The Student Room Group

Switching Maths and Further Maths modules? Help please.

I'm in year 13 mid way through exams and I was wondering what all the combinations were for what modules I can use for maths and further maths. All help is much appreciated. :smile:

Modules:
- S1
- S2
- M1
- M2
- D1
- C1-4
- FP1-3

I know all cores have to stay in maths and all the further pure modules stay in further maths but thats about it. :?
Reply 1
You don't get a choice - the units are allocated automatically to maximise: your Maths grade, your FM grade and then your Maths UMS (in that order). You are right about that pure maths units, the applied unit combinations that could go in your Maths are:

Any 2 from M1, S1 and D1

S1 and S2

M1 and M2

The rest will go in FM.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
You don't get a choice - the units are allocated automatically to maximise: your Maths grade, your FM grade and then your Maths UMS (in that order). You are right about that pure maths units, the applied unit combinations that could go in your Maths are:

Any 2 from M1, S1 and D1

S1 and S2

M1 and M2

The rest will go in FM.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. My school told me that they will give you the lowest possible A* since i'm planning to get 90/90 in c3/4.
So they said edexcel will switch up the modules giving you the lowest possible A for regular maths.
I'm so confused.
Thanks for the reply once again. (:
Reply 3
Original post by Compost

Any 2 from M1, S1 and D1

S1 and S2

M1 and M2

The rest will go in FM.

Oh i think I get it now thank you. Just to clarify, this could be a possible combination right?

MATHS:
- C1-4
- M1
- D1

F.MATHS:
- FP1-3
- M2
- S1/2
Reply 4
Original post by blahblah21
Hey! Thanks for the reply. My school told me that they will give you the lowest possible A* since i'm planning to get 90/90 in c3/4.
So they said edexcel will switch up the modules giving you the lowest possible A for regular maths.

Maybe your school didn't notice when the system changed. They used to give you the best possible grade with the fewest UMS (so if you took 7 units they left you the best possible one unused to use on a future qualification) but they changed the system about (?)6 years ago to give you the max UMS (in case you have to quote it to a university) but let you swap everything around if you finish another GCE Maths qualification later on so that your grades are always maximised.
Reply 5
Original post by blahblah21
Oh i think I get it now thank you. Just to clarify, this could be a possible combination right?

MATHS:
- C1-4
- M1
- D1

F.MATHS:
- FP1-3
- M2
- S1/2

Yes. If you want to check the rules then they are here - http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information (but they are a fairly effective cure for insommnia).
(edited 7 years ago)
For As maths
Reply 7
Thanks so much guys <3
Original post by Compost
Yes. If you want to check the rules then they are here - http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information (but they are a fairly effective cure for insommnia).
Can M1 be moved to FM in As?
Reply 9
Original post by Kawaii289
Can M1 be moved to FM in As?

M1 can be in FM, as long as there is one of: D1 & S1, S1 & S2 or D1 & D2 to go in Maths.
Original post by Compost
M1 can be in FM, as long as there is one of: D1 & S1, S1 & S2 or D1 & D2 to go in Maths.

these are the modules that i have been doing in As maths.

Maths - C1 C2 M1
FM- FP1 S1 S2

can any of them be swapped in As- to maximise my grades?
these are the modules that i have been doing in As maths.
Maths - C1 C2 M1
FM- FP1 S1 S2
can any of them be swapped in As- to maximise my grades?

S1 could be in Maths AS. S2 could be in Maths A level.
Original post by Compost
S1 could be in Maths AS. S2 could be in Maths A level.

As im am not doing A2 yet, does that mean no swapping can be done during As?
As im am not doing A2 yet, does that mean no swapping can be done during As?

The applied units will be allocated into Maths and FM AS to maximise your grades automatically so there is no need to worry.

Quick Reply

Latest