The Student Room Group

Help!! Which subject should I continue with, Biology or Psychology?!

Currently I'm studying History, English Lit, Biology and Psychology. My passion is History, so I want to do History at Uni. I was planning on dropping Psychology because apparently Biology is more respected by Universities. However, I got a D in my Bio test (I got A's in History and English). This made me start thinking that I should continue with Psychology, because at the end of the day, all I need from it is a good grade , and I think that's easier to achieve in Psychology?

Any advice is REALLY appreciated!!

Also, I do OCR for both Psychology and Biology :smile:
Psychology is more relevant to history, I'd continue this and drop biology if I were to do history

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Psychology is more relevant to history, I'd continue this and drop biology if I were to do history

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice:smile:
I had to make this decision last year aswell as my lowest grades were in bio and psychology. I was doing way worse in biology compared to my other subjects but didn't want to drop it because my other subjects were 'less respected'. However ultimately I would have not got accepted into uni with bio at A2 because my predicted grade would have been too low. Also the course I wanted to do didn't need a science so I dropped it. Psychology is much easier, at the end of the day I just want 3 good grades, I'm not too bothered about the subject they're in.
OCR A2 biology will kill you. Talking from experience.
Original post by sfarquhar0
OCR A2 biology will kill you. Talking from experience.

Really? Which other subjects did you take? :smile:
Original post by suchachocoholic
Really? Which other subjects did you take? :smile:

Also taking Chemistry and Sociology and I'm doing biomed at uni. I do really like biology (hence why I'm doing it at uni), but OCR are notoriously bad when it comes to exams. You could literally memorise the entire textbook word by word, but the kind of questions they ask you in the exam papers have nothing to do with anything and are really obscure. Also, there is a LOAD of content and its pretty detailed.
Original post by sfarquhar0
Also taking Chemistry and Sociology and I'm doing biomed at uni. I do really like biology (hence why I'm doing it at uni), but OCR are notoriously bad when it comes to exams. You could literally memorise the entire textbook word by word, but the kind of questions they ask you in the exam papers have nothing to do with anything and are really obscure. Also, there is a LOAD of content and its pretty detailed.

Ah okay, thanks so much for the advice!
I think you should keep psychology and drop biology (that's what I would do if I was in your situation at least!). History and English Literature are both strong subjects, so having one 'less respected' subject is fine. Carrying on a subject to A2 that you're already finding hard isn't likely to end well :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I think you should keep psychology and drop biology (that's what I would do if I was in your situation at least!). History and English Literature are both strong subjects, so having one 'less respected' subject is fine. Carrying on a subject to A2 that you're already finding hard isn't likely to end well :smile:

Thanks!! Which subjects do you take?? :smile:
Original post by suchachocoholic
Thanks!! Which subjects do you take?? :smile:

No worries! I did Geology, Geography and ICT for A Level (with AS Environmental Studies). I'm on a gap year at the moment, I'll be starting BSc Geoscience this September :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest