The Student Room Group

Should you take a fourth A2 if studying further maths?

Recently attended an Oxford event at Edgbaston where they recommended students taking Maths, Physics and Further Maths at A2 should consider doing "something extra" if they want their application to be successful. I also read that in some courses such as economics at LSE they prefer further maths to be your fourth subject at A2. Should I continue with chemistry next year in addition to the aforementioned 3 subjects? Any help/info is much appreciated
Original post by LukeHarrison
Recently attended an Oxford event at Edgbaston where they recommended students taking Maths, Physics and Further Maths at A2 should consider doing "something extra" if they want their application to be successful. I also read that in some courses such as economics at LSE they prefer further maths to be your fourth subject at A2. Should I continue with chemistry next year in addition to the aforementioned 3 subjects? Any help/info is much appreciated

What course? The only places that really require a fourth subject (or rather only accept FM as a fourth subject) are certain med schools and LSE for economics. At top universities, it is common for people to take four A2's including Further Maths, but it certainly isn't necessary -- I have a Cambridge offer for Computer Science with only Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2 (plus an EPQ, but that's relatively irrelevant). If Chemistry is relevant to your intended degree, or you enjoy it and find it easy, consider taking it. If not, you will be fine dropping it.
I dropped FM because it wasn't relevant to my degree (Law - Oxford). Far better to do well in your other subjects
Original post by sweeneyrod
What course? The only places that really require a fourth subject (or rather only accept FM as a fourth subject) are certain med schools and LSE for economics. At top universities, it is common for people to take four A2's including Further Maths, but it certainly isn't necessary -- I have a Cambridge offer for Computer Science with only Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2 (plus an EPQ, but that's relatively irrelevant). If Chemistry is relevant to your intended degree, or you enjoy it and find it easy, consider taking it. If not, you will be fine dropping it.

Ah okay that's pretty interesting - do you have any idea why Economics at LSE only accepts FM as a fourth subject? It would be a course I'd be interested in (though I'd probably apply for the Maths and/with Economics course instead). Thinking back, I believe they did mention the EPQ as an effective way to add to your application taking those 3 subjects. How are you finding them at A2 compared to AS?
Ah okay that's pretty interesting - do you have any idea why Economics at LSE only accepts FM as a fourth subject? It would be a course I'd be interested in (though I'd probably apply for the Maths and/with Economics course instead). Thinking back, I believe they did mention the EPQ as an effective way to add to your application taking those 3 subjects. How are you finding them at A2 compared to AS?

I think I read on their website that they feel it's too closely related to Maths A-level
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I got A*A*A*A with A in FM and they didnt take me in cos they needed A* in FM
Original post by Santa Cruz
I think I read on their website that they feel it's too closely related to Maths A-level

Makes sense for the most part - though I would have thought S2 and D2 units despite being similar to normal maths would provide a good basis for some of the maths and stats work done in 1st year. I suppose you do need to prove other skillsets though
Original post by Shapez
I got A*A*A*A with A in FM and they didnt take me in cos they needed A* in FM

Oxford Maths?
Reply 8
Oxford Maths?

Yes. Cambridge wanted STEP so I didnt even bother with them.

I'm not quite sure what there reasons are. If you look on their website they have a table of which courses accept FM as a fourth subject, and which don't mind it as one of three. I think Maths with Economics might be more OK with only three A2's.

I don't think any of the subjects are massively harder at A2. I'd say Further Maths increases in difficulty more than the others, mainly in that the grade boundaries are higher for A2 modules. It is certainly possible to cope with four subjects, but I just didn't want the extra stress of doing another subject without any real benefit.
Reply 10

All standard Oxford offers are based on 3 A-levels. Further, with the recent A-level funding changes it's now pretty unreasonable to be asking anyone to do more than than 3 A-levels.

For degrees like Maths or Physics (or Computer Science), Maths, FMaths and Physics at A-level would be very good choices and sufficient in themselves.

What are you looking to study?

Also who was running this Edgbaston event?

Quick Reply

Latest