The Student Room Group

Ask a current student about Philosophy!

I'm currently a first year student at the University of Nottingham, so feel free to ask me anything about philosophy, student life or anything thats worrying you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amber1997
I'm currently a first year student at the University of Nottingham, so feel free to ask me anything about philosophy, student life or anything thats worrying you!

what is your favourite thing about studying philosphy?

Hey, I'm in year 12 doing my AS levels and I'm planning on doing geography at uni, because I enjoy it and it has good career prospects, but philosophy is where my true passion lies (I'm doing philosophy and ethics a level).

I was looking at philosophy degrees at Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Newcastle. I really really enjoy philosophy, though i sometimes find it difficult.

Just wanted some advice on the difficulty? (I'm predicted AAAC for my AS levels).
Should I just stick with geography as it's a safer option or do I take the risk and do philosophy at uni? The last thing I want is to get a place doing a philosophy degree at uni and end up finding it too much to handle :frown:
Reply 3
How difficult is it? What things have you covered in your first year?
Reply 4
Original post by trufflexo
Hey, I'm in year 12 doing my AS levels and I'm planning on doing geography at uni, because I enjoy it and it has good career prospects, but philosophy is where my true passion lies (I'm doing philosophy and ethics a level).

I was looking at philosophy degrees at Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Newcastle. I really really enjoy philosophy, though i sometimes find it difficult.

Just wanted some advice on the difficulty? (I'm predicted AAAC for my AS levels).
Should I just stick with geography as it's a safer option or do I take the risk and do philosophy at uni? The last thing I want is to get a place doing a philosophy degree at uni and end up finding it too much to handle :frown:

Hey trufflexo,

I was in a similar position to you, however i was torn between Biology & Philosophy. I went with my heart & chose philosophy in the end! With grades like yours you should have no problem in getting into your chosen into the unis you have applied for!!

Philosophy at Nottingham isn't hard if you put the work in, the same with any course! The one thing that will probably be beneficial to you is that at Nottingham you have the option to choose subsidiary modules. Now during your philosophy course you will have a set of compulsory modules that you have to do, but then you have the option to choose two or more modules from in or outside your school! Which is great for someone in your position! You could in your case choose geography modules, so you get the best of both worlds. I am not sure how it is with other unis though!

Hope i helped :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Oni96
How difficult is it? What things have you covered in your first year?

Hey Oni96,

With philosophy not all is bad! During your first semester at Nottingham you will take modules that are introductory, so they introduce into philosophy at university & provide you will vital skills that are needed to progress into more challenging and interesting arguments.

Check out the link below which explains all the modules that you could be taking if you choose to study at Nottingham! :smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/philosophy/ba-philosophy.aspx
Hey trufflexo,

I was in a similar position to you, however i was torn between Biology & Philosophy. I went with my heart & chose philosophy in the end! With grades like yours you should have no problem in getting into your chosen into the unis you have applied for!!

Philosophy at Nottingham isn't hard if you put the work in, the same with any course! The one thing that will probably be beneficial to you is that at Nottingham you have the option to choose subsidiary modules. Now during your philosophy course you will have a set of compulsory modules that you have to do, but then you have the option to choose two or more modules from in or outside your school! Which is great for someone in your position! You could in your case choose geography modules, so you get the best of both worlds. I am not sure how it is with other unis though!

Hope i helped :smile:

Ah thanks so much for your help! I've decided to take the plunge and apply for a philosophy degree, fingers crossed! I'm applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Warwick, UCL and Leeds (potentially). Thanks again, you really helped me make my decision x
Reply 7

Hi Amber,

I'm an international student who is currently applying to university in England. And I'm torn between doing a psychology bsc only or a joint honours degree with philosophy. I've taken philosophy at college (equivalent) and got an A. I always liked it, the writing and reading, the impression of liberty in your writing.
The thing is that I've already applied for my 5universities but only for psychology. One university hasn't replied yet, so I'm thinking about dropping out this university and try to apply for a joint honours at University of Reading. But I'm scared of my maths, I've got a very bad grade at my a level equivalent. And even though it's completely different and much more complicated than a level. Mainly because it was a science based diploma (physics, chemistry, maths, biology) all of them.
I'm planning to call Reading university first but I would like to knowyour opinions about my case.
What job will you get?

How do you know you will get it?

What do you say to people who think your degree is pointless?

What do you like about the subject?

Is there a high demand for people in your area?

Are your lectures all crazy?
I was offered a place last year at MMU,(its been deferred so I still have a spot if I want it this September) I used my foundation degree in Art & Design and other grades to make up a pretty high UCAS point collection. Essays, writing etc isn't my strongest area or biggest interest but in saying that when I have to I usually produce good work and have no problem filling 2000, 5000 or higher word counts

What does a philosophy degree involve day to day? Is it alot of essay writing, verbal debates, reading etc. I have no experience in studying the subject academically except my own personally 'hobbie' (I read and its generally the only thing I read about) and my own research during my years in art to help deepen and strengthen my abstract ideas for pieces

Its alot of money and I've never been to Uni before, im 28 now and im very unsure of taking the plunge to step into a new, expensive world that may not be for me

Any opinions and/or information is appreciated

I see myself worling in a creative sector such as film and tv, public art, media art, concept art etc and I feel while its good to strengthen my practical skills I feel studying philosphy would not only be different and stand out in applying for such career paths but would make for an interesting development in my ideas - so instead of just learning how to use practical art skills better I develop a stronger and more interesting approach to my ideas and their meanings through philosophy which I have done already through my own accord. Plus I find the subject absolutely enthralling

Thanks!
Reply 10

hi im thinking of doing a BA in philosophy next year as ive just finisbed my AS exams but not sure what careers it could lead to.
Reply 11
Original post by ElsMoll
Hi Amber,

I'm an international student who is currently applying to university in England. And I'm torn between doing a psychology bsc only or a joint honours degree with philosophy. I've taken philosophy at college (equivalent) and got an A. I always liked it, the writing and reading, the impression of liberty in your writing.
The thing is that I've already applied for my 5universities but only for psychology. One university hasn't replied yet, so I'm thinking about dropping out this university and try to apply for a joint honours at University of Reading. But I'm scared of my maths, I've got a very bad grade at my a level equivalent. And even though it's completely different and much more complicated than a level. Mainly because it was a science based diploma (physics, chemistry, maths, biology) all of them.
I'm planning to call Reading university first but I would like to knowyour opinions about my case.

hi there im also currently deciding between psychology or philosophy and its so confusing but i thnk ill do philosophy as its a subject that i am passionate about. what subject did you choose??? and what are your career prospects for after you graduate??
Reply 12
Hi,
I picked psychology because I would like a master in music psychology. My aim master is open to other bachelor degree but I'm not sure they would accept philosophy. I want to work in film or music industry as a consultant, or create a entrepreneurial company. :-)
I wanted to do both as I know it's possible as a joint honours degree in some uni, bht it was to late to apply for me and I had already been accepted in all my choices. :-/
Reply 13
Original post by ElsMoll
Hi Amber,

I'm planning to call Reading university first but I would like to know your opinions about my case.

Hi ElsMol,

Thats amazing that you've gotten an A in Philosophy! What i'd recommend is not to drop out of this uni! Wait until you have got an offer and then phone the university to see if they will allow you change your course to philosophy, or even make it a joint honours (which is where you study a bit of philosophy and a bit of psychology).

If worse comes to worst and you end up going to university studying solely psychology there will ALWAYS be the option to change course within the first month of uni at least! So make sure you explore al your option with the uni's, i'd recommend phoning them before hand.

Good Luck! :crossedf:
Reply 14
Original post by urbanlocations
What job will you get?

How do you know you will get it?

What do you say to people who think your degree is pointless?

What do you like about the subject?

Is there a high demand for people in your area?

Are your lectures all crazy?

Hi urbanlocations,

1) If you have shown passion for the course in your personal statement & meet the entry requirements that the unis have given you, then you should have no problem getting into your course on results day!

2) Read this!! https://www.quora.com/How-useful-is-a-degree-in-philosophy

3) I could be here forever compiling a list, however i will tell you a few! One of the main things that made me fall in love with the course is the fact that we get to write our minds, opinions and thoughts without being judged; we are allowed to explore a whole different view on things & there is no right or wrong!

4) I'm not sure about there being a large demand to study Philosophy in my area, however i know that it is one of the sought out courses in the country!!

5) The best thing about Nottingham, is that the lecture slides are put up onto the 'moodle' (which is a bit like an online file sharing system?) beforehand, so we are able to see what we will be learning in the lecture. therefore we can do the necessary planning and reading; as well as getting to grips with the subject before we even enter the lecture!
Reply 15
Original post by paula2578
hi im thinking of doing a BA in philosophy next year as ive just finisbed my AS exams but not sure what careers it could lead to.

Hi paula2578,

This is one of the questions that people ask me all the time! Even family members, which is so annoying!

However one of the best thing about Philosophy is that it doesn't lead you down one path, with one job at the end of it! I don't know about you, but i am very indecisive person and i can never make my mind up. Therefore keeping my options open at the degree was one of my important decision makers when it came to choosing a degree subject. With philosophy it provides you with skills that no other degree can! Therefore making you stand out from someone whose done a degree in a more common subject such as law.

Many philosophy students end up going to work in a number sectors, such as; law, teaching, human resources, journalism, creative writing... the list is endless!!
Reply 16
Original post by paula2578
hi there im also currently deciding between psychology or philosophy and its so confusing but i thnk ill do philosophy as its a subject that i am passionate about. what subject did you choose??? and what are your career prospects for after you graduate??

Hi again Paula!,

You could always do a joint honours, as thats what most people do if they can't decide, and philosophy with psychology is one of the more common ones.

I in the end chose to do straight up Philosophy!
Hey :smile:
If someone asked you to describe philosophy and what it is, how would you best describe the subject? And what do you believe are common misconceptions about philosophy?
I'm trying to understand the subject but I can't seem to.
Reply 18
Original post by trufflexo
Ah thanks so much for your help! I've decided to take the plunge and apply for a philosophy degree, fingers crossed! I'm applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Warwick, UCL and Leeds (potentially). Thanks again, you really helped me make my decision x

Glad I helped! I wish you all the best & i'd love to know what uni you get into! Especially if you end up going with Nottingham!

All the best for the future!
Reply 19
Hi paula2578,

This is one of the questions that people ask me all the time! Even family members, which is so annoying!

However one of the best thing about Philosophy is that it doesn't lead you down one path, with one job at the end of it! I don't know about you, but i am very indecisive person and i can never make my mind up. Therefore keeping my options open at the degree was one of my important decision makers when it came to choosing a degree subject. With philosophy it provides you with skills that no other degree can! Therefore making you stand out from someone whose done a degree in a more common subject such as law.

Many philosophy students end up going to work in a number sectors, such as; law, teaching, human resources, journalism, creative writing... the list is endless!!

yeah i am just like you lol im very indecisive as well so i think i will do philosphy as u want to keep my options open. maybe after i graduate i will do a one year course in a specific subject. can i ask what uni you went to and what modules you studied because im very fussy and picky with modules. thanks

Quick Reply