism, sorry you are totally wrong

Read my recent post

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest