The Student Room Group

Journey to proving ALL my teachers wrong - GCSE - Year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
My first exam is religious studies unit 1 (edexcel), and tell me about it - there's just too many and I really haven't left myself much time at all...

My first is RS too! But I do OCR.
I revise the case studies the night before - I read through everything for revision, but I write and rewrite and (attempt to) memorise them the night before, or I'll forget them all and get confused.
Reply 21
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Today was meant to be my fist day of study leave.

I woke up at 9:45, showered and dressed straight away, and got to work on a Physics practice paper.

At 11:20, I get a call from my mum saying that my Geography teacher can't find most of my controlled assessment work.
When we come into school for study leave, we have to wear uniform but we're allowed to wear our leaver's hoodie.
So I put my hoodie over my top and my school skirt over my skirt, abandoned my paper and got the train to school.

12:20, I arrive in school.

My Controlled Assessment work was where it had been ALL along.
I don't even know where she got the work she thought she had from (probably the bin...)
Then she told me to edit some bits, so I finished that off, left school at 1:15 (school closed early because it's the last day of term), got a sandwich, and got the train home.
I finished the Physics paper and got an A* - which I was surprised about because I missed out/made up a lot.
65.5% was an A*, so.....

I'm going to do another paper - probably Biology in a couple of minutes and at 5:45 I'm getting Pizza with friends.

but still good thing they called you!!!! Back in my GCSE days, my teachers mucked up my History AND Child development coursework. I was on track for an A and A* respectively. But some a piece of coursework that was full marks turned out to be a D when results came in, and 95% for my Child dev piece turned out to be a C. It knocked me down a grade to B and A respectively. :s-smilie:
Original post by Arima
but still good thing they called you!!!! Back in my GCSE days, my teachers mucked up my History AND Child development coursework. I was on track for an A and A* respectively. But some a piece of coursework that was full marks turned out to be a D when results came in, and 95% for my Child dev piece turned out to be a C. It knocked me down a grade to B and A respectively. :s-smilie:

:frown:
My first is RS too! But I do OCR.
I revise the case studies the night before - I read through everything for revision, but I write and rewrite and (attempt to) memorise them the night before, or I'll forget them all and get confused.

Ah cool!
For my mocks I just revised them the night before and tbh that worked out for me quite well, I managed to get some pretty good marks in the 8 mark questions so I might do it again, although I did have to do it selectively for my mocks as I simply didn't have enough time to do them all but luckily I chose wisely as both of the ones that came up I had revised!
Ah cool!
For my mocks I just revised them the night before and tbh that worked out for me quite well, I managed to get some pretty good marks in the 8 mark questions so I might do it again, although I did have to do it selectively for my mocks as I simply didn't have enough time to do them all but luckily I chose wisely as both of the ones that came up I had revised!

I completely forgot to revise desert case studies for ecosystems and so I was standing outside of the exam hall revising - but luckily we didn't have to do the desert case studies.

My teacher "predicts" which case studies are going to be used for ecosystems, because they're in a cycle, and she's usually correct - but I'm still going to revise all of them.
I completely forgot to revise desert case studies for ecosystems and so I was standing outside of the exam hall revising - but luckily we didn't have to do the desert case studies.

My teacher "predicts" which case studies are going to be used for ecosystems, because they're in a cycle, and she's usually correct - but I'm still going to revise all of them.

Which units do you do for geography?
For physical I do The Restless Earth, Water on the Land and The Coastal Zone, and for human I do Population Change, Changing Urban Environments and Tourism.

I'm not relying on predictions, as there's no certainty that they'll come up. I'm just sticking to learning them all so that whatever does come up I'm prepared for. Revising them all is a good idea.
Which units do you do for geography?
For physical I do The Restless Earth, Water on the Land and The Coastal Zone, and for human I do Population Change, Changing Urban Environments and Tourism.

I'm not relying on predictions, as there's no certainty that they'll come up. I'm just sticking to learning them all so that whatever does come up I'm prepared for. Revising them all is a good idea.

I do Restless Earth, Water on the Land and Ecosystems, and the same as you for Human Geography.

Good Luck!
I do Restless Earth, Water on the Land and Ecosystems, and the same as you for Human Geography.

Good Luck!

Good luck to you too!
I really don't get around to updating as much as I want to, but never mind....

I woke up at 9:15, did nothing till 10:00. then I did some Maths, some creative writing, ate breakfast/lunch and then I did 2.5 hours of Add maths revision at a friend's house.

I'm hopefully going to do some English and Drama tomorrow, but I don't really have much motivation for either of them and I type my written exams so I need to use a laptop, but both laptops at home are downstairs and it's too noisy because my (darling) brothers are on holiday.

So we'll see....
I watched History Boys this morning for absolutely no reason.
I was finished by about 10:15, did an Add Maths paper (2014) and got an A (my first ever A in Add maths!! And it wasn't a low A!)
And then I did a biology paper, got an A* and went to Brent Cross to buy stationary.
And that was it...
Tomorrow my mum should be taking my(r)others out so I'll probably do an English/Drama paper and a French Listening and hopefully an Add Maths paper.

Tuesday I have an event at the 6th form I'm hoping to attend if I get the grades, and so I only have a couple of hours or so, so we'll see what I get done.
School was finally open today and started at 11.
I went in at 11, was planning to go to a Physics revision session, but it was for all of triple and double, so there were a bit over 50 people in 1 science lab so I decided to do Add Maths instead.
I got an A on my paper (2009 paper) and then there was 30 minutes to lunch so I did nothing.
After lunch I went home, did a Physics paper and got 97.8%.

Really tired because it's been taking me a couple of hours to fall asleep recently and I'm not waking up at 9:30, I'm waking up between 8 and 8:30 so I'm not getting enough sleep and yeah...
Quick UpdateIt's the 30/03/16 today. It's half term and I'm just over half way through my exams.
So far I've had:
RS Ethics - I think it went quite well
Biology - Not so great.... but am applying for special consideration because we had a bird in our exam room.
French - I think it went well.... I'm pretty sure I've got at least an A in the exam.
Drama - I don't know.... I wrote a lot but not all of it was great
Chemistry - Went quite well.
Maths - Easy! (I looked on the unofficial mark scheme and I think I've got 88/100 in that exam)
English Lit (All 3 exams done) - 1 exam went quite well, 1 went okay and the other wasn't great.
Physics - Easy!
Geography - Literally have no idea.... My teacher said my answers were fine, but I'm just not sure...I haven't done a lot of work today....
I did about 2 hours of Add Maths with a friend, and that's it.
Tomorrow I need to get some Geography and some more Add Maths done.I'm now completely done with English Lit, French and Drama.
I'm going to miss drama the most! It was so much fun and whenever the class gets together, it's really nostalgic.I have 9 exams left, 5 next week and 4 the week after - and then there's only 1.5 weeks till I go away!!
Update 2

I am done!!! (Well I finished on Friday but the laptop I was using decided to crash)

RS Philosophy - Not too bad, I ended up using a bunch of knowledge I hadn't been taught in my unit 1, but I've done it before and got marks so meh.
Maths - I got 89 marks - the first paper I actually got 91, so I think I've got 180/200 which is 90% overall
Biology - I can't remember the paper at all... I don't think it went badly - all I remember is that were a lot of human biology questions which is what I expected.
Chemistry - C'est fantastique!!!! In my year the girls seemed to find it easier than the boys - so we'll see.
Physics - Meh.... The paper itself wasn't hard, but I was tired and my concentration kept wondering off to the other side of the room.
Geography (Human) - I think it went quite well...
Addmaths - Well everyone knows what happened there.... I've got at least 60, so there's a chance I've got an A.
English Lang - I have no clue whatsoever how I did. I was really excited for the exam, but some of the questions weren't great and neither was my "creative" piece, so we'll see,

I still really want 7A*s, 2As 1B but I have no idea about anything apart from Maths.

And now I get to relax for 2.5 months!!!
Update 2

I am done!!! (Well I finished on Friday but the laptop I was using decided to crash)

RS Philosophy - Not too bad, I ended up using a bunch of knowledge I hadn't been taught in my unit 1, but I've done it before and got marks so meh.
Maths - I got 89 marks - the first paper I actually got 91, so I think I've got 180/200 which is 90% overall
Biology - I can't remember the paper at all... I don't think it went badly - all I remember is that were a lot of human biology questions which is what I expected.
Chemistry - C'est fantastique!!!! In my year the girls seemed to find it easier than the boys - so we'll see.
Physics - Meh.... The paper itself wasn't hard, but I was tired and my concentration kept wondering off to the other side of the room.
Addmaths - Well everyone knows what happened there.... I've got at least 60, so there's a chance I've got an A.
English Lang - I have no clue whatsoever how I did. I was really excited for the exam, but some of the questions weren't great and neither was my "creative" piece, so we'll see,

I still really want 7A*s, 2As 1B but I have no idea about anything apart from Maths.

Wow, this is great - well done! :biggrin:
Reply 34
Update 2

You've pulled through! Well done :smile: It's a shame I still have three to go :frown:
Original post by kennethdcharles
You've pulled through! Well done :smile: It's a shame I still have three to go :frown:

Good Luck!! Which exams do you have left?
Reply 36
Good Luck!! Which exams do you have left?

Thanks! I have biology chemistry and physics left :smile:
Original post by kennethdcharles
Thanks! I have biology chemistry and physics left :smile:

Good Luck for them!!
Well guys, tomorrow is the big day and I'm terrified right now.

My mum came up to me and said "You should go to sleep early so you'll cope better tomorrow" and I instantly took that as if she thought I would need to "cope" with "failing" my GCSEs which meant she thought I would fail, and so I burst into tears.
Obviously.

Everyone around me is so p***ed because all I've been doing for the past week is announcing my fears that I've failed to everyone and I'm pretty sure they all want to kill me right now.

Anyways, my plan for tomorrow goes as follows.

7:30 - Wake up
7:45 - Get out of bed, do makeup
7:55 - Check GCSE results online (and hopefully film a reaction video?)
8:00 - Spend the rest of the day crying.

or
8:00 - Check to find which friends are going into school to get their results and then leave the house.
9:30 - With my hopefully (but probably not) good results, I shall go and travel across London to enrol at my hopeful future 6th form and attempt to explain to them all the paper work I need to fill in
10:30 - Actually enrol/
12:00 - Find myself in some random place in god knows where and get some more hours done for my NCS week 3
18:30 - Tell my brother I'd love him to take me out for pizza.
19:00 - Binge watch AHS
And then start with all my stupid 6th form prep like clothes.

Also if I'm not happy with my results I'll go straight to Luton airport (I need to take my passport with anyway for enrolment) and purchase a flight to Norway/

At some point next week I shall be herding goats.

Anyways.... I guess you can pick up on my mood from the above (hyper due to non-existent anxiety)

Alsos, I got a B in Addmaths last week which did make me upset until I found out most my class for a B.

Anyways - for tomorrow, I think I'll be happy with 6A*s, 2As, 2Bs but ideally I want 7A*s 1A 2Bs.

But we'll see.......

What I want (vs what I'll probably get)
Maths A*/A*
Physics A*/A*
Chemistry A*/A
Biology A*/A* (Actually I don't know because I hated paper 1)
English Lit + Lang - I want an A* in one of them, but I think I'll get an A in both (Well I could actually end up with a B, I mucked up both my papers)
RS - A*/A*
Geog - A*/A* (Let's see what I got in that stupid controlled assessment that took up all my Monday afternoons for 10 weeks)
French - B/C
Drama - B/B

So yeah.....

Meh.......
So heya guys....
After my second report in which my predicted grades have decreased, I have decided to work even harder than I usually do to try and prove all my teachers who have said I can't get an A* wrong.
These are my targets. The first letter is my actual predicted grade, the second is the target I've set myself.

Maths - A*/A* (My teacher said in December that she didn't think I'd be able to get an A* but somehow my predicted grade is still an A*)
English Lang - A/A*
English Lit - unknown/A (My teacher was being very confusing about my predicted grade but I think it's a B)
Physics - A/A* (If I don't get an A* I will cry because I love physics. And my teacher gave almost everyone in my class an A....)
Chemistry - A/A* (Been getting straight A*s this year in Chemistry - teacher gave all the class an A as a predicted grade)
Biology - A/A (My grades have been very inconsistent this year. I would LOVE an A*, but I feel it's unlikely)
French - B/B (woo!)
Drama - B/A
Geography -A/A* (My last geography teacher mucked up my classes controlled assessments so all our predicted grades decreased)
RS - A/A*
FSMQ Additional Maths - Unknown/A
Actual predictions: 1A*, 6A*s, 3Bs
My Targets: 6A*s, 2As, 2Bs + A FSMQ

I don't want to go to Oxbridge so my "low grades" wouldn't affect that.
I want to study Physics at uni or maybe some time of engineering.

And my mocks are on Monday :0 - I'm freaking out so much!!

I wake up between 8:30-9:30, shower, chill for 30 minutes and then start revision. I revise for 2 hours, eat lunch, revise for 3.5-4 hours, take a break, 1 hour, then I have supper and chill.
I suffer from mild insomnia so if I can't fall asleep, I work from 10:00 till 11:30-12:00
I try and do at least 6.5 hours of revision a day

What I did yesterday: 2 Geography units, Maths, Additional Maths, more Geography
What I've done/plan on doing today: Drama, Maths, Geography, English, Chemistry

So yeah....
This will basically be a "blog", updating on how all my work is going and what my grades are....

Here's what I got as opposed to what I was predicted way way back.

Maths - A*/A*
English Lang - A*/A
English - A/A (Which did go down to a B for a short period of time)
Physics - A*/A
Chem - A*/A
Biology - A*/A (Which did go up to an A* after mocks - even though I just scraped an A* now)
French - A/B - AND MY TEACHER CONVINCED ME I WAS GOING TO GET A C (But apparently she does this a lot)
Geography A/A (I really wanted an A*...... lol.....)
Drama - B/B
RS - A*/A (Went up to an A* after mocks)

So I was predicted, what? 1A*, 6As, 3Bs at the beginning?

And what did I get 6A*S, 3As and a B

So yes, if you work hard enough, you can prove your teachers wrong!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending